Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
team bungles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's an old law that someone has dug up and is insisting is implemented? I think if the IM bike route is changed it may be the nail in the coffin for IM Lanza. I've heard that Kenneth Gasque is not in the best of health and that some of the other Canary Islands are lining up to take the race on (this was before the whole closed road thing materialised)

The revised 70.3 route looks awful and is already receiving negative feedback and as one of the least popular of the 70.3 races I can't see this lasting long. Will be a real shame if the iconic IM Lanzarote is changed or worse is lost for good.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team bungles wrote:
Apparently it's an old law that someone has dug up and is insisting is implemented? I think if the IM bike route is changed it may be the nail in the coffin for IM Lanza. I've heard that Kenneth Gasque is not in the best of health and that some of the other Canary Islands are lining up to take the race on (this was before the whole closed road thing materialised)

The revised 70.3 route looks awful and is already receiving negative feedback and as one of the least popular of the 70.3 races I can't see this lasting long. Will be a real shame if the iconic IM Lanzarote is changed or worse is lost for good.

think will hold fire with my ,
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bitten the bullet and have entered IM France 2018.

Anyone like to join me?
earthling

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:

Holding onto mine as well.

Met Kenneth last time we were there - he was very obviously not in the best of health and a different personality from the Guy I first met in 2009. It was quite a sad moment for me to be honest.

Checked the IM website and the bike course is still up there - but the caveat on the script reads that they can change the course at any time right up until race day.

When you factor in how many people actually visit the island and make a holiday out of that race so early in the holiday season it would be difficult for them to change it to the point people stop going. The race must be worth millions of Euro's to the tourist industry. Going to wait and see what happens before I commit.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthling wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:

Holding onto mine as well.

Met Kenneth last time we were there - he was very obviously not in the best of health and a different personality from the Guy I first met in 2009. It was quite a sad moment for me to be honest.

Checked the IM website and the bike course is still up there - but the caveat on the script reads that they can change the course at any time right up until race day.

When you factor in how many people actually visit the island and make a holiday out of that race so early in the holiday season it would be difficult for them to change it to the point people stop going. The race must be worth millions of Euro's to the tourist industry. Going to wait and see what happens before I commit.

i am guessing either way they ain,t going to let the cat out the bag untill the last min as i am sure it would have an impact on race numbers.

it would be a real shame if it does change ,but on a postive at least have ticked the box of a classic
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has changed since 2016

Please note the changes in Tinajo and riding towards Tias. Also note that Club La Santa IRONMAN Lanzarote Organization reserves the right to make changes to these routes until the last minute. Distance: 182.2km The course, well known for challenging athletes with strong island winds, takes you all around the island with over 2551 m. of climbing. Participants will enjoy amazing views and will have lots of support from the volunteers along the way. The bike circuit will be open to traffic and circulation will be controlled by the police. Please be careful at all times. Obey all police officers under all circumstances. The following gearing is advised: Rear cluster 12-25 Chain rings 5239

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/lanzarote/athletes/course.aspx#ixzz4rEnWBU3L
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Lanza at the moment, and have taken the opportunity to talk to a few of the tri shop proprietors. Some of the people I have spoken to are very close to the race organisers. It looks almost certain the bike course will change in 2018. The law demands closed roads, in both directions, which means the whole island will be shut down for the day. There seems very little appetite for this.

It's very sad - it's such an iconic and, dare I say it, epic course.

Still considering it though!
Ironman Wales - 2013
Gower Triathlon - 2014
Blenheim Triathlon 2015
Ironman Lanzarote - 2015
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:
. The law demands closed roads, in both directions, which means the whole island will be shut down for the day. There seems very little appetite for this.

Well is doesn't really, it requires half the island shut for the day and the other part for the morning, it could be done with a rolling style road closure to minimise impact.

Still its not going to cut it you can't close down the busy road section near Arrecife that would have to be closed nearly all day.

Really sad the race looks likely to suffer greatly from some idiotic bureaucracy Crying or Very sad The Bike course is what makes this race, Some half arsed multi lap course just won't cut it IMO
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They took the timings from the lead man, lead woman, and the sweeper car at various points on the course this year to see how long the roads will need to be closed for. Hopefully this will produce a workable solution, but it could mean more aggressive cut off times around the course to make sure sections of road reopen on schedule.

I'd be up for that if it keeps the course in its current format.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a positive note

at least been there done it ticked the box of the classic course ! ( all not very quick)

either way it will still be a tough day out Wink

did the original bike route back in the day not go from playa Blanca and do an out and back type route ( or something like that)
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for being positive - whatever changes they make, it will still be a great race. Maybe not as good as it once was, but still good.

Being in Lanza now reminds me how special this place is for sports. The scenery and atmosphere is great. Even now, months away from the last event, there's still Ironman t shirts wandering around.

Things may be different in the future, but it's still a great island.

For the hardcore out there, you could always ride the full course the day after the Ironman, just for posterity... 😜
Ironman Wales - 2013
Gower Triathlon - 2014
Blenheim Triathlon 2015
Ironman Lanzarote - 2015
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a real shame if they do end up having to make significant changes to the bike course. I'm all signed up, so I'll be there for my 6th Lanza whatever the course, but I would think twice about going back if it turned into a boring multi-lap course.

I guess the big problem is the relative lack of decent quality roads that can be closed all day without causing too much disruption to the rest of the island. If the existing course was completely closed in both directions then some of the resorts (e.g. CLS!) would be cut-off from the airport.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm quite likely to enter this. Concerned about the possible course change though. I've emailed the people who run TriSports Lanza which is where I went form y camp this year and am going next year, see if they know anything.

Worry is if they go to a loop to reduce the road closures it will stay down the PDC end of the island and that would cut out Mirador del Rio etc.

Be bringing the whole family and having a nice holiday out of it too. Anyone stayed at Gloria Izaro Club Hotel? Looks good, great position, pool etc. Not too expensive.
iwaters

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest what type of bikes to people ride at Lanza?

My road bike is rubbish, Trek 1.1 all Alu. My tri bike is brand new P3 with DI2 so the TT is better and lighter.
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters - Have you had any reply yet?

iwaters wrote:
So I'm quite likely to enter this. Concerned about the possible course change though. I've emailed the people who run TriSports Lanza which is where I went form y camp this year and am going next year, see if they know anything.

Worry is if they go to a loop to reduce the road closures it will stay down the PDC end of the island and that would cut out Mirador del Rio etc.

Be bringing the whole family and having a nice holiday out of it too. Anyone stayed at Gloria Izaro Club Hotel? Looks good, great position, pool etc. Not too expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: