Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Another Swiss race report; Zytterm Triathlon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Another Swiss race report; Zytterm Triathlon Reply with quote

Just a week after completing Rapperswil 70.3, I took part in Zytterm Olympic Distance triathlon in the town of Zug, 20 miles from Zurich.

A friend, Geordie, from my old Tri Club in Salisbury came over, to take part in his first OD triathlon. Flights from the UK to Zurich are surprisingly cheap, less than £100 return, and since I had a spare bike (well actually several), and live less than 400m from the transition area, it worked out pretty cheap to do.

The forecast for the weekend was mid 20ís with a chance of rain on Sunday and wind less than 5kph, the temperature forecast was spot on, luckily the only rain we saw was on a 1km stretch of the bike course, and the wind was almost absent.

On Friday evening we went for a 1000m swim in the lake, to get a feeling for the course. In an inspired move, I swam without a wetsuit, just to remind myself what OW swimming is like without neoprene

On Saturday, rather than have a nice relaxing day, we went off with the ZZP club for their weekly 80km ride, which includes a nice 500m climb to Satel. I couldnít let Geordie come to Switzerland without experiencing Swiss Cycling.

Despite being a big event on the Swiss Tri Circuit, with over 500 athletes, The Zytterm tri had a very relaxed atmosphere, somehow the Swiss just do things efficiently. Surprisingly, no race brief, I was told, just follow the marshals and you wonít go wrong, which in turn proved to be completely accurate, this was probably the best marshalled race I have ever done.

On the day of the race, we arrived at 0730, about 1 hour ahead of our 0825 start slot, racked the bike, and then heard a rather surprising announcementÖ. My Swiss German is not the best, however, I am sure that means no wetsuits. For the first time in this triathlonís 15 year history, the lake was above 22 degrees, the maximum temperature for wetsuits in the Swiss tri rule book.

Since Zurich IM in 6 weeks is likely to be a non-wetsuit swim, I was not terribly bothered about this, after all, itís the same for everyone. Geordie however, was more concerned, having never done an OW swim without a wetsuit, in fact he had never raced OW and only been OW swimming twice. I had a blinder of a swim, finishing in just over 26 minutes. Last week in Rapperswil, I struggled to get into a rhythm, however this time I had no issues at all. Despite his fears, Geordie also had an excellent swim, finishing in 34 minutes, clear, warm water certainly making this much less intimidating than many UK OW swims.

The bike course is blisteringly fast, I measured it as 39km, no big climbs, not technical sections, no traffic, although the first 500m are on cobbles through the old town, which keeps things interesting. I was more than pleased with my bike split of 57m14s, the 7th fastest of the day

After my epic performance on the bike, I was a little concerned about the run, however, spurred on by the spectacular scenery, great support and many well stocked aid stations, I completed the run in 43m35s, my fastest 10km run since my injury 15 months ago.

I have not done an OD for nearly 2 years, and my target time was 2h15m, I completed in 2h9m59s, over 20 minutes faster than my PB. Geordie, on his first ever OD, completed in 2h37m, which is a massive result.

Without doubt, the best Olympic triathlon I have done, well organised, lovely course and really fast. I know that traveling abroad for an Olympic distance is hard to justify, however, if you can do a long weekend, combine with a club ride with ZZP (an English speaking international cycling club), and do the event as part of an all-round training experience it is well worth it. If you are like Geordie, and not ready for your first middle or long distance race, but want to do something special I fully recommend this event
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. As JeffB alluded to on your other race report thread, I did not fair anywhere near as well when trying to slot in a standard distance race a week after a 70.3. I swam slower, I biked less power, and ran the 10k slower than the first 10k of the HM! Complete waste of time!

Looking good for you moving forwards if you can smash out those kind of times after a tough 70.3 race and going in unrested with the ride the day before.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Good work. As JeffB alluded to on your other race report thread, I did not fair anywhere near as well when trying to slot in a standard distance race a week after a 70.3. I swam slower, I biked less power, and ran the 10k slower than the first 10k of the HM! Complete waste of time!

Looking good for you moving forwards if you can smash out those kind of times after a tough 70.3 race and going in unrested with the ride the day before.

Thanks, this is what I love and hate about this sport. I just felt brilliant on the day. I felt I should have gone faster last week, so doing such a good time this weekend was a massive boost to my confidence.

I swam 12s/100m faster without a wetsuit, my bike power on the 70.3 was 78% ftp, and I managed 86% on the OD, while my run was more than 30s/km quicker, I ran the first 5k in 22:45 and second in 20:50, which is faster than I can run a stand alone Parkrun at the moment. Anyone know how I bottle this form to reuse on my IM?

I was much more tired after the OD than I was after the HIM, I guess the fatigue caught up with me. Having said that, after a really early night I feel really good today.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a nice race, but as you say a lot of people won't bother to go that far for an Olympic race, unless it's an ITU maybe.

Good performance as well.

Jeff
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I read your blog, and recon that the difference was travel: Both races were on my doorstep, and I hardly had to travel, on the other hand, you had flights, long drive etc, which all impacts recovery

The Zytterm tri in Zug was also an ITU qualifier for Lausanne, and it attracted a very strong entry, so it is nice to be within 115% of the AG winner (112%)
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking result there, Matt. Well done. Smile
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result, good write up and sounds like a beautiful race. Nice one dude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: