Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Achilles injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pop over there now then, ta.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked in for Friday at 11 Smile

The more I talk about it the more I'm thinking DNF Sad
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 231
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much resigned to DNF at Holkham Half - I want to be ready for IM Wales, so for me best bet is to do a good swim and a good ride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I am pretty much resigned to DNF at Holkham Half - I want to be ready for IM Wales, so for me best bet is to do a good swim and a good ride


Sorry to hear that Matt.

I've had positive news from the physio this morning. My right Achilles seems to be okay now, my left worse but not so bad. Apparently my calves are weak and very tight, and the tendons shorter than they should be, my medial glutes are also weak. Left calf weaker than right. Quads and gluteus maximus strong. But no painor damage on the Achilles themselves to speak of.

Ive got calf stretching, calf lifts to do and some sort of band to work my medial glutes with.

No restriction on swimming or cycling, first easy run planned Sunday, just around the block.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46


Last edited by Tin Pot on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 231
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin pot, glad you are on the road to recovery

Well there are positives to come out of my situation - my riding, which was already my strongest discipline, is improving even more, every ride I seem to be getting PBs on Strava Segments, especially up hills (which will stand me well for Wales). My Swimming is also coming on well, I am swimming 3800m 10 minutes faster than I was 3 months ago.

Since I am not running, I am focusing a lot more on core work - not my favorite, but hoping that developing good core muscles and fitness will compensate to some degree for lack of run mileage when I am finally running again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Tin pot, glad you are on the road to recovery

Well there are positives to come out of my situation - my riding, which was already my strongest discipline, is improving even more, every ride I seem to be getting PBs on Strava Segments, especially up hills (which will stand me well for Wales). My Swimming is also coming on well, I am swimming 3800m 10 minutes faster than I was 3 months ago.

Since I am not running, I am focusing a lot more on core work - not my favorite, but hoping that developing good core muscles and fitness will compensate to some degree for lack of run mileage when I am finally running again


That's good work there.

Has anyone suggested shoes being the source of the problem to you?

I'm a bit suspicious but the physio said that Adidas and Nike weren't good enough, I needed to be wearing Asics...which I think is a bit of a broad brush given the range of shoes they do.

I think support for the arches was what she was getting at. I used Asics GT-2000 last year, and Adidas Supernova Glide Boost 8 this year. Suggested I go back to the Asics if they're not worn out.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

I think support for the arches was what she was getting at. .


stand by, stand by...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I think support for the arches was what she was getting at. .


stand by, stand by...


Your thinking an insert recommendation right? They do have a podiatrist I could pay to see.

Did a little running this morning, 3x 5mins just jogging around the block. No pain.

Calf raises and stretches don't seem to aggravate it. Left feel fine now but right calf was/is still stiff/painful since the "release" of the "trigger points", or, since she dug her fingers in my leg.

I've noticed DOMS in my thighs now, think it's from lack of training - never felt it before. Hopefully indicating I'm recovering from the overtraining.

The plan is:
Today - 15mins run, 1hr turbo easy
Mon - 2hr turbo moderate, 1.5hrs swim hard
Tuesday - run easy upto 30mins
Weds - 1.5hr turbo moderate, 1.5hr swim hard
Thurs - run/walk upto 60-90
Fri - travel/lake swim easy
Saturday - 30mins bike easy, drive bike course
Sunday - Wimbleball, hammer the swim and bike then walk/run easy Smile
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I think support for the arches was what she was getting at. .


stand by, stand by...


Your thinking an insert recommendation right? They do have a podiatrist I could pay to see.

Did a little running this morning, 3x 5mins just jogging around the block. No pain.

Calf raises and stretches don't seem to aggravate it. Left feel fine now but right calf was/is still stiff/painful since the "release" of the "trigger points", or, since she dug her fingers in my leg.

I've noticed DOMS in my thighs now, think it's from lack of training - never felt it before. Hopefully indicating I'm recovering from the overtraining.

The plan is:
Today - 15mins run, 1hr turbo easy
Mon - 2hr turbo moderate, 1.5hrs swim hard
Tuesday - run easy upto 30mins
Weds - 1.5hr turbo moderate, 1.5hr swim hard
Thurs - run/walk upto 60-90
Fri - travel/lake swim easy
Saturday - 30mins bike easy, drive bike course
Sunday - Wimbleball, hammer the swim and bike then walk/run easy Smile


why do you need to do all that running before the race?

i was thinking what exercises she gave you to strengthen your arches?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I think support for the arches was what she was getting at. .


stand by, stand by...


Your thinking an insert recommendation right? They do have a podiatrist I could pay to see.

Did a little running this morning, 3x 5mins just jogging around the block. No pain.

Calf raises and stretches don't seem to aggravate it. Left feel fine now but right calf was/is still stiff/painful since the "release" of the "trigger points", or, since she dug her fingers in my leg.

I've noticed DOMS in my thighs now, think it's from lack of training - never felt it before. Hopefully indicating I'm recovering from the overtraining.

The plan is:
Today - 15mins run, 1hr turbo easy
Mon - 2hr turbo moderate, 1.5hrs swim hard
Tuesday - run easy upto 30mins
Weds - 1.5hr turbo moderate, 1.5hr swim hard
Thurs - run/walk upto 60-90
Fri - travel/lake swim easy
Saturday - 30mins bike easy, drive bike course
Sunday - Wimbleball, hammer the swim and bike then walk/run easy Smile


why do you need to do all that running before the race?

i was thinking what exercises she gave you to strengthen your arches?


There's only three runs, 15mins, 30 and 60-90. Does that seem a lot? I haven't run much for over a week, I want to bring myself back up to a little volume before what I expect will be over 2hrs15 run/walk on Sunday.

She gave me daily calf raises, calf stretching and medial glute exercises. Said I could swim and bike as much as I wanted, said I could run 30 on Tuesday and see how I feel.

How much running would you think more reasonable?
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 831
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a half this weekend.

I am fit and uninjured.

I might do around 30mins in a single run this Wednesday, light pace.

That is it.

a couple of short bikes and a swim, along with an acclimatization swim will be my total training load this week.

Do you really think 90mins of running on the Thursday before a race will actually help the race, or do you not care about the race and just using it for pre IM volume?


Last edited by SGreg on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1135
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered with Achilles tendonitis in consecutive years a few years back, in one then the other ankle. It really is a difficult injury to shake off. Rest was the only way in the end, although calf raises etc did , i think, help for when i did get back running.

Running for 60-90 mins with a potentially un-recovered (ie injured) achilles sounds bonkers to me, but i guess i can get my head around why you would want to chance it in a race. Running for 60-90 mins 3 days before a race, even healthy, sounds almost as bonkers.... but with an injury like that.. that's surely pure madness?

I hope it holds up for you ok, best of luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I think support for the arches was what she was getting at. .


stand by, stand by...


Your thinking an insert recommendation right? They do have a podiatrist I could pay to see.

Did a little running this morning, 3x 5mins just jogging around the block. No pain.

Calf raises and stretches don't seem to aggravate it. Left feel fine now but right calf was/is still stiff/painful since the "release" of the "trigger points", or, since she dug her fingers in my leg.

I've noticed DOMS in my thighs now, think it's from lack of training - never felt it before. Hopefully indicating I'm recovering from the overtraining.

The plan is:
Today - 15mins run, 1hr turbo easy
Mon - 2hr turbo moderate, 1.5hrs swim hard
Tuesday - run easy upto 30mins
Weds - 1.5hr turbo moderate, 1.5hr swim hard
Thurs - run/walk upto 60-90
Fri - travel/lake swim easy
Saturday - 30mins bike easy, drive bike course
Sunday - Wimbleball, hammer the swim and bike then walk/run easy Smile


why do you need to do all that running before the race?

i was thinking what exercises she gave you to strengthen your arches?


There's only three runs, 15mins, 30 and 60-90. Does that seem a lot? I haven't run much for over a week, I want to bring myself back up to a little volume before what I expect will be over 2hrs15 run/walk on Sunday.

She gave me daily calf raises, calf stretching and medial glute exercises. Said I could swim and bike as much as I wanted, said I could run 30 on Tuesday and see how I feel.

How much running would you think more reasonable?


you have to ask yourself the question - what will I gain from doing this training v what is the risk?

training benefit = minimal
psychological benefit if successful = good
psychological benefit if unsuccessful = bad
risk of further injury based on previous experience = likely
likelihood of residual fatigue compared to appropriate taper = likely
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool - I'll make it another short easy run.

Wimbleball is prep for IMUK as was Pay D'Aix, the plan was to train through both but it's not worked out that way.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2197
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 4km, had a few beers then 2km and walked home. No pain but the same feelings came back.

Calf raises don't seem hard or concerning. Might switch to single leg calf raises.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.