Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Felt stockist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Felt stockist Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can look at a Felt IA and try one for size? Preferably not 100's of miles from Manchester.
Rooster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the same think the other day.

I came across :

https://www.lakes-cycles.com/felt-ia-16-time-trial-bike-2017

It's the lakes, so hardly close ...
Cup of Tri Podcast
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JE James in sheffield are a felt stockist.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, checked with them and the AI are only to order. So basically you can't try a Felt AR frame unless you buy a bike Rolling Eyes
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are frames really that different as long as in the correct size range, with smaller always being better than larger if you are in-between sizes? If you have really set your heart on the Felt then how different is it going to be to something else with similar geometry? I never had I correct-sized bike frame that I didn't get to like once I played around with the stem, seat, bars and crank a bit, The stem is always the thing that really makes the ride, with bar width and hood positions being next. Unless you are a seasoned all-year round rider then the more you ride, the more likely and the better off you are to adjust the fit during the season as your fitness and flexibility develops. I don't just jump back on a TT bike in spring after a winter on road/MTB bikes without a few changes to relax the position and then gradually stretch it out again over time.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Are frames really that different as long as in the correct size range, with smaller always being better than larger if you are in-between sizes? If you have really set your heart on the Felt then how different is it going to be to something else with similar geometry? I never had I correct-sized bike frame that I didn't get to like once I played around with the stem, seat, bars and crank a bit, The stem is always the thing that really makes the ride, with bar width and hood positions being next. Unless you are a seasoned all-year round rider then the more you ride, the more likely and the better off you are to adjust the fit during the season as your fitness and flexibility develops. I don't just jump back on a TT bike in spring after a winter on road/MTB bikes without a few changes to relax the position and then gradually stretch it out again over time.

I currently have a Felt DA that is a 56 but is too short for me and I'm a bit cramped up. I may have written it off hence looking for a new bike and obviously don't want another 56 frame but also don't want to spunk my money away on a 58 if I'm not comfortable on it.

There are other options, the Giant seems pretty adjustable and there are many more but I really did want an IA1 if it fitted me. I've just spent 3 years riding a bike that doesn't really fit me because I bought it on looks and a supposedly experienced retailer/fitter telling me a 56 would be perfect (it wasn't even bought from him).

After typing all that I just realised you probably mean find a bike with the same measurements as the 58, try it, if it fits, buy the Felt.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how tall are you, and what is your inside leg measurement?

What have you tried to change on the 56 to make it fit? Longer, higher, steeper stem, saddle/seatpost higher and further back, different bars, different hood positions, different crank lengths? At a real push you would have to change the forks to get a greater stack height if the fork tube is cut too short. If you have tri-bars then lots of position/angle finding required also.

You can make changes to help a slightly smaller frame fit much more effectively than you can make a frame which is too large fit, so be careful which way you go.

Modern front-loading stems take about 5 mins to change. Ergo-stems used to be popular that were really adjustable for length and angle, but then everyone got obsessed with weight/flex and they seem to have almost disappeared.
If you can't borrow an ergo-stem, buy a collection of cheap stems of different lengths and angles and try them out. If you really set your heart on one after that then you can always drop 50quid plus on a carbon version with the same geometry (don't forget the coloured Ti bolts!), but I can pretty much guarantee it won't actually make you any faster than the cheap steel or alu one.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Out of interest, how tall are you, and what is your inside leg measurement?

What have you tried to change on the 56 to make it fit? Longer, higher, steeper stem, saddle/seatpost higher and further back, different bars, different hood positions, different crank lengths? At a real push you would have to change the forks to get a greater stack height if the fork tube is cut too short. If you have tri-bars then lots of position/angle finding required also.

You can make changes to help a slightly smaller frame fit much more effectively than you can make a frame which is too large fit, so be careful which way you go.

Modern front-loading stems take about 5 mins to change. Ergo-stems used to be popular that were really adjustable for length and angle, but then everyone got obsessed with weight/flex and they seem to have almost disappeared.
If you can't borrow an ergo-stem, buy a collection of cheap stems of different lengths and angles and try them out. If you really set your heart on one after that then you can always drop 50quid plus on a carbon version with the same geometry (don't forget the coloured Ti bolts!), but I can pretty much guarantee it won't actually make you any faster than the cheap steel or alu one.

I'm 184 cm and 33 inch inside leg and after a fit and also little adjustments my optimum saddle height is 31.5 inches from the middle of the bottom bracket on a 172.5 crank.

I've got the pads pushed forward as far as they can go but the stem in nonadjustable apart from tilting up and down which I have tilted up to raise my hands on the S-bars.
I could get longer bars and move get the pads custom made to be pushed further forward on the bars to stretch myself out but then I'd be hanging over t he front wheel which assume is pretty dangerous and hard to control.
Changing the forks isn't an option due to the integrated stem (I believe)

chunkytfg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a better Bike shop i'd suggest!

The wholesaler who your shop gets felts from will have demo bikes they take around the shops.

My local(north london) dealer got me in a B series and an IA for me to try for a couple of weeks.

Most reps are able to get in demo bikes for you to try it just depends if the shop can be bothered to arrange it(well I mean make a single phone call)

Oly PB=2.47.01 @18.5stone!

Will hopefully one day make 'race weight' !!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem that shops are reticent to have many decent Tri bikes on inventory. Even the Triathlon Shop in Bristol had very few until recently, but they do seem to have a few more on show now. I always found them having 2 or 3 tri bikes on display an oddity given their name. They are a Felt dealer, but obviously nowhere near Manchester. Saddleback are the distributor, maybe you could drop them a line?
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
It does seem that shops are reticent to have many decent Tri bikes on inventory. Even the Triathlon Shop in Bristol had very few until recently, but they do seem to have a few more on show now.

I guess it's a lot of money to have tied up in stock.

It probably makes sense for retailers to have some on display so that customers can see them "in the flesh", but if you had a fleet of them for people to try out I reckon you'd get a fair number of people who would try them for size and then order cheaper from elsewhere on the internet Rolling Eyes
Rooster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised that Phil at D and M cycles in Warrington is a Felt dealer. He's a triathlete too, used to have a Tri bike or two in stock, It's been a couple of years since I've been to his shop though

I'm thinking of giving him a ring to investigate an IA myself. I'll let you know. Doubt he has one in, but he might be able to get one from Saddleback for us to have a look at?

R
Cup of Tri Podcast
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers but I gave up trying after ringing around a lot of places and went to Liverpool to the Giant shop and got a Trinity Advanced Pro. It's being delivered on Weds. Cool
Rooster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Cheers but I gave up trying after ringing around a lot of places and went to Liverpool to the Giant shop and got a Trinity Advanced Pro. It's being delivered on Weds. Cool

I was thinking of going down there for a look too. Do they have them in stock to try / feel / lick the paintwork ? Smile
Cup of Tri Podcast
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:
PCP wrote:

I was thinking of going down there for a look too. Do they have them in stock to try / feel / lick the paintwork ? Smile

The new one is there in a Medium and the old one is there in a large (same frame geometry as the new one)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: