Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Election question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Mi5 didn't need a folder on Corbin....it was all in the public domain....his support for Hamas and the IRA is well documented....
i believe that my file is two storage boxes thick!
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what will be going through the minds of TM and Corbin tonight as they try to sleep?
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tomorrow night is going to be more stressful for them.

If Corbyn reads TT he is probably wondering why some self-proclaimed highly educated individuals consistently still can't even spell his name properly.

Can't be bothered to check back through your drivel, but do you also confuse the current PM with an aging adult model?Twisted Evil
Teresa

Theresa

Hopefully you don't live in Rochdale, because I hate to think how you would mangle their current MP's name (Simon Danczuk).
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
I think tomorrow night is going to be more stressful for them.

If Corbyn reads TT he is probably wondering why some self-proclaimed highly educated individuals consistently still can't even spell his name properly.

Can't be bothered to check back through your drivel, but do you also confuse the current PM with an aging adult model?Twisted Evil
Teresa

Theresa

Hopefully you don't live in Rochdale, because I hate to think how you would mangle their current MP's name (Simon Danczuk).
yes I do seem to have a computer spelling problem Tony, (doesn't seem to apply with handwriting) so good of you to remind me. It's been there as long as computers have. Which is why I constantly reread posts correcting spelling, many times. If I let it get to me I wouldn't have posted anywhere over the past couple of decades.

Re drivel, well one mans drivel is another mans opinion.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
...one mans drivel is another mans opinion.

Are you prepared to put yours to the vote? Razz
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
SloggingScotsman wrote:
...one mans drivel is another mans opinion.

Are you prepared to put yours to the vote? Razz
one day yes, I had rather hoped to stand as a mep but couldn't afford to, but British politics well I know that I would have zero impact there the way that it works.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Whisk wrote:
There's always a lot of focus on the party leaders and who would make the better PM, but the reality is that under our current system you're voting for your local constituency MP and the vast majority of seats never change hands. The balance of power is always with the people in the marginal constituencies.

In my constituency, at the last election the Labour candidate got 53% of the vote, with the Tory a distant 2nd on 28% and the LibDems, UKIP and Greens on about 5% each. There's a slight curve-ball in that our MP campaigned very vocally for Brexit when over 80% of the constituents voted Remain. She's been criticised heavily for that and Tories and LibDems have both fielded pro-Remain candidates, but even if there is a Brexit-related swing away from Labour, the transferring votes will probably be split between the other parties and Labour will still be the biggest party.

I'll still vote because it's my constitutional right and everyone should vote, but I'll do so without any real illusions that I'm making a difference to the composition of parliament.

Sounds like you're in my constituency. From what I've seen in my building, the people who were Remainer's are still putting Labour placards up in their window, so I don't think her referendum stance will end up making that much difference.

I agree I can't see her not winning (sadly), but I'll still cast my vote. The interesting thing for me is who will come second. The LD's have flyered me to death, so they're clearly going hard in the area. I actually only found out who our Conservative candidate is this week. From what I read up on her, she actually seems really switched on and genuine (as far as you can tell from online research).

Yep, from the volume of flyers that have come through the door, I'd assumed that it was a 2-horse race between Labour and the Tories. I was surprised to find that the LibDems were so far off the pace at the last election, given the amount of effort that they are putting in this time round, but maybe the LibDem vote was particularly low at the last election because of the coalition effect and they hope that they're a more natural switch from Labour than the Tories would be. The Labour flyers tend to make a big thing about Tim Farron's views on homosexuality, which I assume is aimed at the very large pink vote in this area.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged my income into Labour's own tax calculator the other day and I must be one of "the few" because their tax proposals would put me about 400 per month worse off Shocked

Now I could probably cover that by cutting back on my personal pension contributions and trimming my spending, but I don't tend to have 400 in surplus cash sloshing around in my bank account at the end of every month Rolling Eyes
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:

autocorrect on my phone, brief moments between moving house to post, and a lack of desire to be arsed to correct it...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people complain about public services in the UK, the state of our infrastructure; on the other hand they don't want to pay more tax to fund improvements. Seems like an issue. Labour are criticised for their funding 'black holes' as much as the Conservatives are lamented for privatising and austerity. At least the Lib Dems are honest and say they would increase Income Tax; even if they won't be the Govt.

The German system does a lot of things that we are warned against, as they would hurt the UK economy (include more taxation); yet this is a country with a very high standard of living, an abundance of well paid industrial/manufacturing jobs and an infrastructure that puts us to shame.

Seems to me that this country is still all about spreading the scare stories about changing the status quo, in order that the 'system' and the (for want of a better word) 'Establishment' can continue to make big money from it. Chinese billionaires don't give a toss if the infrastructure we have is crap, as long as they turn a profit from it.

It's a shame our only choice right now is a black & white one: the ongoing hegemony or Jeremy Corbyn.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I plugged my income into Labour's own tax calculator the other day and I must be one of "the few" because their tax proposals would put me about 400 per month worse off Shocked

Now I could probably cover that by cutting back on my personal pension contributions and trimming my spending, but I don't tend to have 400 in surplus cash sloshing around in my bank account at the end of every month Rolling Eyes

whilst i don't have that particular problem, i guess many companies and high income people will simply look for a way to avoid the additional costs...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
A lot of people complain about public services in the UK, the state of our infrastructure; on the other hand they don't want to pay more tax to fund improvements. Seems like an issue. Labour are criticised for their funding 'black holes' as much as the Conservatives are lamented for privatising and austerity. At least the Lib Dems are honest and say they would increase Income Tax; even if they won't be the Govt.

The German system does a lot of things that we are warned against, as they would hurt the UK economy (include more taxation); yet this is a country with a very high standard of living, an abundance of well paid industrial/manufacturing jobs and an infrastructure that puts us to shame.

Seems to me that this country is still all about spreading the scare stories about changing the status quo, in order that the 'system' and the (for want of a better word) 'Establishment' can continue to make big money from it. Chinese billionaires don't give a toss if the infrastructure we have is crap, as long as they turn a profit from it.

It's a shame our only choice right now is a black & white one: the ongoing hegemony or Jeremy Corbyn.

is that the Lib Dems who broke their pledge on tuition fees? Did their leader also not have to adjust his position on homesexual sex recently (no pun intended)?

The germans have self respect and this, as much as anything, makes for a far more productive society. I've never understood the british attitude on this...

The public services need modernising and to be run more efficiently and our lack of planning has left them in a perilous financial state...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

is that the Lib Dems who broke their pledge on tuition fees? Did their leader also not have to adjust his position on homesexual sex recently (no pun intended)?

When you're the obvious minority partner in any arrangement, you tend to have to make compromises. It's a Tory policy so not sure why they or their voters would feel a need to go on about it.

I'm pretty sure it's okay to have sex away from your home, as long as it's not a public place.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:

whilst i don't have that particular problem, i guess many companies and high income people will simply look for a way to avoid the additional costs...

I was talking to a tax partner from one of the big accountancy firms yesterday and he was saying that the attitude of companies to tax has changed completely in recent years. Previously, companies put in a lot of effort to reduce their effective tax rate so that it's a s low as possible. Now there's so much focus on corporate tax paid from the media and shareholder groups that few companies adopt aggressive tax planning schemes for fear of attention being brought to them. Whether that would change if the UK moved from being a low tax jurisdiction to a high tax one remains to be seen.

As for personal tax, most of us are employees and pay our tax via PAYE. There's not a lot you can do to avoid that. The people who will avoid the higher tax rates will be the very well paid who can access the complex tax avoidance schemes.
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:

As for personal tax, most of us are employees and pay our tax via PAYE. There's not a lot you can do to avoid that. The people who will avoid the higher tax rates will be the very well paid who can access the complex tax avoidance schemes.

According to Labour, that is everyone earning over 80k p/a. I doubt that many people between 80 - 100k have any ability to access tax avoidance schemes (except for ISAs/Pensions/Charitable Giving)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: