Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Do you use sealant in your inner tubes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Do you use sealant in your inner tubes? Reply with quote

Just wondering. I understand sealant in road inner tubes at high pressures isnít great. But if its 50/50 then maybe itís still worth using and better than nothing, especially on an ironman bike leg if it 'could' help. Does anyone use it and if so which one? A lot seem to be designed for tubeless systems but which work in tubes?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never bothered myself. I race on tubs, and quite expensive ones at that; I don't want sealant going hard in my fancy tubs between racing seasons.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never bothered with it on dog knows how many years of riding
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run sealant in my clinchers with Latex tubes and use this set up for longer races and/or where there are rougher road surfaces.

Checked my front a couple of days back and noticed two sealed holes, so two flats avoided for the sake of 25g of Stan's in each tube.

PS I think most if not all of the extra weight/rolling resistance is covered by running a lower puncture resistance tyre and on key races not carrying a spare tube on race day.

Oi knee, do one....
Aldo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to give sealant a go and bought some Orange Seal and installed it prior to my last 70.3. No punctures so I canít say whether it works or not. What I would say is it is a pain when it comes to sticking in the valve and leaking out when trying to pump up the tyres. I had nightmares before my 70.3 that the valve would be stuck and I wouldnít be able to pump up my tyres on race morning! It worked but was so sticky that air leaked out when the pump was removed until the valve was screwed in.

Anyway, I feel that the hassles do not outweigh the potential positive so I think for my ironman it will be new tubes without sealant. Interesting experiment but not for me
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently sealant ends up degrading latex over a long period, so I wouldn't use it in tubulars or in tubes I'm intending to leave over winter for example.

You can get "emergency" sealant - see Vittoria PitStop or Effeto Mariposa, which seals and inflates in the case of punctures.
iainm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tubs and have never used sealant. In shorter races if I can a puncture that's it, for longer ones I carry a spare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: