Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
It's a long road back!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: It's a long road back! Reply with quote

After completing Ironman Wales and Lanza a few years ago, I took a break to repay the time-debt I surely owed my family! It was also slightly enforced, as I broke my wrist. I would love to say it was on a heroic descent, but I fell off a Segway, in a kitchen, after drinking rum.

Started slowly getting back into it over the last few weeks. I'm now 44, and I've noticed it is significantly harder to get back to form. I appreciate a few weeks is nowhere near enough, but last time I returned from an extended period of rest I could easily knock out 4 - 5 miles on a run. Now I'm finding myself working up to 3.

I've also done a few turbo sessions, and my power levels are way down.

So I'm sat here with very painful legs, but it's a very familiar and comfortable pain - I'm just glad I'm still of a frame of mind and physically able to return to training.

It's going to be a slow road back to Lanza next year, but at least I'm back on it, and feeling great. Humbled, but great!

It feels good just to share that I'm training again!

Ozzie
Ironman Wales - 2013
Gower Triathlon - 2014
Blenheim Triathlon 2015
Ironman Lanzarote - 2015
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: It's a long road back! Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:
I would love to say it was on a heroic descent, but I fell off a Segway, in a kitchen, after drinking rum.

Well your a hero to me Laughing

Currently fighting my way back from a year of no exercise and nearly there. You will find the first few months are very hard but once you get your body back used to it, it all comes thick and fast.

Good luck
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie
Stick at it mate.

I know several potential athletes who simply cant train with any regular workload due to injury or illness.
One could be a real shifter, but life debilitating illness come before age group gongs.
personally this helps when the pain comes.

As you say at least we can and at least we want too. I get the sore legs thing...it's sort of comforting.

You have picked a beast of a race to come back too, Chapeau to you!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon chance!

One day you'll have to regain us with how the Segway got to be in the kitchen Wink
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: