Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New Tri bike?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: New Tri bike? Reply with quote

I'm looking at a new trip bike but I'm torn by the options out there:

- great deals/ prices on Boardman but I hear the odd horror story especially regarding the integrated brakes.

- I love the Canyons but hear horror stories about the customer service.

- I sense that some other good bikes are overpriced due to the branding e.g. Servile, Scott etc

Any thoughts or experiences please...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most proprietary integrated brake systems have had their detractors at one time or other. Do you intend to travel regular with it? If so, you might want to consider something with regular brake placements like the P3, also good if you like to self-maintain.

Does anyone walk into a shop and buy expensive bikes these days?
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I think most proprietary integrated brake systems have had their detractors at one time or other. Do you intend to travel regular with it? If so, you might want to consider something with regular brake placements like the P3, also good if you like to self-maintain.

My friend did (and crashed it on his second ride out) Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

I was in the market for a Tri bike earlier this year and had given a lot of thought to it, as I also want it for Open TT duties. I had two stipulations, first was that I wanted wireless shifting and the second was that I wanted regular brake placement.

I do all my own bike building, wrenching, everything. I would have no worries dealing with any issues mechanically with BB placed rear brake but a big part of my reasoning was, even if I can fix something I'd rather not have to'

I used to get a long ok on TT bike but I'm old, slow and busy with our little one these days, so convenience over a pooftenth of a time saving on the course is a higher priority.

I bought a NOS 2015 P3, it's the first built bike I've bought in over 20yrs. I relented on the mechanical (my first ever Shimano equipped bike) with the reasoning that once I get a feel for how much use this bike is actually going to get, I'll throw Etap on there.

I was going with an Argon 18 E117 and if it weren't for the deal I got on the P3, I would have gone with that. More adjustability than you can throw a stick at and looks better IMO.

Every bike will be a compromise of some sort. i don't like the length or the make of cranks on my bike, so they're being swapped for a 165mm version and at the same time I'll fit a Wheels Mfg BBright BB for Shimano.

The Magura hydraulic brake stop my Zipp 404s real well but i wouldn't lose sleep if they were replaced with mechanical.

I've always been a pretty 'anti' Cervelo guy and at their regular RRP I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but bu33er me it's not hard to see why they are popular. Fast, handles great, easy to work on.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I was in the market for a Tri bike earlier this year and had given a lot of thought to it, as I also want it for Open TT duties. I had two stipulations, first was that I wanted wireless shifting and the second was that I wanted regular brake placement.

I do all my own bike building, wrenching, everything. I would have no worries dealing with any issues mechanically with BB placed rear brake but a big part of my reasoning was, even if I can fix something I'd rather not have to'

I used to get a long ok on TT bike but I'm old, slow and busy with our little one these days, so convenience over a pooftenth of a time saving on the course is a higher priority.

I bought a NOS 2015 P3, it's the first built bike I've bought in over 20yrs. I relented on the mechanical (my first ever Shimano equipped bike) with the reasoning that once I get a feel for how much use this bike is actually going to get, I'll throw Etap on there.

I was going with an Argon 18 E117 and if it weren't for the deal I got on the P3, I would have gone with that. More adjustability than you can throw a stick at and looks better IMO.

Every bike will be a compromise of some sort. i don't like the length or the make of cranks on my bike, so they're being swapped for a 165mm version and at the same time I'll fit a Wheels Mfg BBright BB for Shimano.

The Magura hydraulic brake stop my Zipp 404s real well but i wouldn't lose sleep if they were replaced with mechanical.

I've always been a pretty 'anti' Cervelo guy and at their regular RRP I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but bu33er me it's not hard to see why they are popular. Fast, handles great, easy to work on.

What's a pooftenth, and do I need to consider shaving mine for aerodynamic savings?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trek has a BB rear brake and Tri Rig on the front. Certainly on the Trek, you want an inline barrel adjuster if you race & train on different width rims. I placed mine just where it enters the top-tube. The Omega brake is easy to adjust with an allen key - I believe the new Argon integrated brakes are the same: allen key to adjust pad distance Cool

Argon bikes do look great, and the quality of finish in my experience is great.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:

What's a pooftenth, and do I need to consider shaving mine for aerodynamic savings?

It's bit more than a gnat's todger Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already in the sale - you could bag this P5X Wink

http://shop.edelrad.de/en/p5/2383-cervelo-p5x-etap-2017-p5-x.html
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just serviced my P3 as it enters its 10th year of service...without wanting to temp fate, pretty much indestructible despite two big smashes including snapped forks and cracked bars...

for value for money though, i don't think you can beat a P2

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
just serviced my P3 as it enters its 10th year of service...without wanting to temp fate, pretty much indestructible despite two big smashes including snapped forks and cracked bars...

I don't think the P2 is that great value TBH. pretty basic bars, 105 with Tektro brakes and the cheaper fork. Neither the P2 or P3 is great value but I think the P3 is better VFM in comparison.

I wish they'd just sell P2 frames, they'd go like hotcakes as it would be an amazing platform.
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I don't think the P2 is that great value TBH. pretty basic bars, 105 with Tektro brakes and the cheaper fork. Neither the P2 or P3 is great value but I think the P3 is better VFM in comparison.

I wish they'd just sell P2 frames, they'd go like hotcakes as it would be an amazing platform.

Isn't the P2 frame the same as the P3 but with a different fork?

If the OP is looking to spend P3 type money its worth getting a bike fit done first.

I am very tall and when I had mine done there only 2-3 bikes that were even suitable for me.

If you go for the P3 you might be in for a wait. Ordered mine a month ago and its not coming till end of June. #firstworldproblem
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
FatPom wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Isn't the P2 frame the same as the P3 but with a different fork?

If the OP is looking to spend P3 type money its worth getting a bike fit done first.

I am very tall and when I had mine done there only 2-3 bikes that were even suitable for me.

If you go for the P3 you might be in for a wait. Ordered mine a month ago and its not coming till end of June. #firstworldproblem

Frame wise, yes. Components and cockpit, no.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I actually meant the P2 frame as opposed to an OE option....that said, eBay bargains abound

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argon 18 E116.
Medium.
Had done 112 miles and four hours on a turbo, you could have put it back in the shop it was that clean.
Firecrest 808-404 clinchers with Sram 1090 cassette.
Came with Zipp Vukas but I swoped them for Easton attacks and made some money back and made it sub 18 llbs.
Swopped the Sram red for 10 speed di2, Dura ace.
Total cost....... after selling original bits
2.3 k + 200 bike build fees, they even serviced it.

If you know what fits NEVER buy a new bike.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving the Argon18 E118, self build though, with Athena and Campag Bullet 80s, and ISM Adamo TT. Probably around 2.5K.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: