Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Are wrist based heart monitors accurate or is the jury out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waddy-UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Are wrist based heart monitors accurate or is the jury out? Reply with quote

Hi all, heard a lot about the watches with heart rate monitors not being accurate. I just wondered what those in the knows thoughts are on this thanks?

I use a chest monitor but they can be a pain but heard bad reviews about the stats and accuracy of wrist based monitors.

Thanks
Tigger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seems to work very well. I've compared it to my chest strap on bike rides and its been the same.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to have my strap very loose as I swell up. I think this would affect the optical reading!

I use the Garmin hard plastic strap Smile
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AW2 is intermittent in my experience, but not such an issue as you can clearly tell what is a good measurement when looking at the numbers live or after the fact.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
iwaters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very recent study concluded that they are a bit #@?#:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170308145327.htm

Chest straps came out quite well. In terms of proper scientific studies the one above sucks as it only had 30 volunteers so draw your own conclusion
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read any of DCR's reviews on optical, he pretty much always says the same thing. It's very personal, and can be hit and miss. Skin tone/hairy-ness/freckles or moles/etc. I've tried one optical device and it was awful for me and I'm fairly neutral skin tone, not hairy and have no skin blemishes!

Plus, I don't have any issue with chest straps. I generally don't understand the issue with them. I've had races where I've gone for lunch/dinner immediately after, and about 3hrs later I realise I'm still wearing it...i find them hardly noticeable
andyjsg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a fenix 5x and to be honest it can go from spot on to very vague to downright incorrect - usually in the same run.
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared mine to a Garmin chest strap and it was within 1bpm at all times.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not checking whether you're dead or have a dodgy heart. So unless it is wildly inaccurate (more than 50bpm out), there's no difference.

Comes down to comfort. My wrist based works great and as a woman is so much more comfortable than fighting between bra straps and HRM straps.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
You're not checking whether you're dead or have a dodgy heart. So unless it is wildly inaccurate (more than 50bpm out), there's no difference.

Comes down to comfort. My wrist based works great and as a woman is so much more comfortable than fighting between bra straps and HRM straps.

Yeah but in the study I linked above some of the differences were +/- 34 bpm in some cases. That's huge and is the difference between zone 1 and zone 3/4 for some people, its basically useless
Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the optical sensors seem to have systematic problems from the reviews, but if you chose a good one, have the 'right' skin tone etc, and wear it snug it'll do a reasonable job. You need to be mindful of the fiction all these devices can generate, but a critical glance at the trace afterwards is usually sufficient. I lose count of the misinterpretations I hear from non-scientists on HR generally. My partner, also a scientist, has got on ok with Mio and Fitbit Charge; she dislikes chest straps.

The optical sensor misses transients, but that's not a significant problem in most cases. HR as a metric lags some seconds behind rapid physiological changes, so even the best measurement will only tell you about recovery from a short interval.

In 15 years of training with HR I've had more reliable results from a Garmin chest sensor and strap (last couple of years) than from Polar hard and soft straps before that.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
awildt wrote:

Yeah but in the study I linked above some of the differences were +/- 34 bpm in some cases. That's huge and is the difference between zone 1 and zone 3/4 for some people, its basically useless

Hence why I said "unless it's wildly inaccurate" - we all know how to check our HR at specific pulse points, so we can get within 10 beats as to whether what the watch is telling us is true or not. If not true - it's not good and send it back

As Andy says - get a good one and follow the fitting advice and decide which you prefer between chest/wrist.
AkselVerg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Are wrist based heart monitors accurate or is the jury o Reply with quote

Waddy-UK wrote:
Hi all, heard a lot about the watches with heart rate monitors not being accurate. I just wondered what those in the knows thoughts are on this thanks?

I use a chest monitor but they can be a pain but heard bad reviews about the stats and accuracy of wrist based monitors.

Thanks

I'm not very experienced in the subject of a variety of specialized devices for measuring heart rate, etc. I can only share my little personal experience. I like long walks on a bicycle which often lasts from 3 to 9 hours. For the convenience of listening to music and answering calls, I bought a smart watch (here a comparison of my watch((Garmin) and some others https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/smart-watches) . They have a heart rate sensor and it should be noted that it worked without a malfunction (specially tested in the gym at various loads).
Here, only two options are possible, I think, if the pulse meter fails - either a low-quality technique or a breakdown occurred Idea
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have used these and found them to work okay, what are they like when swimming?
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
For those that have used these and found them to work okay, what are they like when swimming?

They don't work when you're swimming. Garmin disable them in water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: