Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
First Ironman - start of end of holiday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: First Ironman - start of end of holiday? Reply with quote

So next year I am going to do my first IM. I am going for IM Vichy and we want to combine it with a family holiday.

I can't decide if its better to have the holiday with the IM at the start or end. At the start gets is all out of the way but I don't want to ruin the rest of the holiday by not being able to walk or just be completely spent.

Doing it the end means I have to worry about the week before and also fit in training around it.

Quite how much of a state am I going to be after it?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I've done non-UK IM events, I've always combined it with a break but had this after the event when you enjoy doing ferk all for a while. get the stressy bit out of the way and then chill.

sure, your legs will be a tad knackered for a couple of days but they will quickly recover - maybe even go for a short bike spin a couple of days post event to freshen the legs up
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's your first - put it at the start.

The pre-race stress will ruin the holiday for everyone, not just you.

And you'll really appreciation the recovery time afterwards. A bit of activity recovery with walks and gentle tourist bike rides will also do you the world of good.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me A holiday is enjoying a bit of drink and some good food, a nice period of indulgent. Where the usual restraint is released.

This is just not possible before an event.

get to the Venue with just enough time to settle,acclimatise and get through the admin, then smash the event and spend the remaining time enjoying your holiday. Celebrate your achievements.

You probably need the break mentally as much as physical!

You don't need good legs to sit by a pool with a beer!

Honestly Time before the Event is NOT a holiday, its awful.

I've done it different this year. I have always wanted to have a crack at wales but the wife wasn't too taken on a holiday in wales in September. So after the event We have to charge back up to Manchester to fly out to Florida for two weeks the morning after...10 hours cramped up on a plane should do wonders for the recovery Exclamation
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
For me A holiday is enjoying a bit of drink and some good food, a nice period of indulgent. Where the usual restraint is released.

This is just not possible before an event.

get to the Venue with just enough time to settle,acclimatise and get through the admin, then smash the event and spend the remaining time enjoying your holiday. Celebrate your achievements.

You probably need the break mentally as much as physical!

You don't need good legs to sit by a pool with a beer!

Honestly Time before the Event is NOT a holiday, its awful.

I've done it different this year. I have always wanted to have a crack at wales but the wife wasn't too taken on a holiday in wales in September. So after the event We have to charge back up to Manchester to fly out to Florida for two weeks the morning after...10 hours cramped up on a plane should do wonders for the recovery Exclamation

I did the same last year, drove back up from Tenby on the Monday and flew out on the Tuesday. Well deserved break.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
If it's your first - put it at the start.

The pre-race stress will ruin the holiday for everyone, not just you.

And you'll really appreciation the recovery time afterwards. A bit of activity recovery with walks and gentle tourist bike rides will also do you the world of good.

+1

Don't put your family through pre-race stress misery for a whole week.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start..

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to run a little against the tide here.....the middle.

I like the pre race period, building up tension and excitement. I'm not a pro athlete needing to perform to keep sponsors and pay the mortgage, it's my hobby and race time - before, during and post race is the reward for all that bloody hard work!

Getting out a few days earlier (not sure how long your planned holiday is) allows you spread things out, so perhaps you are mostly around for family time from mid morning onwards on each of the days. Pre race tension is, IMO, worst when you rock up somewhere with little over a day until the race and loads of stuff to do and need to rush about (I did this for Lanza once, performed badly as well).

The extra time will get you relaxed, acclimitised, familiar with the area and your family will know the area and the chosen viewpoints on race day - embrace and enjoy the build up. You'll perform better and all will enjoy race day more.

Then you still get a few days after for total chill and to payback for the support. Doesn't work for all families, obviously, but mine like doing it this way.

Oi knee, do one....
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with that TRO Saracen hence why I put

SGreg wrote:

get to the Venue with just enough time to settle, acclimatise and get through the admin,

To me that is 2-3days before the Event. So if I'm away for a week it would be in the Middle but 2 weeks I would have the majority of the trip at the end.

For a Sunday Race I would fly out the Thursday before ideally, that's loads of time to get settled and into race mode. But not so long I'm just sitting around worrying about the event. it also gives you mon, tue,wed,thur to enjoy the location afterwards.....and get pissed Laughing
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start of holiday it is then! Be good to get there on the Thursday, Friday for reccy and Saturday to prepare. Could then have the whole week after for holiday.

Only problem might be how regular the flights are so will have to check that.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
I do agree with that TRO Saracen hence why I put

SGreg wrote:

get to the Venue with just enough time to settle, acclimatise and get through the admin,

To me that is 2-3days before the Event. So if I'm away for a week it would be in the Middle but 2 weeks I would have the majority of the trip at the end.

For a Sunday Race I would fly out the Thursday before ideally, that's loads of time to get settled and into race mode. But not so long I'm just sitting around worrying about the event. it also gives you mon, tue,wed,thur to enjoy the location afterwards.....and get pissed Laughing

Makes a 10 day holiday sound about right.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM Wales is on 10 September, and I am on Holiday from 14 August to 4 September, however, I am going on a camping / beach holiday, for 3 weeks I will be right next to the sea on the Bay of Roses in Spain, so fitting in a 4k sea swim most days shouldn't be an issue, an early morning run before it gets too hot (and before anyone gets up), and since I am going a week earlier than my wife, a couple of 180k rides should be on the cards.
Cheggers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Vichy last year - it was at the end of a family holiday as that was what "fitted" with getting children back for the start of school etc

Having done it and with the benefit of hindsight I'd definitely recommend doing the race at the start of the holiday. Having the race looming didn't spoil the holiday but it was always in the background and even before the race I was looking forward to the 3 or 4 days we were in France afterwards as I didn't have to worry about the imminent swim / bike /run.

I'm toying with the idea of doing Vichy again in 2018 - if I do it'll be at the start of a trip to France.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: First Ironman - start of end of holiday? Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
So next year I am going to do my first IM. I am going for IM Vichy and we want to combine it with a family holiday.

I can't decide if its better to have the holiday with the IM at the start or end. At the start gets is all out of the way but I don't want to ruin the rest of the holiday by not being able to walk or just be completely spent.

Doing it the end means I have to worry about the week before and also fit in training around it.

Quite how much of a state am I going to be after it?

With the aside that you need to turn up a couple of days before to prep, it should be at the start. No questions about it.

If it was just you then sure, take a week to build up for the race before.

But as it's your family they don't want the whole of their holiday dominated by your race build up. Which it will be.

And you'll enjoy your holiday a lot more if you've just done an IM. Your family will think you're superman and you can just relax. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: