Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Outlaw half Holkham 2nd July 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2:30 ride on that course is great going, well done.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it quite a challenging bike? I did notice a few names going a bit slower than I would have thought.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route was about a mile long, with some decent lumps and quite strong winds. The total climbing isn't much, but you don't seem to get much average speed for your effort.

The first half of the bike route is only on small country roads which aren't particularly fast either.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Was it quite a challenging bike? I did notice a few names going a bit slower than I would have thought.

The first part of the bike route was very twisty and narrow, all of the descents seemed to have turns or sharp bends at the bottom, the roads were also really congested with cyclists, at times it was tough getting past riders cycling 3 abreast, with oncoming traffic. It was difficult to get into a nice rhythm. My average speed up to mile 30 was 21.5mph

The section on the A146 was very fast, I averaged 24.5mph for around 15 miles, the biggest issue was being held up by cars trying to overtake slower cyclists.

The ride back to Holkham Hall was spectacular, however, it was really narrow as the road was partitioned for the runners, and there were some really slow/tired riders who were tricky to pass, as a result my average speed dropped a fraction towards the end

There was a strong breeze, and cross winds made things fun on the aerobars at times

My Garmin Edge Measured the ride as 90.9km my Forerunner 935 measured it at 91.1km

There were no big hills - I only went onto the small chain ring on one ascent... however, many people from East Anglia / Norfolk, complained about the number of hills
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why were you still trying to pass slow/tired riders after 45+miles on a 2:30 split?

Was its laps or waves? I would have thought most people would have been well and truly dropped?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Why were you still trying to pass slow/tired riders after 45+miles on a 2:30 split?

Was its laps or waves? I would have thought most people would have been well and truly dropped?

I guess it was wave starts. Plus, even a rider going 30mph is going to cause vehicle tailbacks on main roads.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

Because AG 45-50 started at 07:00, younger AG started at 06:30 and 06:45

I just did an analysis of the results, I was 4th off my bike in my AG
snowie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

the race was a waved start, i was in the 2nd to last wave (oldies) & spent the bike dodging tail enders & traffic.there were a lot of relay participants.

good event in a great location although i did feel for the female atheletes who were all herded into the same wave (the last wave of 350)

they have paid the same price & should be treated better.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt do you think you biked at HIM pace/power, or did you overbike knowing that you weren't going to run?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

even a rider going 30mph is going to cause vehicle tailbacks on main roads.

Yes, but vehicles doing 30mph wouldn't have been an issue for me, it was frustrating getting stuck behind a train of vehicles doing 18 - 20 mph when I was riding at 25+.

This was more of an issue for people going in later waves as there were lots of bikes on the road by this time - the elites and 06:30 starters wouldn't have had this issue at all

Overall it was magnificently well organised event
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second lap on the 113 was really congested from later waves; you end-up having to watch other people so much that you lose focus/speed. It was like a Euro IM, but with lots of potholes.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
SGreg wrote:

the race was a waved start, i was in the 2nd to last wave (oldies) & spent the bike dodging tail enders & traffic.there were a lot of relay participants.

good event in a great location although i did feel for the female atheletes who were all herded into the same wave (the last wave of 350)

they have paid the same price & should be treated better.

I too feel sorry for some of the female athletes. Not only were they all lumped together, but I heard of a few who were worried about cut off times. Being in the last wave meant cut off times were even more tight than they would be had they started in wave 1.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Yes, but vehicles doing 30mph wouldn't have been an issue for me, it was frustrating getting stuck behind a train of vehicles doing 18 - 20 mph when I was riding at 25+.

Yes, but the longer the queue gets, the slower the cars get further back, like on the motorway when someone brakes.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Matt do you think you biked at HIM pace/power, or did you overbike knowing that you weren't going to run?

Good question - I knew I wasn't going to run, and pushed reasonably hard, however, I wanted to use Outlaw as a representative training session: my AP was 222W and NP 236W, which compares to 35-50 mile club rides where my AP has recently been 245-250W and NP 265-275W. After the ride I still felt strong, and not too tired, after a club ride my legs are normally jelly

I managed a negative split, but this was mainly down to the roads being better in the second half

I also followed my HIM nutrition plan, even though I knew I wasn't going to run

For my first IM my plan is to ride at 205W.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another point, some friends who came to watch said that the swim start for the 45-50 AG looked more like a pitched battle, apparently the other waves were much more orderly.

It was a shock for me when I got into the water and realised that visibility was zero - you couldn't even see your hands underwater, so collisions, swimming over the top of people, getting kicked by the person ahead etc was inevitable, even if it did calm down a little, there was plenty of jostling for the whole swim. Luckily I don't really mind this, however, I know it had a pretty big impact on some people
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: