Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stupid Injuries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Stupid Injuries Reply with quote

I now have 18 months of solid 9+ hrs plus per week training with no injury or illness, that is until 2 days ago.

I had a small blister on my little toe from running sock-less in a tri. It was perfectly intact so I covered with a plaster and continued training. Next day I woke in agony with it still intact but clearly infected. Can hardly walk.

To top that too many sweaty turbo sessions has also given me jock itch and a boil on my arse.

I now have my biggest number of missed sessions in a long while because of stupid little things.

Hopefully I should be able to get some swims in at the weekend.

Anyone else been grounded by ridiculousness?
fruit thief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treading on stuff.

Walking round the house barefoot trod on a sewing needle. It caught in the pile of the carpet is such a way that it punctured my heel vertically and then snapped as I put my full weight down. Four visits to hospital culminating in a 30 minute operation to remove the little bugger. No running for 1 month.

And separately I trod on a sea urchin, got badly infected toe.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a pretty hard weekend of running and cycling in early May, my knee was really stiff, but seemed OK by the weekend, so I ran Parkrun as 25 minute pacer - all OK, on Tuesday Did a very hard training session - knee now much worse, took 2 weeks off, and started running gently, 2 10km runs at 8min/mile all fine, knee a little stiff, but not overly concerned..... then tripped over on the way to breakfast, twisted knee and then went for a run. Knee definitely not OK any more - first week I couldn't even swim. 2 weeks later, I am swimming and cycling, but running still feels like a million miles away

Not Triathlon related, but 3 years ago, just before I was due to take part in an international windsurfing competition. I was on holiday in Spain and rigging up my sail, modern sails require a huge amount of force to put the required amount of tension on them, I was on the beach and had left my rigging tool on the campsite (200m away), rather than going back I attached a steel bar the rope, and put my leg on the bottom of the mast to get enough leverage.... unfortunately my calf muscle was not up to the combined force of my leg and arms pulling the rope tight, and ended up taking 4 months out of almost all physical activity with a torn calf, made the rest of the camping trip fun too!
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Not Triathlon related, but 3 years ago, just before I was due to take part in an international windsurfing competition. I was on holiday in Spain and rigging up my sail, modern sails require a huge amount of force to put the required amount of tension on them, I was on the beach and had left my rigging tool on the campsite (200m away), rather than going back I attached a steel bar the rope, and put my leg on the bottom of the mast to get enough leverage.... unfortunately my calf muscle was not up to the combined force of my leg and arms pulling the rope tight, and ended up taking 4 months out of almost all physical activity with a torn calf, made the rest of the camping trip fun too!

I know that one from when I shot Archery at university. I tried to string my bow "like the pros" just using my own body and without the stringing tool. The arm of the bow popped out and smacked me in the face. No major injury except to my pride.
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Treading on stuff.

Walking round the house barefoot trod on a sewing needle. It caught in the pile of the carpet is such a way that it punctured my heel vertically and then snapped as I put my full weight down. Four visits to hospital culminating in a 30 minute operation to remove the little bugger. No running for 1 month.

And separately I trod on a sea urchin, got badly infected toe.

Ouch, I winced when reading the needle one.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't get the coffee pot to pour on the day before the euro champs...thought i'd just ease the lid slightly and off it came...scalding hot coffee over left hand...

cycling to the start of the world champs on an effing closed road, car pulls out and i have to take evasive action resulting in an off...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke my wrist by pogo'ing to the Clash at a concert... got a massive push in the back on a beer soaked slippery floor and landed on my wrist.. thankfully it was the week after IM France!
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pogo'ing.... at a gig? Confused Confused
leahnp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diagnosed with a slap lesion in my left shoulder when I ran into a tree sprinting to a finish at my local sprint.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emptying the kitchen rubbish bin last night, I pulled up on the bin bag and the bin lifted off the floor with it. I gave it a little shake and the bin promptly dropped onto my foot, bruising my big toe so that I can't run today Rolling Eyes
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really annoying shoulder injury that's hampering my swim.

Pretty annoying as I'm sure its from the way I sleep, I keep going to sleep in one position and end up being woken by the pain in my shoulder after switching positions while asleep. Twisted Evil

Its not too serious in the pool, but its worrying more than anything.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Pogo'ing.... at a gig? Confused Confused

bl00dy yoofs Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaster for me last nigt. Came back from a 2hr ride with no problem, 10 mins after getting home i bent down to put a drink on the coffee table and BANG, searing pain between my spine and hip. Laid up now, can't walk and have to crawl.

Dr sent a script for elephant tranquillisers. Hopefully it's just a 'thing'. Evil or Very Mad
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread could quite possibly turn in to a classic... Smile

My worst damage is just from getting older and not admitting it, but closest call was a tyre lever that broke and a bit hit me just next to the eye.
lastoutofthepool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to hop into hot bath after ice cold MTB night ride.
Starck bo!!ock naked apart from socks.
Went to whip socks off with thumb in usual super slick fashion.
Forgot about themal inner sock..thumb got hooked behind it and bent over and back with audible crunch.
Couldnt touch thumb leaver on MTB for weeks let alone push it...
OH still laughs about this 20 years on and the sight/sound of this one.
Hopping/squealing around in nothing but 1.5 pairs of socks....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: