Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stupid Injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sock but slipper related injury for me; a nice lie in on bank holiday Monday, going downstairs to make a cuppa, slipped half way when (admittedly old and saggy) slipper missed the stair and got whiplash. Ouch.
Andy916

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else get a bit too race-focussed during a hard training session? ...

Yesterday I did a duathlon to work, prior to Sunday's du at Helwith Bridge. I was on my TT bike, a P2 to which I've added powerful Magura brakes. A fast ride on quiet roads, pushing hard. Into a village a Range Rover overtakes on the narrow road just before a blind bend then sharp descent. I follow without backing off much, mildly irked. Halfway down the sharp descent the RR comes to a near-complete halt to pass a car coming the other way. Being stupidly close I brake to the point of pulling a stoppy (haven't done that on the P2 or on carbon rims before) narrowly missing RR and lightly tapping the other car's bumper with my shin. Had sympathetic words from other car driver, and we established no damage had been done. RR driver stops further down the road and remonstrates with me, completely oblivious to her ill-judged overtake. We, err, disagree somewhat and I completed my ride then run off the bike.

The knee is now inflamed, with an improvement overnight that I hope continues, to be able to actually do the duathlon on Sunday. Doh!
grissom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a steady run along the local canal I ducked under a low bridge but stood up again way too soon.

Briefly knocked out and I got some strange looks on the walk home dripping in blood and my left eyebrow stopped working for a few months. Cost me a couple of weeks of training with concussion and couldn't swim until the cut had closed. Thankfully the hair grew back too Very Happy

gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chr!st ... how hard did you stand up to knock yourself out!!! Mad Shocked
grissom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sort of running and ducking at the time so probably 10-12kph. Lesson learned, walk under low bridges in future, or avoid all together Very Happy
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My running (pre triathlon) days, lived in East London near Wanstead Flats.

Had a standard evening run which was pretty much one lap of the flats - no garmin/strava in those days, so a simple stopwatch to time the laps. There was pretty much nowhere else to run decently fast round there, so I was very familiar with the circuit, often running it in the evening when it was dark with no headtorch.

I was doing it one evening, when it was pretty dark, going for a PB, but they were 'renaturalising' one corner and had put some posts into the ground.

I came hurtling round, completely unaware that there was a post directly on my path. Just remember running hard, next thing lying there looking up at the Sky wondering what the Hell had happened. Post was wood, and I think it must have had some give because I really hit it.

Ended up with a massive post shaped bruise right across my chest, nothing broken amazingly (I was a young pup then...) but worst the top of the post coincided exactly with the height of my nipple, and that bit got really badly scraped by the top of the post - the injury and subsequent scabs forming right across the nipple were....memorable....work shirts etc kept sticking to it.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a really bad case of piles whilst marathon training a few years back. Lost about a week of training, and then spent another month feeling like I was turtlenecking every time I ran.

If you bear with me, I'll dig out the photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: