Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Afternoon middle distance start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
david1273

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Afternoon middle distance start Reply with quote

Hi All

Has anyone got any experience of racing middle distances that start in the afternoon? Is it better or worse than a morning start?

Basically, Challenge have moved the Lisbon race to a 4pm start. With a 7:30am start this year it was very hot on the run (with no shade) and the race was already due to move back a week until Portugal won the Eurovision Song Contest, that has put the race another week back so it's now two weeks later than this year (and three weeks later than it used to be).

I'm guessing they are trying to move the run out of the heat of the day (which is sensible) but it seems like an inordinate amount of waiting around with a 4pm start so I am not sure whether or not to enter next year...any input would be greatly appreciated.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a half and a full with a 6pm start.

The downside is you get hungry as you dont get your dinner so you may want real food at some point. Dont eat too much at lunchtime either as it'll be sitting in your stomach still.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good breccy, light lunch, try to rest up through the day but spin out the legs to warm up...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
david1273

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both...I don't think I will have a problem from a food point of view, what to do with myelf all day is a completely different matter!
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently IM70.3 Finland has a 4pm start time next year, but it stays light until about 11pm.

It is a long time ago but I used to struggle with afternoon triathlon starts, couldn't get my food right in the morning and often ended up with a stitch on the run, but that was Olympic distance. on a 70.3 you might have digested a bit more by the time you've got to the run.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: