Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
165mm cranks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: 165mm cranks Reply with quote

Once I'm able walk again, I will be swapping the FSA Gosammer 172.5 (made of cheese) cranks for Ultegra 165mms, with a Wheels Mfg BBright threaded adaptor.

Because of a long torso and short legs, my saddle is a long way fwd on the rails on a 56 P3. I know normally I'd need to move saddle back and up to compensate but I'm looking to reduce leg extension anyway.

Any harm in not moving the saddle at all and seeing how things are? I'd like a slightly flatter foot than I have now.

Also, anyone swapped to shorter cranks, notice much difference in pedalling style?
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of studies on crank lengths and foot/pedal position. I have yet to see one which comes to any sort of convincing conclusion.
Andy916

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went 172.5 to 165 on my Scott Addict before the Alps trip last year, 182km and 5000m climb, Morzine to Chamonix. Seat 7.5mm higher. Regularly switch to my old road bike and to my TT bike, both of which are still 172.5 and would be hard-pressed to notice a difference tbh. Might be helpful in opening up the hip angle slightly I guess. I'm relatively long legged (31") but shorter than you Ian at 5'7".
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this on my TT bike as I was building it with a new groupset so thought I might as well get 165 cranks rather than 175 which I've always used.

Similar to you with shorter legs, long torso and ride a p3c so long/low position. Had a couple of bike fits so position was well dialled in.

Noticed immediately hip angle more open at top of stroke and felt better.

Now I'm used to the shorter cranks it just feels normal and when I ride my road bike, still on 175, I can't tell any difference.

Im happy with it as there was a definite improvement in comfort with the more open hip angle which I guess is more noticeable on a TT bike than road bike because of the lower position.
hammerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly different but Lee Valley Velodrome decided to ban 170 cranks on track so I had to drop to 165 which was new max. Only think I noticed was the 200 missing from my pocket.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 165mm cranks Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Once I'm able walk again, I will be swapping the FSA Gosammer 172.5 (made of cheese) cranks for Ultegra 165mms, with a Wheels Mfg BBright threaded adaptor.

Because of a long torso and short legs, my saddle is a long way fwd on the rails on a 56 P3. I know normally I'd need to move saddle back and up to compensate but I'm looking to reduce leg extension anyway.

Any harm in not moving the saddle at all and seeing how things are? I'd like a slightly flatter foot than I have now.

Also, anyone swapped to shorter cranks, notice much difference in pedalling style?

I like them.

I tried out 155s in a fitting session, I couldn't really tell the difference, and said so - but I believed in the mechanical changes it had on the rest of my position. A few degrees lower in the torso.

Then shopping for components I saw a 165 campag crankset I wanted at a good price so went with that.

I increased the saddle height very slightly accordingly, to sit between the recommended values for 172s and 155s, and the fitter corroborated my set up.

I'm 173cm, I reckon 165s on me probably feel the same as 172s on taller people. It's not a huge difference but I would say I feel better on 165s. I'd get them for my next roadie for sure.

As far as pedalling style goes, I don't think cadence/power has changed but it feels more powerful. As one part of a better bike position I run so easy off the bike now it's revolutionary.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: