Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Current Lake Temperatures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...

I was Assistant Swim and the evening before the Saturday age group race, the water was hovering around 23C. it dropped overnight to 22.1C but because of the air temp (14C), wetsuits were approved under ITU rules after a decision by the TD and Race Ref. it had dropped below 22C for Sunday so it didn't need a further decision.

and I'll be at Leeds Castle on Saturday so you can expect a wetsuit ban given 25.3C this morning - can't see that dropping enough by Sat am.

Aha! so that's who you are... Smile

likewise! nice to put a face and name together and yet neither of us realised who we were on here!! funny old world eh??

I'll look at you in a different light on here now!

a good weekend was had - we were completely bolloxed come Monday and then had a 2 day drive home in the furnace
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...

I was Assistant Swim and the evening before the Saturday age group race, the water was hovering around 23C. it dropped overnight to 22.1C but because of the air temp (14C), wetsuits were approved under ITU rules after a decision by the TD and Race Ref. it had dropped below 22C for Sunday so it didn't need a further decision.

and I'll be at Leeds Castle on Saturday so you can expect a wetsuit ban given 25.3C this morning - can't see that dropping enough by Sat am.

Aha! so that's who you are... Smile

likewise! nice to put a face and name together and yet neither of us realised who we were on here!! funny old world eh??

I'll look at you in a different light on here now!

a good weekend was had - we were completely bolloxed come Monday and then had a 2 day drive home in the furnace

ditto!

yep, i slept the whole way home and am still shattered...

a great event, which i must race next time...fab course...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
jig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local lakes are all around 26 degrees (allegedly). Some allow wetsuits some don't.

This weekend its Cotswold 226 - at the moment wetsuits banned. I also read that Wimbleball lake is 18 degrees so wetsuits ok. Not a million miles aprt but shows what differences the lake depth can make!
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on lakes for a bit, river Thames is 2 min from my door and hardly moving at the moment. swimming between Iffley and Sandford locks in Oxford. Very quiet and beautiful at the moment
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0bh wrote:
Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Apparently Salford watersports centre was only 18.9C on Monday which seems a low reading considering the weather, unless anyone knows the venue? Racing there on Saturday, >20 is non-wetsuit which likely means I'll be struggling by the end unless reaches the mid 20s.

The Salford docks are pretty deep so will be cooler than natural, shallower, lakes. 18.9C is pretty balmy for Salford Quays!

Cheers, will be grateful the weathers cooling back down then. Would far rather 18C in a suit than 20 without!
smudge002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:

Currently 26.4C - absolutely no chance of wetsuits...
2013 - 7oaks, Marshman, Outlaw
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llandudno HIM for me ....being a see swim I think wetsuits will be fine Laughing

its about 15degc ATM
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good panicking/head-in-sand stuff on the Ironman Journey FB group. If you think you need a wetsuit for safety, then why are you even contemplating doing a whole Ironman Question Sigh.
Jan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Some good panicking/head-in-sand stuff on the Ironman Journey FB group. If you think you need a wetsuit for safety, then why are you even contemplating doing a whole Ironman Question Sigh.

Exactly! Was at Lake 32 last night. Water was 24.7. Many people "worried" about non wetsuit swim for the 226. Why? Same for everyone. And they were still training in their wetsuits! A few of us went in sans wet suit and it was still warm. Confused Smile
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Chasewater was 20C last weekend.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swam this week in a wetsuit with water temperature around 25: very uncomfortable and wouldn't want to do 3.8k.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Exactly! Was at Lake 32 last night. Water was 24.7. Many people "worried" about non wetsuit swim for the 226. Why? Same for everyone. And they were still training in their wetsuits! A few of us went in sans wet suit and it was still warm. Confused Smile

haha...I overheard this as well. Strange as lots of people without wetsuits on Tuesday, hardly any on Thursday and the lake felt almost the same temp.

I'm in for 226, if it's no wetsuit I'll be slower, but I can't change it.....the old adage "control the controllables" comes to mind.

Out of curiosity how do they measure the lake temp? I am aware it is taken 1m down; but is it a single point measurement, an average of several points, max of several points etc.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our place was 28c on Wednesday. Tried 3 different places around the edge then sent someone out on a paddle board to try the deepest spot right in the middle and that was still 26c.

We let people use wetsuits if they wanted but most didn't. I did 3k without and certainly wouldn't have wanted one in that temp.

No-one would do all their bike training with stabilisers then pray it's not a non-stabilizer bike.
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Our place was 28c on Wednesday. Tried 3 different places around the edge then sent someone out on a paddle board to try the deepest spot right in the middle and that was still 26c.

We let people use wetsuits if they wanted but most didn't. I did 3k without and certainly wouldn't have wanted one in that temp.

No-one would do all their bike training with stabilisers then pray it's not a non-stabilizer bike.

It's really not the same thing. If you need to stop on the bike leg and have a rest you just stop, if you need to take a break whilst running just walk for a bit. If you're in the middle of the sea and are struggling there's more limited options, find a kayak to hold onto, learn how to tread water, float on your back, all much harder than when you're in a wetsuit.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have got a lot worse at tolerating the cold in the last year or two, but still think I'd be happy for an hour constant swimming in anything >24. Swam bare for 20 mins in 21C last week (after 50 minutes in wetsuit) and was seizing up by the end.

But seems like there is bit too much hysteria. If think there is good chance might be swimming non-wetsuit in an event you care about then acclimatise in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: