Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Current Lake Temperatures
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16101
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Current Lake Temperatures Reply with quote

Well, everywhere looks to be pretty warm at the moment; my local lake is 26/27 degrees, and Lake 32 in the Cotswolds is hovering around 26, so the Cotswold 226 this weekend could potentially be non-wetsuit (if >24 deg).

Any other races that could be affected this weekend?
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14341
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16101
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


That's only 1500m ffs, plus it's a Championship standard race Rolling Eyes
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14341
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


That's only 1500m ffs, plus it's a Championship standard race Rolling Eyes


yes, they were all mighty impressed that others are doing a fool distance race... Laughing
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16101
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


That's only 1500m ffs, plus it's a Championship standard race Rolling Eyes


yes, they were all mighty impressed that others are doing a fool distance race... Laughing


I don't get you?

My only point is supposedly national standard athletes shouldn't be worried about a non-wetsuit swim. The fact that many are is indicative, and another conversation Wink
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 4852
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


That's only 1500m ffs, plus it's a Championship standard race Rolling Eyes


yes, they were all mighty impressed that others are doing a fool distance race... Laughing


I don't get you?

My only point is supposedly national standard athletes shouldn't be worried about a non-wetsuit swim. The fact that many are is indicative, and another conversation Wink


Nobody should be worried about a non wetsuit swim, whatever the distance. I'm not a fast swimmer but the lack of a wettie would be the last thing on my mind distance wise. Temp wise would be a different story. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16248
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised we dont have m-dot arm bands and rubber rings in case on a non wetsuit swim. Ironman could sell them at the expo and make a fortune.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 228

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that puts me off a non wetsuit swim is I am wimp. 24 degrees is still 4 lower than most swimming pools and they always feel chuffing cold when I get in Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14341
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


That's only 1500m ffs, plus it's a Championship standard race Rolling Eyes


yes, they were all mighty impressed that others are doing a fool distance race... Laughing


I don't get you?

My only point is supposedly national standard athletes shouldn't be worried about a non-wetsuit swim. The fact that many are is indicative, and another conversation Wink


exactly the same point as you were making...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
smudge002




Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Location: London / Kent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am racing at Leeds Castle on Sunday (Olympic distance). The water temperature is supposed to be a rather balmy 25.3C at the moment, which makes it compulsory non-wetsuit. I generally rely on the wetsuit to keep me afloat so this may be an interesting one for me. I also haven't done any OW races without a wetsuit before Surprised
_________________
2010 - 7oaks, Steyning, London, Hever Castle
2011 - 7oaks, Marshman, Boskman, London, Challenge Henley
2012 - 7oaks aquathlon, London
2013 - 7oaks, Marshman, Outlaw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tri'ing Swimmer




Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Salford watersports centre was only 18.9C on Monday which seems a low reading considering the weather, unless anyone knows the venue? Racing there on Saturday, >20 is non-wetsuit which likely means I'll be struggling by the end unless reaches the mid 20s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
r0bh




Joined: 03 Aug 2005
Posts: 1579
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Apparently Salford watersports centre was only 18.9C on Monday which seems a low reading considering the weather, unless anyone knows the venue? Racing there on Saturday, >20 is non-wetsuit which likely means I'll be struggling by the end unless reaches the mid 20s.


The Salford docks are pretty deep so will be cooler than natural, shallower, lakes. 18.9C is pretty balmy for Salford Quays!
_________________
BLOG | ATHLINKS | TWITTER
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2356
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


I was Assistant Swim and the evening before the Saturday age group race, the water was hovering around 23C. it dropped overnight to 22.1C but because of the air temp (14C), wetsuits were approved under ITU rules after a decision by the TD and Race Ref. it had dropped below 22C for Sunday so it didn't need a further decision.

and I'll be at Leeds Castle on Saturday so you can expect a wetsuit ban given 25.3C this morning - can't see that dropping enough by Sat am.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14341
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
there were some nervous faces at the euro champs in Kitzbuhel...


I was Assistant Swim and the evening before the Saturday age group race, the water was hovering around 23C. it dropped overnight to 22.1C but because of the air temp (14C), wetsuits were approved under ITU rules after a decision by the TD and Race Ref. it had dropped below 22C for Sunday so it didn't need a further decision.

and I'll be at Leeds Castle on Saturday so you can expect a wetsuit ban given 25.3C this morning - can't see that dropping enough by Sat am.


Aha! so that's who you are... Smile
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oranj




Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1191
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local lake is also apparently around 26C at the moment. Almost noone is swimming in wetsuits (although partly because it's a real struggle getting into one when it's 30C!). I was pleasantly surprised to find I'm not a lot slower without the suit than with - it must be the turns that slow me down in a pool (where I'm ~2 sec/100m slower).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.