Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Current Lake Temperatures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people not do their swim training most of the year round in a pool?

Surely you train to be able to swim the distances that you plan to race in just your trunks and don't rely on the extra assistance that the wetsuit gives you if there's a chance that the rules won't let you use it on a particular day?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smudge002 wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

and I'll be at Leeds Castle on Saturday so you can expect a wetsuit ban given 25.3C this morning - can't see that dropping enough by Sat am.

Currently 26.4C - absolutely no chance of wetsuits...

it had dropped to a balmy 25.8C for race morning.... Very Happy
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18.5C for Salford, with airtemp 14. Handful braved it in just swim suits but looked chilly Very Happy
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtra mile events informed us the sea temp was 18DegC

It wasn't

All the surf forecasts ect had it around 15DegC and that's what it felt like to me. Cold but manageable.

We were then Forced to acclimatise for 20 mins prior to Start.

Acclimatise....you mean get ~#*$ cold.

We were also told (and they couldn't stress this enough) how important it was to "flush" our suits with cold water before the start! WTF? I have never been given this advice in any race before, and with hundreds of cold swims, some ALOT colder than this have never Flushed my suit with anything other than red hot Piss!
smudge002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
smudge002 wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

and I'll be at Leeds Castle on Saturday so you can expect a wetsuit ban given 25.3C this morning - can't see that dropping enough by Sat am.

Currently 26.4C - absolutely no chance of wetsuits...

it had dropped to a balmy 25.8C for race morning.... Very Happy

I was very happy with the decision on Sunday that wetsuits were optional, but it was surprising that the temperature had dropped to below 24C given how warm it had been.

I had a terrible swim, with a couple of belts to the head, a kick to the chin and my goggles pulled off my face - I was very glad to be in my wetsuit...
2013 - 7oaks, Marshman, Outlaw
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the official announcement on wetsuits for IM Austria is only due to be made 1 hour before race time Shocked

I assume they'll be taking water temperature readings throughout the week, so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise for people, but that doesn't seem to give people much time to sort their kit out on race morning
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
So the official announcement on wetsuits for IM Austria is only due to be made 1 hour before race time Shocked

I assume they'll be taking water temperature readings throughout the week, so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise for people, but that doesn't seem to give people much time to sort their kit out on race morning

it was ever thus...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
gieffe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

according to me one hour before race start is too late. they should do their best to keep people calm and focused on the race, but i fear what they will get is people anxious for the decision to come. it's easy to say "you shouldn't care because you're prepared" and probably most of the more experienced will just do that, but for many first timers the thought of the non wetsuit race (and the hope for the wetsuit race) will stay in their mind until the start and it will be difficult to stay calm.
i was anxious when i did my first im in frankfurt but they decided the day before that it was non wetsuit and i admit it was somehow a relief for me, even if it was not the decision i had hoped for.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:

it was ever thus...

aye.

as a TO, we have a duty to take the water temperature 1hr before the first swim as this is in the rules (ITU and WTC). we will usually have a good idea what the water temp is likely to be from the preceding days readings done by the organiser (remember that for many events, TOs do not arrive until race morning) but these can change quickly overnight given rain, cold weather, and wind conditions. however, the larger the body of water, the less it's likely to change due to the sheer thermal mass involved so that's why some events using large water areas do call a ban the day before.

water temps are not taken on the surface but 60cm down where it can be cooler, and the vast majority of TOs will try to find the lowest temperature at this depth so we do NOT have to ban wetsuits - we fully understand how important these are to many athletes and not just beginners.

but sometimes - and especially with current warm conditions - we have no option and have to call a wetsuit ban otherwise we are failing in our duties. and seriously - you do not want to suffer from hyperthermia which can be much more dangerous than hypothermia and can lead to sudden collapse, which in water is never good!

all I can say, is prepare yourself for any possible ban if conditions are likely to lead to that result, and try not to panic. you can swim OK in a pool with no wetsuit so you can do the same in open water.
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletes should understand that they need to practice Open Water swimming without a wetsuit. The fuss at Mad Mikes Muddy Puddle when he banned wetsuits last Tuesday/Wednesday in 27deg water was unbelievable.

It was almost too warm to swim train without a wetsuit let alone in a thick covering of neoprene.
awildt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first and only DNF in a triathlon was when I wore a wetsuit in conditions that were far too warm for it.

Yes I am a strong swimmer without but I'd gotten too used to the ease of swimming a wetsuit. It was a valuable lesson to learn.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gieffe wrote:
Whisk wrote:

according to me one hour before race start is too late. they should do their best to keep people calm and focused on the race, but i fear what they will get is people anxious for the decision to come. it's easy to say "you shouldn't care because you're prepared" and probably most of the more experienced will just do that, but for many first timers the thought of the non wetsuit race (and the hope for the wetsuit race) will stay in their mind until the start and it will be difficult to stay calm.
i was anxious when i did my first im in frankfurt but they decided the day before that it was non wetsuit and i admit it was somehow a relief for me, even if it was not the decision i had hoped for.

seems like perfect timing to me....

it isn't a case of not caring, its a case of being prepared for all eventualities - and in this instance, there are only two...

i believe that they still test the water daily and publish the readings at the big events...there are weather forecasts available and a combination of the two will make one or the other predictable unless it really is borderline...in which case, you have to test the water an hour before...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

as EJC will know, there was a lot of anxiety amongst the age groupers the day before the Euro champs in Kitzbuhel the other weekend over a possible wetsuit ban. so even experienced triathletes don't like a ban, but they know that they have to suck it up if so and get on with it.
Muriel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an average swimmer at best in a pool. Terrible in open water.

In Vichy last year when the weather was just obscene it was a blooming relief to go non-wetsuit.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
and seriously - you do not want to suffer from hyperthermia which can be much more dangerous than hypothermia and can lead to sudden collapse, which in water is never good!

I think this is an important point. I will always wear a wetsuit if legal to do so, because it's faster. Therefore I want the race officials to make the correct call if the water temperature is at such a level that wearing one would put me at risk, as I would be unlikely to make that decision by myself. Banning them gives me no choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: