Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Current Lake Temperatures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
and seriously - you do not want to suffer from hyperthermia which can be much more dangerous than hypothermia and can lead to sudden collapse, which in water is never good!

I think this is an important point. I will always wear a wetsuit if legal to do so, because it's faster. Therefore I want the race officials to make the correct call if the water temperature is at such a level that wearing one would put me at risk, as I would be unlikely to make that decision by myself. Banning them gives me no choice.

it's never easy for us to make that call as we know how much many athletes rely on their wetsuit, but equally, we also have a duty of care and an athlete's safety to consider. a TO isn't just there to manage the rules, but also to deliver an event that is safe and fair for all.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
stenard wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
and seriously - you do not want to suffer from hyperthermia which can be much more dangerous than hypothermia and can lead to sudden collapse, which in water is never good!

I think this is an important point. I will always wear a wetsuit if legal to do so, because it's faster. Therefore I want the race officials to make the correct call if the water temperature is at such a level that wearing one would put me at risk, as I would be unlikely to make that decision by myself. Banning them gives me no choice.

it's never easy for us to make that call as we know how much many athletes rely on their wetsuit,
but equally, we also have a duty of care and an athlete's safety to consider. a TO isn't just there to manage the rules, but also to deliver an event that is safe and fair for all.

fer realz? Shocked
Symes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
stenard wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

it's never easy for us to make that call as we know how much many athletes rely on their wetsuit,
but equally, we also have a duty of care and an athlete's safety to consider. a TO isn't just there to manage the rules, but also to deliver an event that is safe and fair for all.

fer realz? Shocked

I used to think I relied on one but had a go non-wetsuit one evening last year when it was pretty warm and loved it. Was a tad slower but wouldn't have been close to cut-off if it week a race.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Oranj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedfordshire tri at Box End Park was called non-wetsuit today, 25C. Noone seemed too bothered, although I wish I'd brought a one-piece trisuit with me!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Thorpe Park Oly yday and had assumed it would be no wetsuit since all the local lakes are at least 24 degrees at the moment, but was surprised it hadn't been mentioned in the build up emails.

Anyway, was even more surprised to see everyone suiting up so assumed they'd fudged the reading! Then heard the referee/official talking and the temp was 24.5 but the organizers had applied for a wetsuit exception, which meant they could run the event still with a wetsuit swim.

I'd not heard of this before - is it common?

Didn't feel too uncomfortably warm but I do wonder how much of a knock-on effect the warm swim had later, was certainly baking by the time the run finished Smile
Oranj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds unusual.

Unlikely to have had much effect at the opposite end of the event. It was a sweltering day and although at the time I was a bit dissatisfied with my run, looking back through the data when I got home I realise I got so hot off the bike that my HR was through the roof after 10 minutes.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Frankfurt was a wetsuit swim yesterday, very surprised at that as it's been high 20s/low 30s for ages leading-up to it. I wonder if there was some fudging going on there, as they didn't want a second non-wetsuit swim in three years - and the effect that might have on popularity.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I see Frankfurt was a wetsuit swim yesterday, very surprised at that as it's been high 20s/low 30s for ages leading-up to it. I wonder if there was some fudging going on there, as they didn't want a second non-wetsuit swim in three years - and the effect that might have on popularity.

Officially 24.1 on race morning, 24 the day before, 23.3 the day before this. Unsurprisingly cheers rang out on the announcement.

Wouldn't surprise me if after a few tries they eventually found a cooler spot: probably didn't want a repeat of 2 years ago.

Temperatures steadily rose during the day to around 30, not quite the heady heights of 2015, and was helped in the afternoon with about 50% cloud cover: f**cking hot though.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:
, not quite the heady heights of 2015.

Why, what happened in 2015?

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Mad Wink
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

I guess you're still trying to get over it: or successfully blanked it from your mind?
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:
Sounds unusual.

Unlikely to have had much effect at the opposite end of the event. It was a sweltering day and although at the time I was a bit dissatisfied with my run, looking back through the data when I got home I realise I got so hot off the bike that my HR was through the roof after 10 minutes.

Don't underestimate it. Wrote a few posts back - my only DNF was wearing a wetsuit on a hot day when I shouldn't have.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

I guess you're still trying to get over it: or successfully blanked it from your mind?

It was just one of those experiences tbh. Glad to have made the finish line and avoided the medical tent. It puts it into perspective when you feel hot and it's only ~26 degrees here this weekend just gone! I certainly won't forget lying-down on the marathon course for however long it was (20-30 min maybe) considering my options. Funny old thing, my legs were fine the next day, as I had walked so much Laughing

I find I learn a lot more about myself in the bad races.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Did Thorpe Park Oly yday and had assumed it would be no wetsuit since all the local lakes are at least 24 degrees at the moment, but was surprised it hadn't been mentioned in the build up emails.

Anyway, was even more surprised to see everyone suiting up so assumed they'd fudged the reading! Then heard the referee/official talking and the temp was 24.5 but the organizers had applied for a wetsuit exception, which meant they could run the event still with a wetsuit swim.

I'd not heard of this before - is it common?

Didn't feel too uncomfortably warm but I do wonder how much of a knock-on effect the warm swim had later, was certainly baking by the time the run finished Smile

I was that Chief Official.... Laughing

the info about the event being wetsuit compulsory is in the race info on the Triproject website and has been that way since the events started there. TP have applied for exemptions to the BTF rule for these events as it's something that is insisted upon them by the park management who ultimately control the use of the water, (I know of other water bodies that have the same conditions imposed on event organisers - London Tri being the big one) plus Swim Safety who manage the swim also prefer this on safety grounds. for the ETU qualifier in Sep there will be no wetsuit exemption as all concerned want these events to be managed under the full rules (as was the Sprint Champ race in June) and extra swim safety is provided to cover this matter.

the wetsuit compulsory issue was also mentioned in the race briefing.

is this common? no. is it allowable? yes

here endeth the education into the BTF rules......Razz

PS - Rule 1.5 if you're interested.... Very Happy
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Hever yesterday? Apparently water temperature was measured to be above the wetsuit cutoff, but wetsuits were allowed anyway?
Oranj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I see Frankfurt was a wetsuit swim yesterday...

But reading the Tri247 report, the pros were non-wetsuit. Did they have a special warm water lane to swim in or what Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: