Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Pedal/shoe advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
simonp820




Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Pedal/shoe advice Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I've bought a road bike and now I think I need to get some bike shoes and those clippy pedals!

Can anyone offer a dummies guide for getting started? From what I've read so far there appears to be there different types of peddles - all seem really expensive Sad

Cheers!

Simon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14148
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm me your address and i will send you an old pair of pedals to get you started...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 9831
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal = the thing on the end of the cranks you clip shoes into

Peddle = to sell something, especially small goods by going from house to house or place to place.

Very Happy
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony Stark




Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 2387
Location: Milton Keynes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedant - someone who gives a sh1t about trivial stuff when no-one else does.

Pedals (clipless)
- something you give someone for free and then they curse you because they don't have the cleats, and later sue the sh1t out of you when they try them for the first time and fall over and injure themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobbie




Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7417
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, being helpful Smile

There are a few things to consider - price as you say and also degree of float - that being how much you can rotate your foot before unclipping. In general, less float if you're a hard as nails racer, more float if you're looking to protect your knees.

I would suggest you take a look at two different options
1. The Look style cleat of which there are several makes. A pretty big platform, pedals not too expensive and can generally switch between float and no float by changing the cleats
2. The big alternative is Speedplay. Here the pedal is technically on your shoe and the cleat on the bike. More float but more expensive and there's a bit of occasional maintenance required.

Personally I made the move to speedplay and much prefer them but there's no right answer here. If you're just starting out, I would suggest Look is the easiest system to get to grips with on a budget Smile
_________________
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 15922
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on Ebay, there will be lots of pedals on there; and cheap shoes. I use Look Keo blade personally. I'd recommend getting the grey cleats with the rubber non-slip inserts.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14148
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Pedant - someone who gives a sh1t about trivial stuff when no-one else does.

Pedals (clipless)
- something you give someone for free and then they curse you because they don't have the cleats, and later sue the sh1t out of you when they try them for the first time and fall over and injure themselves.


Well, my offer came with cleats but no guarantee against stupidity
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 163
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one ever mentions SPDs but I've been using them for years and find many benefits (Admittedly I'm about as far from the pointy end as it's possible to get.)

I have one pair of shoes for all my bikes.
Double sided clipless pedals on road bikes, single sided/platform on MTB.
Mine are stiff soled, Velcro fastening road bike style shoes (not lace up flexy MTB ones) but the cleat is still recessed and lasts forever
Can walk/run in them fairly well without slipping so good for long transitions (obviously not an issue if you leave shoes on bike)

People talk about hot spots and power transfer but I think this is more a result of the type of shoe rather then the cleats/pedals themselves.

Another option to consider depending on budget and other priorities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14148
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto - i've been using shimano SPD-SLs for years without fuss...

only now have gone to garmin Vector and look but haven't been that overwhelmed to replace the range of Dura Ace/Ultegra/105s in the stable as yet...may do so as they wear out...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 163
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Ditto - i've been using shimano SPD-SLs for years without fuss...

only now have gone to garmin Vector and look but haven't been that overwhelmed to replace the range of Dura Ace/Ultegra/105s in the stable as yet...may do so as they wear out...


No, I mean actual SPDs not SPD-SLs, what are often called mountain bike cleats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14148
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Ditto - i've been using shimano SPD-SLs for years without fuss...

only now have gone to garmin Vector and look but haven't been that overwhelmed to replace the range of Dura Ace/Ultegra/105s in the stable as yet...may do so as they wear out...


No, I mean actual SPDs not SPD-SLs, what are often called mountain bike cleats.


i understood...hence adding the SL for my experience...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1193

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
No-one ever mentions SPDs but I've been using them for years and find many benefits (Admittedly I'm about as far from the pointy end as it's possible to get.)

I have one pair of shoes for all my bikes.
Double sided clipless pedals on road bikes, single sided/platform on MTB.
Mine are stiff soled, Velcro fastening road bike style shoes (not lace up flexy MTB ones) but the cleat is still recessed and lasts forever
Can walk/run in them fairly well without slipping so good for long transitions (obviously not an issue if you leave shoes on bike)

People talk about hot spots and power transfer but I think this is more a result of the type of shoe rather then the cleats/pedals themselves.

Another option to consider depending on budget and other priorities.

I used spd on my commuter. Mainly for the reasons mentioned. It's also good for the gym as wattbikes and spin bikes generally use spd, so saves needing to take another pair of shoes.

That said, I did suffer from hotspots when I did some longer rides on my first bike (what is now my commuter), and from bike 2 onwards have always gone for SPD-SL. I'll be honest and say I've never tried Look, or other options. Shimano stuff was more readily available (and matched my groupset!). Are there any practical differences between Look and SPD-SL? They look much of a muchness to me.

Speedplay are clearly different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
awildt




Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 612
Location: sunny (!) NW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPDs are a great option as a beginner. For all the reasons mentioned above.

But as soon as you start increasing the distance above 30 miles or so, you will start to get discomfort in your foot. Road specific cleats (Look, Speedplay, Shimano etc etc) have a wide platform so you have a large area to push your foot through the pedal stroke. And all the benefits that go with it - comfort, power, efficiency blah blah blah (the science that you may not care about).

Ebay is the best place to look for your first options.

No matter what you are likely to fall off a few times. Happens to the best. But it really is a great improvement to have cleats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 163
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know if you changed shoes when you changed from SPDs to "road" cleats.

I think people sometimes attribute the improvements you state to the pedal system when actually it is a result of the shoes.

If using touring/MTB shoes with a fairly flexible sole on SPDs but then change to road shoes with a stiff sole as part of the swap to Look/SPD-SL etc then it is not a direct comparison of the pedal system.

If the sole of the shoe is sufficiently rigid then the number and spacing of the mounting points for the cleats shouldn't make any difference.

I have no financial interest in the sale of SPDs, just curious as I haven't experienced the issues often stated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
awildt




Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 612
Location: sunny (!) NW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I'd be interested to know if you changed shoes when you changed from SPDs to "road" cleats.

I think people sometimes attribute the improvements you state to the pedal system when actually it is a result of the shoes.

If using touring/MTB shoes with a fairly flexible sole on SPDs but then change to road shoes with a stiff sole as part of the swap to Look/SPD-SL etc then it is not a direct comparison of the pedal system.

If the sole of the shoe is sufficiently rigid then the number and spacing of the mounting points for the cleats shouldn't make any difference.

I have no financial interest in the sale of SPDs, just curious as I haven't experienced the issues often stated.


Unfortunately you just can't compare apples with apples on this one.

My first pair of shoes with cleats were SPDs, I started with those because of all the reasons (double-sided pedals, spinning etc etc), they are rock solid. There's no give in those shoes. However they are also aimed at MTB, so they weigh a ton. A ton in comparison to the same price range road shoe.

And that's where the comparison falls down. I understand your argument of a rigid sole and distribution of load etc but you won't find the same lightweight MTB design at the lower price range like you'll find in a standard entry level road shoe. MTB shoes are designed for time off the bike in mud generally which road shoes are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.