Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Isaac Joule Aerotec
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grennan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Isaac Joule Aerotec Reply with quote

Hi all,

Not been on here for such a long time! My last tri was around 9 years ago, so that gives you an idea!!!

I was having a great time and then had a long term back injury, an unstable retro lethesis and a ruptured L1 disc. It was a slow road back and I got into more bike events (audax, gravel riding and bikejoring and canicross with my wolfdog), as this did not cause an issue with the back. Swimming was a nightmare and I couldn't swim for a few years!

The back is now stable and I have got back into OW swimming and looking at my first triathlon (again). My tri bike has long gone and I am looking at getting something to get me through the next year or so.

My dream bike was an Isaac and I have been offered one at a reasonable price. It's a NOS (looks like the last year the aerotec was made) and built up last year, but only did around 50 miles before being hung up in the garage. It was built with a 105 drive train, with drops but clip on aeros. That would probably suit me more as I only intend to race sprint distance (at the moment!), I also don't want a dedicated TT bike at this stage.

Although I know Isaac went out of business and has reformed, has there been any issues with these frames whilst I have been away.

As always any thoughts would be great.

Stuart
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! I had a long hiatus too, got back into it 2007. Like me, you'll probably be bamboozled by all the new tech (I even thought the PX Stealth was space age). I would say that the Issac Aerotic has a very aggressive geometry if you've had back issues, as it has a forward sloping top tube. So you would literally need a stack load of spacers & risers if you can't get very low.
grennan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou. The geometry should be okay, with it being a retrolethesis I am okay on bike and aggressive positioning (although probably need to stretch out a bit). I was riding a trek equinox during the worst of my back problems.

The issue has been around swimming, with the ruptured disc being pushing onto my S1 nerve - bloody painful and sometime I wouldn't be able to walk for a few days after swimming. This has now all gone and I have done my first OW swim last week - no issues - YES!
grennan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing stopping me going forward is my belly, so a forward slopping TT tube maybe beneficial Smile

A no alcohol diet should fix that!!
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-8 years since your last post and you can remember your password ?

Impressive memory or scary that you use the same one after nearly a decade Very Happy
grennan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha took me about a week to remember it! I got there in the end, sounds a bit like my tri-record!

I was just checking and it was 8 years since my last Tri and when my back blew-up.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although not the Joule, me and Mrs FB have carbon Isaac Pascal road bikes from the original incarnation of Isaac and before they went bust. probably about 12 years old now and despite many thousands of miles on them (they're our everyday bikes) the frames are still in good nick with no cracks or problems (bar a few scratches) and despite a few crashes.

so based on the quality of Isaac bikes from "back in the day" I suspect it will be fine
grennan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That was my main concern, the longevity of the frame. Although it was NOS I was unsure how Isaac frames had fared over the years. Good to know that the carbon is still going well.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grennan wrote:
Thank you. That was my main concern, the longevity of the frame. Although it was NOS I was unsure how Isaac frames had fared over the years. Good to know that the carbon is still going well.

I get the impression that many of the more modern carbon frames are more susceptible to impact damage as they aren't made as thickly. with new carbon weaves and construction methods, they can make the frames quite thin in the pursuit of lightness combined with strength in "normal" use, but they break easily on impact.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of the original Joules since 2005. I've used it for 8 IMs and I'll be dusting it off again for IM Lanza next year. It doesn't get a lot of use and I haven't ridden it since IM Lanza 2015. I've probably used it for 2 or 3 months in each of the years that I've raced IM, so probably 24 months of solid use in total.

The frame is fine and I still think it's a good looking bike. I did notice when I bought it that the "lifetime warranty" defined a "lifetime" as 5 years Rolling Eyes , but I think that is pretty standard for carbon frames.

I seem to recall that there was a major recall for forks on some of the Isaac bikes just before the company went bust, but I don't know what the issue was. Isaac were supplying forks to Principia before they branched out into their own frames.
grennan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes the recall related the forks and having high spacers on them (or something like that). The frame I am looking at came out just after the recall, the last one before the decline.

It's currently set up with drops and clip on bars, which would initially suit me as I am likely to focus on sprint events in the short-term and will be using it as a race and training bike. If I get into it properly then will take bake to a full TT bike, but at the moment I think I like to the cross over.
grennan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the deal was done and I have an immaculate Isaac, fits really well. Just need to dial in my numbers and have a play.
Old Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine... she's had a respray and a few other mods (di2 etc)and this is her in fully loaded race mode - but still a damn good frame Cool
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bob wrote:

Here's mine... she's had a respray and a few other mods (di2 etc)and this is her in fully loaded race mode - but still a damn good frame Cool

Lost a bit of flexibility with age there?
Old Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Old Bob wrote:

Lost a bit of flexibility with age there?

Tell me about it Rolling Eyes expanding waistline doesn't help either Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: