Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
%FTP for Tenby LCW 112mile bike leg
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: %FTP for Tenby LCW 112mile bike leg Reply with quote

Any ideas from peeps that have done this before?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always depends on how long the event will take you (including the run)

You want to isopace the event in energy terms, (with a strong conservative bias on the earlier events in case you mis-estimate your times as over estimating leads to walking and a big time loss)

somewhere between 60 and 70 probably...
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

You want to isopace the event in energy terms, (with a strong conservative bias on the earlier events in case you mis-estimate your times as over estimating leads to walking and a big time loss)

I'm expecting around 6 hours in good conditions. This is the long course weekend to the run is a day later. I am going to take the run easy so can ride the bike like its a stand alone event.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

standalone 6 hour power is going to be doable at over 80% if you're fit, but it's highly variable on your own conditioning for the longer duration.

However isopacing may not be as useful, if you don't need to run after, so going harder in the slow bits will be worth a bit more.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

I'm expecting around 6 hours in good conditions. This is the long course weekend to the run is a day later. I am going to take the run easy so can ride the bike like its a stand alone event.

Slightly different course but I did it in 2015. I'm a rubbish climber but get along ok otherwise. Think I went 7.08 all up with stops and a thigh injury. I have no garmin, strava or any other gadget, so I only know when I start and I know when I finish.

You'll do well to go 6 on that course but have a better chance if you can start early. (I'm off at 7.30).

I'm using it as nutrition practice for IM Wales so won't be tearing up the road. Big gap between start and first stop, 37 miles. No biggie unless (like me) your second cage is full of nutrition. I think a fiver in the tool bag might be prudent for a garage stop. Very Happy
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Doca wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Slightly different course but I did it in 2015. I'm a rubbish climber but get along ok otherwise. Think I went 7.08 all up with stops and a thigh injury. I have no garmin, strava or any other gadget, so I only know when I start and I know when I finish.

You'll do well to go 6 on that course but have a better chance if you can start early. (I'm off at 7.30).

I'm using it as nutrition practice for IM Wales so won't be tearing up the road. Big gap between start and first stop, 37 miles. No biggie unless (like me) your second cage is full of nutrition. I think a fiver in the tool bag might be prudent for a garage stop. Very Happy

I'm off at 9am, I don't know how the start times are decided? My mate did it last year in 5:45 in bad conditions so I based my 6 hours on that.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70%.

75% if you want to really push it.
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
70%.

75% if you want to really push it.

Thanks tuckandgo, that definitely seems to be in the right ball park.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Doca wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

I'm off at 9am, I don't know how the start times are decided? My mate did it last year in 5:45 in bad conditions so I based my 6 hours on that.

Different course last year but that's a good time. IIRC the year I did it only a dozen or so went sub six. We had heavy rain and pretty then it got quite warm from half way. Everyone was layered up early on and shedding it two hours later. I put my faith in my extensive research and went with just a cycling jersey ( made a lucky guess in other word Very Happy )
Doca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans for a conservative power quickly went out of the window, 243NP from 288 FTP!. Got 5th fastest though and 1st vet with 5:29. Man that course is brutal.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Plans for a conservative power quickly went out of the window, 243NP from 288 FTP!. Got 5th fastest though and 1st vet with 5:29. Man that course is brutal.

Very Happy
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:

If you did is a stand alone Worship

If you did as a LC Athlete Worship Worship Worship Worship
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Doca wrote:

If you did is a stand alone Worship

If you did as a LC Athlete Worship Worship Worship Worship

Thanks FaPom. I did the full weekend although I took it very easy on the run as I'm doing the bike leg of Outlaw as part of a relay team in 2 weeks time and wanted to be recovered for that. Still managed to get 50th overall and am happy with that.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect to you Doca, that's a great effort.

Man that run didn't tickle Exclamation I would have stayed in bed if I'd known it was that hilly Very Happy
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Respect to you Doca, that's a great effort.

Man that run didn't tickle Exclamation I would have stayed in bed if I'd known it was that hilly Very Happy

I ran with a mate & we walked all the hills so for me was pretty easy but I can imagine if you were trying for a time it would really hurt. Loved the event though, I'm already booked in for next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: