Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newbie swim advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Newbie swim advice Reply with quote

Hi. I'm going to take the plunge and do my first tri in September - st Neots sprint - which is a 750m river swim. I've been pool swimming for the last month and am up to 1000m breaststroke in 30 mins. My crawl is hopeless. I had a 1 to 1 lesson last week and have routines to practice, but I'm really struggling to make a length with any chance of breathing.

Should I persevere with trying to learn crawl or just focus my time on breaststroke given that I only have 8 weeks?

Thanks

Nick
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep persevering with front crawl as it will get better with more practice, but if in doubt on race day, you can always revert to breaststroke if needed.

if you enjoy your 1st tri and are hooked, then join a local tri club as many offer swim coaching
buzzing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree - persevere with front crawl as it will "click" but remember there is no shame in doing breast stroke, or some kind of head above water doggy paddle during the event.

If you can get some open water practice in before the event it will pay dividends, and may help avoid the minor panic attack that I often have when in open water - which does nothing to help the breathing!

Good luck, and enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: