Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Life after Ironman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a distinct lack of long distance mojo since my last IM last year... but I have been having great fun doing the bike in some team sprints and oly's.

No training, minimum kit, just rock up and hit the bike as hard as I can before handing over to a racing snake for the run Cool

No mental stress at all - just doing it for the fun, banter, atmosphere etc. Feels like it used to when I first started in Tri 15yrs ago Smile

(would still like to revisit the really long stuff next year though ) Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bob wrote:
I've had a distinct lack of long distance mojo since my last IM last year... but I have been having great fun doing the bike in some team sprints and oly's.

No training, minimum kit, just rock up and hit the bike as hard as I can before handing over to a racing snake for the run Cool

No mental stress at all - just doing it for the fun, banter, atmosphere etc. Feels like it used to when I first started in Tri 15yrs ago Smile

(would still like to revisit the really long stuff next year though ) Wink

Glad to hear you are happy Old Bob, will miss you at Wales though. everytime I walk past that weird tea shop I think of our little gathering. Cool
Old Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate - fond memories of that race, despite the DNF Smile

that was a bloody rough swim... but you're clearly a glutton for punishment! How you doing?
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bob wrote:
hey mate - fond memories of that race, despite the DNF Smile

that was a bloody rough swim... but you're clearly a glutton for punishment! How you doing?

Ok thanks mate. A few operations later and (kind of) raring to go. Completing LCW was a huge boost to confidence Smile

back to cycling and short tris next year, although, Lanzarote and all that! Wink
Old Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done at LCW... good to see you back Cool
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done any training since IMUK although I guess Ride London 100 counts as a long ride Smile

I'm really enjoying this week, getting up early and taking ages over breakfast, work with a leisurely lunch, then home...and no pressure.

I didn't realise how much a training schedule and race target was stressing me out until now..!
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering with the same, though after London mara and not an IM. Cue a long ramble/waffle ...

Big training block at the end of last summer for an ambitious November half. Got bad D&V the weekend before which wrecked me for a few days and subsequently missed my target.

Trained like a demon all winter, huge mileage and a huge commitment with a very ambitious target. Picked up a knee niggle a few weeks before London. Cross trained for the last couple of weeks but was confident there was enough in the tank and it shouldn't have had a detrimental effect on my training load, and the knee seemed to be better.

Ran London and the knee didn't want to play past half way. Crawled it in as it was my first ever London so wanted to try to make the most of the experience still. So again, a big build, tough target and another failure.

Had a very hilly 100km a few weeks after London, so took it easy and saw the physio. Started that feeling good, but the knee wasn't playing again a couple of hours in. Probably shouldn't have, but popped a few painkillers and that sorted me out for the rest of the day. Really enjoyed a super event, stress free as was only a 'challeneg' and not a race.

Took 4 weeks off running completely - the longest gap i've had in the 5 or so years since i started tri/running . Tried to decompress the brain and body and recover. That was the mid June and i'm still struggling with mojo big time. I get a couple of runs under my belt, think things are starting to come together and then get a major case of CBA again.

I seem to be struggling to get out to run on my own, which i've never had a problem with before. Preferring to just chill and eat and drink at home instead. Then every few weeks i put a nice big run in with friends to keep the fitness and ego topped up. The knee seems to be behaving, touch wood, just permanently aches now and also swaps between the two. I think i probably cause a bit of long term damage with the high mileage at the start of the year so i'll monitor and play it by ear.

I've got the Welsh 3000s tomorrow that i have been super excited about for months, though i'm not in great shape. I have no concerns about getting around, but it won't be as comfortable as it could be. I think i have had this and the knee problems in the back of mind all the time and perhaps my brain has been playing a little protectionist game and not letting me get carried away and risking missing this trip.

I don't know if the lack of mojo is just from a really tough autumn and winter and the body and mind needs a rest or if the (perceived) failure at my two target events are having a deeper impact. I think i'm also worried that if i start ramping up the training my body will give out again and that'll cruch me a little bit. So maybe my sub conscious is doing that protection job again? Who knows.

I'm trying to plan what to do next year at the moment, with the hope that once i settle on my 'A' race - one of a few 100 milers that i fancy - i can start to focus. I love the process of building a plan as much as implementing it. So i'm hopng that'll help. I also prefer training through the winter as there are less distractions. But we'll see i guess.

I'm trying to not think about it too much, and convincing myself that the body and mind are craving this rest so just let them have it ... for now. Then build up and go from there.

Apologies for the big brain dump, but hoping it may help me clarify my thoughts a little!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Suffering with the same, though after London mara and not an IM. Cue a long ramble/waffle ...

Big training block at the end of last summer for an ambitious November half. Got bad D&V the weekend before which wrecked me for a few days and subsequently missed my target.

Trained like a demon all winter, huge mileage and a huge commitment with a very ambitious target. Picked up a knee niggle a few weeks before London. Cross trained for the last couple of weeks but was confident there was enough in the tank and it shouldn't have had a detrimental effect on my training load, and the knee seemed to be better.

Ran London and the knee didn't want to play past half way. Crawled it in as it was my first ever London so wanted to try to make the most of the experience still. So again, a big build, tough target and another failure.

Had a very hilly 100km a few weeks after London, so took it easy and saw the physio. Started that feeling good, but the knee wasn't playing again a couple of hours in. Probably shouldn't have, but popped a few painkillers and that sorted me out for the rest of the day. Really enjoyed a super event, stress free as was only a 'challeneg' and not a race.

Took 4 weeks off running completely - the longest gap i've had in the 5 or so years since i started tri/running . Tried to decompress the brain and body and recover. That was the mid June and i'm still struggling with mojo big time. I get a couple of runs under my belt, think things are starting to come together and then get a major case of CBA again.

I seem to be struggling to get out to run on my own, which i've never had a problem with before. Preferring to just chill and eat and drink at home instead. Then every few weeks i put a nice big run in with friends to keep the fitness and ego topped up. The knee seems to be behaving, touch wood, just permanently aches now and also swaps between the two. I think i probably cause a bit of long term damage with the high mileage at the start of the year so i'll monitor and play it by ear.

I've got the Welsh 3000s tomorrow that i have been super excited about for months, though i'm not in great shape. I have no concerns about getting around, but it won't be as comfortable as it could be. I think i have had this and the knee problems in the back of mind all the time and perhaps my brain has been playing a little protectionist game and not letting me get carried away and risking missing this trip.

I don't know if the lack of mojo is just from a really tough autumn and winter and the body and mind needs a rest or if the (perceived) failure at my two target events are having a deeper impact. I think i'm also worried that if i start ramping up the training my body will give out again and that'll cruch me a little bit. So maybe my sub conscious is doing that protection job again? Who knows.

I'm trying to plan what to do next year at the moment, with the hope that once i settle on my 'A' race - one of a few 100 milers that i fancy - i can start to focus. I love the process of building a plan as much as implementing it. So i'm hopng that'll help. I also prefer training through the winter as there are less distractions. But we'll see i guess.

I'm trying to not think about it too much, and convincing myself that the body and mind are craving this rest so just let them have it ... for now. Then build up and go from there.

Apologies for the big brain dump, but hoping it may help me clarify my thoughts a little!

good luck at the welsh 3000...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

good luck at the welsh 3000...

It was bl00dy brilliant thanks! Knees held out fine and had a cracking day!!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Tin Pot arrived this morning at 09:59 Smile

So I skipped bike training Wink
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Slacker Very Happy
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Congratulations!
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Lame excuse....congratulations
Old Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tin Pot... congratulations!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to show I haven't completely forsaken the Wanda Dalia Group Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: