Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Switzerland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill383bikes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Ironman Switzerland Reply with quote

Hi folks any you guys doing ironman in Zurich at the end of the month
Plissken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman Switzerland Reply with quote

I am in. I live here Zürich. any question I am happy to help
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman Switzerland Reply with quote

Plissken wrote:

Hey Snake, I heard you were dead.
Aldo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. How's the lake temperature doing? I've been looking online at what I think is that water temperature but it seems to fluctuate quite a bit given that the lake is so large. I can handle non-wetsuit if that's the way it goes but would defo prefer a wetsuit swim!

also in general how are the road surfaces? I hoping for nice smooth European roads compared to the rough pot-holed roads I've been training on in the uk!
Race1+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldo wrote:
I'm in. How's the lake temperature doing? I've been looking online at what I think is that water temperature but it seems to fluctuate quite a bit given that the lake is so large. I can handle non-wetsuit if that's the way it goes but would defo prefer a wetsuit swim!

also in general how are the road surfaces? I hoping for nice smooth European roads compared to the rough pot-holed roads I've been training on in the uk!

It's Swiss. What are you expecting Wink

Here's some sections of road for you

Just after Natasha Badmann aid station
https://goo.gl/maps/xikzEYgAMvr

Descent in Kusnacht
https://goo.gl/maps/4PYeHoHbaNx

Heartbreak Hill
https://goo.gl/maps/RiGEBpPoWjq

https://www.strava.com/activities/13465411?hl=en-GB
That's the bike course Strava btw

What I would say is that when SkyNews do their World weather thing. Zurich is always a few degrees warmer than London, and it unlike some races, it appears to be one of those races that can be either suit or not on the day.
Plissken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldo wrote:

this is the weather station at the starting beach
https://www.tecson-data.ch/zurich/mythenquai/
Aldo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like the lake is close to non-wetsuit temperature during the day but cools overnight. Will depend on the weather over the next week I suspect.

I would prefer a wetsuit swim but don't really mind if it is non-wetsuit as everyone is in the same boat. I just hope they confirm it the day before as I know for Austria they made the official call one hour before the start which doesn't give much time to ditch the wetsuit in the white bag if not allowed!
piertown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ironman Switzerland Reply with quote

Plissken wrote:

thinking about this for 2018. ant good hotels near start finish etc
e-j

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long time no visit - but I'm out racing this weekend. won't be racing in my TT suit but I'll probably do my Saturday loosener in my old TriTalk suit so give me a wave if you spot me!

Phil Wilson- "EJ... He's an injury rehab ninja."
esox.flucius- "The man that Sport & Exercise doctors turn to for help"
Race1+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman Switzerland Reply with quote

piertown wrote:
Plissken wrote:

thinking about this for 2018. ant good hotels near start finish etc

Zurich is a major city, so theres lots of options.

I stayed at Sihlcity. Nice Hotel which is about a 10-15 min walk to the start at Mythenquai (There's a hill in the way on schulhausstrasse Laughing )

But I gather others stay at the Youth Hostel which is (IIRC) south of the finish area in Landiwiesse.

Switzerland is quite expensive of course, certainly when compared to somewhere like Germany. So bear it in mind.

Course as a rule suits strong bikers, average runners. (So me essentially Very Happy ) Former is hilly (Google for a Strava of it) and the run is pan flat. Swim is different to the year I did it, 1 big loop instead of 2 shorter.

It's one of the longest going events, (started in 83 and there's a vid online of that race) so its efficiently run and the locals are supportive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: