Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tubeless or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltondirtbag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Tubeless or not? Reply with quote

Hi

At the moment I m runnng continental Grand Prix tt tyres and they are fast but are

In my limited experience are prone to punctures (I know there are lots of reasons for this )

Does anyone have experience of Swalbe pro tubeless or any tubeless recommendations

I am not bothered about them being slightly slower due to rolling resistance etc

What I am basically asking is will they actually reduce me messing around with punctures ( as I have lost quite a lot of dexterity after breaking my hand and wrist and it can take me quite a bit of time when changing inner tubes )

Hope the above makes sense

Thanks in advance

B
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Haiku?

Tubeless are great at reducing punctures whilst riding, but hard work off the bike. Harder to fit, require regular checks and top-ups, messy fluid, fiddly set-up, expensive, limited choices of wheels/tyres etc.

One magic solution you should try for tubed or tubeless is to use diluted washing up liquid solution slathered all around the rims and beads whilst fitting and removing tyres. Helps them slip on and off much better.
snowie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubeless are not less prone to punctures.
i think you need to look at why your getting punctures & solve that problem
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
tubeless are not less prone to punctures.
i think you need to look at why your getting punctures & solve that problem

Well they do rule out an entire mode of puncturing. (Pinch flats)
And also force you to ensure another. (Spokes coming in)

But yes, they shouldn't make punctures caused by not simply ensure your kit is okay less likely.

If you live in a flint area, check your tires for flint regularly, they are often on the outside of the casing and then push themselves in on later rides, that's the biggest difference round here between people who have lots and people who don't.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tubeless or not? Reply with quote

Boltondirtbag wrote:
Hi

At the moment I m runnng continental Grand Prix tt tyres and they are fast but are

In my limited experience are prone to punctures (I know there are lots of reasons for this )

Does anyone have experience of Swalbe pro tubeless or any tubeless recommendations

I am not bothered about them being slightly slower due to rolling resistance etc

What I am basically asking is will they actually reduce me messing around with punctures ( as I have lost quite a lot of dexterity after breaking my hand and wrist and it can take me quite a bit of time when changing inner tubes )

Hope the above makes sense

Thanks in advance

B

Are the wheels that you run actually tubeless-ready? If not then you would need to invest in new wheels first.

I've never used tubeless myself, but I did run tubeless-ready Edcos last year with normal clincher tyres with inner tubes. They were a nightmare to get the tyres on and off, just so tight. Once you'd managed to get the tyre back on, you then had to pump it up to about 140psi to seat it properly on the rim Shocked
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run tubeless on the MTB for years - both with UST wheels and with latex - and they have been fine, and very few problems beyond getting the latex versions seated correctly on the wheel without a lot of effort and faff.

the same faff goes for road tubeless from what I've read, although there seems to be a push now towards UST tubeless for road use, although fitting the tyres is the big problem.

however, neither UST or latex are foolproof and punctures can still cripple you so as others have said, find out why you are puncturing so much first.

it's also interesting to see that Mavic have now entered the UST road tubeless market which should give more impetus for more to go tubeless..

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/224595-mavic-introduces-road-ust-tubeless-system-covering-huge-section-wheel-range
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless or not? Reply with quote

Boltondirtbag wrote:
Hi

At the moment I m running continental Grand Prix tt tyres and they are fast but In my limited experience are prone to punctures
Just fit Conti GP4000S instead?
sorry, Boring answer. but you'll get naff all flats with just basic maintenance / checking for flints etc.
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: