Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Pool Swimsuits
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hiphophopper




Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Pool Swimsuits Reply with quote

Ok..so I'm looking at getting back into tris after a 5+ year break where I have just been bike racing. I'm only going to play around at some short, local sprint races next year, most of which will be pool swims.

What is the fastest trisuit available that is suitable for a reasonable swimmer (5.30/400m ..ish) Ideally I'd prefer a sleeved one, but I hear that these aren't allowed on pools...? I'm not worried about the to much, its all about the speed..! Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2312
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pool Swimsuits Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:
Ok..so I'm looking at getting back into tris after a 5+ year break where I have just been bike racing. I'm only going to play around at some short, local sprint races next year, most of which will be pool swims.

What is the fastest trisuit available that is suitable for a reasonable swimmer (5.30/400m ..ish) Ideally I'd prefer a sleeved one, but I hear that these aren't allowed on pools...? I'm not worried about the to much, its all about the speed..! Twisted Evil


if you've been away for 5+ years then you need to acquaint yourself with the current BTF rules as I think you'll find there have been a number of changes! Wink https://www.britishtriathlon.org/competitionrules

from the start of this year sleeves are allowed down to elbow level in any non-wetsuit swim - pool or open water - which should answer your query
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiphophopper




Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pool Swimsuits Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Hiphophopper wrote:
Ok..so I'm looking at getting back into tris after a 5+ year break where I have just been bike racing. I'm only going to play around at some short, local sprint races next year, most of which will be pool swims.

What is the fastest trisuit available that is suitable for a reasonable swimmer (5.30/400m ..ish) Ideally I'd prefer a sleeved one, but I hear that these aren't allowed on pools...? I'm not worried about the to much, its all about the speed..! Twisted Evil


if you've been away for 5+ years then you need to acquaint yourself with the current BTF rules as I think you'll find there have been a number of changes! Wink https://www.britishtriathlon.org/competitionrules

from the start of this year sleeves are allowed down to elbow level in any non-wetsuit swim - pool or open water - which should answer your query


Thanks, will do..!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
antht




Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 809
Location: West Midlands

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ashmei trisuit which is very nice

seems to shed water like a ducks arse
dries quickly (not that it gets that wet anyway)
keeps my meat and two veg in control while running
squeezes all my fat bits in
_________________
http://thetrinerd.co.uk - The Tri Nerd, my Triathlon Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5:30 / 400m "Reasonable swimmer" Very Happy

I class my self as a good swimmer and can only do a 5:51
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 15922
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
5:30 / 400m "Reasonable swimmer" Very Happy

I class my self as a good swimmer and can only do a 5:51


Depends if the OP is an ex-club swimmer. If they are, 5:30 is sh1t Wink For the rest of us, sub 6 is great.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TriSam




Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 1162
Location: Tunbridge Wells

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
5:30 / 400m "Reasonable swimmer" Very Happy

I class my self as a good swimmer and can only do a 5:51


There's no way you can only do a 5:51! You're not trying hard enough.

Based off your time on other threads, I'd expect a sub 5 to be honest. I've done a sub-5 and I'm slower than you over half/Oly distance swims.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about speed through the water. Most well fitting short sleeve trisuits will be no faster/slower than one another over 400m, the differences will show themselves on the bike though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
iwaters wrote:
5:30 / 400m "Reasonable swimmer" Very Happy

I class my self as a good swimmer and can only do a 5:51


There's no way you can only do a 5:51! You're not trying hard enough.

Based off your time on other threads, I'd expect a sub 5 to be honest. I've done a sub-5 and I'm slower than you over half/Oly distance swims.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about speed through the water. Most well fitting short sleeve trisuits will be no faster/slower than one another over 400m, the differences will show themselves on the bike though.


I get quite a bit of benefit from the wetsuit. I have a swimmers body (6'5'' / 6'8'' arm span) which gives me a lot of my speed but my legs are still a bit sinky. My coach was saying at my last 1-2-1 that if I can sort my legs out and speed my turns up I should easily be able to go under 5:30

That sub 20 Oly I did I am sure the course was short by a couple hundred m !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony Stark




Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 2387
Location: Milton Keynes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400m free county qualifying times for an 11-yr old girl are around 5.15 Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 173

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
400m free county qualifying times for an 11-yr old girl are around 5.15 Twisted Evil


Have you been in a pool when those 11 years olds really get going???? They are speed demons with no comprehension of lactate build up or endurance training!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony Stark




Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 2387
Location: Milton Keynes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:
400m free county qualifying times for an 11-yr old girl are around 5.15 Twisted Evil


Have you been in a pool when those 11 years olds really get going???? They are speed demons with no comprehension of lactate build up or endurance training!


Yep, my 9-yr old is sub-6 for 400, and she is pretty MOP in her squad. Need to go on a swim-trek holiday soon before she can utterly humiliate me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiphophopper




Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:
5:30 / 400m "Reasonable swimmer" Very Happy

I class my self as a good swimmer and can only do a 5:51


Depends if the OP is an ex-club swimmer. If they are, 5:30 is sh1t Wink For the rest of us, sub 6 is great.


Not really a club swimmer, at least not since a kid (..a very long time ago) but yes, 5.30/400 is pretty slow compared to what a 'swimmer' can do..

Sad fact....Triathletes are slow swimmers, crap cyclists and heavy runners...
Twisted Evil

A moderate (pure) swimmer in their mid 30's should be able to do 1500 in about 17mins, a moderate (pure) cyclist should be able to do a 40KM TT in under 56mins and a moderate (pure) runner should be able to do a 10km about 35mins... Twisted Evil ... (I can only do one of these..!!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarkyMark76




Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

A moderate (pure) swimmer in their mid 30's should be able to do 1500 in about 17mins, a moderate (pure) cyclist should be able to do a 40KM TT in under 56mins and a moderate (pure) runner should be able to do a 10km about 35mins... Twisted Evil ... (I can only do one of these..!!)


They seem pretty bloody good rather than moderate achievements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leahnp




Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1896
Location: Scottish Borders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a moderate runner and cyclist I can recommend the Ashmei trisuit as anth suggested. It is more like a swim skin with a pad for cycling. As crap swimmer I need all the help i can get
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 173

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkyMark76 wrote:
Hiphophopper wrote:

A moderate (pure) swimmer in their mid 30's should be able to do 1500 in about 17mins, a moderate (pure) cyclist should be able to do a 40KM TT in under 56mins and a moderate (pure) runner should be able to do a 10km about 35mins... Twisted Evil ... (I can only do one of these..!!)


They seem pretty bloody good rather than moderate achievements.


Agreed, a sub 35 minute 10k will put you right at the front of a lot of races.

Yes triathlete compromise on each discipline but have you seen a pure cyclist run a 10k after a bike ride?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.