Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Pool Swimsuits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Pool Swimsuits Reply with quote

Ok..so I'm looking at getting back into tris after a 5+ year break where I have just been bike racing. I'm only going to play around at some short, local sprint races next year, most of which will be pool swims.

What is the fastest trisuit available that is suitable for a reasonable swimmer (5.30/400m ..ish) Ideally I'd prefer a sleeved one, but I hear that these aren't allowed on pools...? I'm not worried about the to much, its all about the speed..! Twisted Evil
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pool Swimsuits Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:
Ok..so I'm looking at getting back into tris after a 5+ year break where I have just been bike racing. I'm only going to play around at some short, local sprint races next year, most of which will be pool swims.

What is the fastest trisuit available that is suitable for a reasonable swimmer (5.30/400m ..ish) Ideally I'd prefer a sleeved one, but I hear that these aren't allowed on pools...? I'm not worried about the to much, its all about the speed..! Twisted Evil

if you've been away for 5+ years then you need to acquaint yourself with the current BTF rules as I think you'll find there have been a number of changes! Wink https://www.britishtriathlon.org/competitionrules

from the start of this year sleeves are allowed down to elbow level in any non-wetsuit swim - pool or open water - which should answer your query
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pool Swimsuits Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Hiphophopper wrote:

if you've been away for 5+ years then you need to acquaint yourself with the current BTF rules as I think you'll find there have been a number of changes! Wink https://www.britishtriathlon.org/competitionrules

from the start of this year sleeves are allowed down to elbow level in any non-wetsuit swim - pool or open water - which should answer your query

Thanks, will do..!
antht

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ashmei trisuit which is very nice

seems to shed water like a ducks arse
dries quickly (not that it gets that wet anyway)
keeps my meat and two veg in control while running
squeezes all my fat bits in
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5:30 / 400m "Reasonable swimmer" Very Happy

I class my self as a good swimmer and can only do a 5:51
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

Depends if the OP is an ex-club swimmer. If they are, 5:30 is sh1t Wink For the rest of us, sub 6 is great.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

There's no way you can only do a 5:51! You're not trying hard enough.

Based off your time on other threads, I'd expect a sub 5 to be honest. I've done a sub-5 and I'm slower than you over half/Oly distance swims.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about speed through the water. Most well fitting short sleeve trisuits will be no faster/slower than one another over 400m, the differences will show themselves on the bike though.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
iwaters wrote:

There's no way you can only do a 5:51! You're not trying hard enough.

Based off your time on other threads, I'd expect a sub 5 to be honest. I've done a sub-5 and I'm slower than you over half/Oly distance swims.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about speed through the water. Most well fitting short sleeve trisuits will be no faster/slower than one another over 400m, the differences will show themselves on the bike though.

I get quite a bit of benefit from the wetsuit. I have a swimmers body (6'5'' / 6'8'' arm span) which gives me a lot of my speed but my legs are still a bit sinky. My coach was saying at my last 1-2-1 that if I can sort my legs out and speed my turns up I should easily be able to go under 5:30

That sub 20 Oly I did I am sure the course was short by a couple hundred m !
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400m free county qualifying times for an 11-yr old girl are around 5.15 Twisted Evil
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
400m free county qualifying times for an 11-yr old girl are around 5.15 Twisted Evil

Have you been in a pool when those 11 years olds really get going???? They are speed demons with no comprehension of lactate build up or endurance training!
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

Have you been in a pool when those 11 years olds really get going???? They are speed demons with no comprehension of lactate build up or endurance training!

Yep, my 9-yr old is sub-6 for 400, and she is pretty MOP in her squad. Need to go on a swim-trek holiday soon before she can utterly humiliate me.
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

Depends if the OP is an ex-club swimmer. If they are, 5:30 is sh1t Wink For the rest of us, sub 6 is great.

Not really a club swimmer, at least not since a kid (..a very long time ago) but yes, 5.30/400 is pretty slow compared to what a 'swimmer' can do..

Sad fact....Triathletes are slow swimmers, crap cyclists and heavy runners...
Twisted Evil

A moderate (pure) swimmer in their mid 30's should be able to do 1500 in about 17mins, a moderate (pure) cyclist should be able to do a 40KM TT in under 56mins and a moderate (pure) runner should be able to do a 10km about 35mins... Twisted Evil ... (I can only do one of these..!!)
MarkyMark76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

A moderate (pure) swimmer in their mid 30's should be able to do 1500 in about 17mins, a moderate (pure) cyclist should be able to do a 40KM TT in under 56mins and a moderate (pure) runner should be able to do a 10km about 35mins... Twisted Evil ... (I can only do one of these..!!)

They seem pretty bloody good rather than moderate achievements.
leahnp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a moderate runner and cyclist I can recommend the Ashmei trisuit as anth suggested. It is more like a swim skin with a pad for cycling. As crap swimmer I need all the help i can get
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkyMark76 wrote:
Hiphophopper wrote:

They seem pretty bloody good rather than moderate achievements.

Agreed, a sub 35 minute 10k will put you right at the front of a lot of races.

Yes triathlete compromise on each discipline but have you seen a pure cyclist run a 10k after a bike ride?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: