Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Recovering from a disappointing result...with another IM?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Recovering from a disappointing result...with another IM? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Last weekend I completed the Vitoria Gasteiz Long Distance tri in 10:41 - having mentally prepared for and aimed for under 10:15 (it was still better than my previous race but strangely there is a fair bit of disappointment). On the day the heat was quite bad (31 C) and the nutrition strategy just did not have enough salts in... Run was meant to be around 3:30-40 but ended up 4:09, oh well...

With it being still quite early in the season, I cannot help but think I can do better, and hence am looking at another IM-distance fast race to do - probably either Challenge Almere-Amsterdam or perhaps IM Wales. Both are on the weekend of 9/10th Sep, so give around 8 weeks of recovery + build period + taper.

From your experience, is this a sound way to get over the feeling? Or would I be better off doing a couple shorter races, say HIM+Olympic and just go for a PB time on both?

Any views from personal experiences would be great.

D
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are feeling alright you can definitely do it, not sure I'd do too many races in between though, make sure you recover first.

You probably won't need to go mad with long sessions as you'll have a lot of the endurance, maybe just do some shorter runs\rides with a bit more intensity and a couple of long bikes\runs.

It sounds like your race problems were more in execution and misfortune (heat) than being underprepared so you could do better next time, albeit Wales isn't a quick course if you are looking for a good time.

Jeff
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have the triathlon specific experience to advise, but what I've learned from other sports - golf most of all - is that individual performances vary.

Over a season you have good days and bad days, the majority of professionals will have more variability in results than you might think, and even world champions have bad events.

So I try to analyse the bad days and good days, take the key learnings, then dismiss the result - face the next event afresh, not make my confidence dependant on the next result.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
If you are feeling alright you can definitely do it, not sure I'd do too many races in between though, make sure you recover first.

Yes Jeff, I was not clear - I meant more the choice between:
1. doing another IM in ~8 weeks
or instead
2. doing a HIM + perhaps an Olympic, also with a suitable rest, and just go for the 'feel good factor' of being able to blitz through shorter races at better speeds...
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waaay slower than you but two years ago, IM Wales was my big race. In preparation that year I entered Tenby LCW also. At LCW I had to DNS the marathon due to a thigh injury.

A few weeks later at IM Wales I ended up getting taken to Camarthen hospital by ambulance after collapsing between laps in the swim. My left left would not work. It was related to the injury earlier in the year and resulted in surgery required later in the year.

The disappointment was massive and at that time I had been competitive in multi sport and endurance events for 33 years and this was my first DNF in any tri. When I was released from hospital and home a couple of days later I just burst into tears Crying or Very sad

Jorgan gave me some advice and that was not to sign up for 2016 ' in anger' and looking for revenge. He comes out with a lot of chaff Wink but this was some good wheat Cool

I tend to alternate years on and off anyway between tri and cycle racing and TT? Last year I went Europe for some cycling camps, did some TTs, did some endurance stuff and reignited my love of surfing.

This year in Jan, I signed up for IM Wales again at my wife's insistence. My back is crumbling and I don't know how many of these type of things I have left in me, plus we are always weighing up when to move back to Oz.

My prep has been going well and apart from a forced week in bed with an ( unrelated) hip injury 4 wks ago, things are on track. I just completed Tenby LCW with 3 personal worst but I'm still happy, why? Because I'm already ahead of where I was 2 years ago.

Is it revenge, ego or something else? I don't know. I do know a measured response is better than than a knee jerk reaction. I need a slow build, especially with running, you may not need that but IM Wales isn't a Euro draft race, it's bloody hard. It's not the race to do on a whim IMO but I'm not as fast as you.

I know this is more than you wanted. Been meaning to get this out for a while now Very Happy
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I know this is more than you wanted. Been meaning to get this out for a while now Very Happy

Many thanks for sharing FatPom, this is much much appreciated, and helps put things into context. I hope your recovery will go well, and fingers crossed for Wales in September.

I have been talking this through with some friends and that has been quite helpful in putting things in perspective - completed IM is still IM, time improvement is good, and nothing one can do about the weather (to your points, Tin Pot and JeffB). It's quite easy to fall down the trap of setting expectations that take enjoyment out of completing the race - and I think this is where I accidentally ended up.

I'm now leaning towards spending a little more time mulling this over and perhaps doing Woburner and maybe an olympic instead. Either that or just re-setting expectations altogether and going just for completion at the Brutal in Wales Wink

Any more similar stories from anyone?
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 2015 I did IM Nice as my A race.

Build up a training went well and I went into the race pretty confident targeting a 11-12hr race.

On the Day thing went tits up. I'm still not sure why.

Swim was good and the first 30mile on the bike excellent, and then I just fell to pieces, in a way I've never experienced before or since. I think it may have been an adverse reaction to mossy bites, my leg was VERY swollen and red and hot to the touch. On the bike my HR wouldn't rise above 140ish and I simply couldn't put out any power anywhere near my normal levels and generally just felt #@?#.

Rolled in on the bike just a bit under 7 hours (<6target) and sat in transition starring at the floor shivering...it was 35+DegC and My feet were burning on the hot concrete...but I was shivering. I knew the game was up and I pulled out after realising the only option was walking the marathon.

My first DNF from any race.

For a week I was fine with it, still being in the south of France enjoying the post holiday probably helped. But once I got home I Started feeling really bad. The thought of all the 6am starts the sacrifices the pain and misery suffered all for a DNF it was just too much, that couldn't be the culmination of all that training and fitness gain.

Within a few days of my return I was signed up for Outlaw on a charity spot and back in training. just enough time for a 4week build cycle.

Did Outlaw in course PB and delivered my best paced race to date.

For a few months it really helped mentally banish all the bad thoughts surrounding France, It showed me my fitness was there and it was just an unlucky fluke. It still irks me, but If I had not gone out and banished the memory instantly it would have eaten me up.

Physically 4 weeks was fine time wise to recover but I didn't run the marathon? If I had I'm not sure it would have been enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: