Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Copenhagen v Kalmar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: IM Copenhagen v Kalmar Reply with quote

I love IM Kalmar and love the event site, event set up, course, Kalmar, the people etc - I love everything about it. However I have done it twice and am considering 2018 options already. Copenhagen gets good reports although I am cautious of split transitions and the hassle they can cause pre race etc. Can anyone provide some insight in IM Copenhagen as a race venue and course? Even better, has anyone done both so they can provide a comparison?

Cheers,

K
doug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Challenge Copenhagen back in the day and have also done Kalmar

Split transition isn't a big problem, the swim is near a metro station, the metro runs all night and they lay on extra trains on race morning, though it can be a bit surreal heading out to the race start, sharing the train with late night revellers on their way home Very Happy

For racking, cycle there or take your bike on the metro, and take the metro back.

Just make sure you get a hotel near the finish and the right metro line and it will be easy.

The swim is straight forward one lap in a big lagoon that goes under several bridges which are packed with supporters.

Bike course is similar, fast and flat coastal section, some twisty slightly rolling rural sections and a couple of bits on dual carriage way with a bit of a grinding climb, all big ring stuff though. Do watch out for the cobbled section and make sure your bike is well bolted together. Support is good through the town sections, but sparse out in the sticks.

Run course (if it the same) is flat with some cobbled sections and has great support through the old city section and quayside, though you are running past bars and party boats that have nothing to do with the tri, so unlike Kalmar you are only one of many things happening that day, all that said everyone is cheering you anyway. The southern section is more modern and a bit soulless.

It has a different character to Kalmar, being a big city race, but still has its own charms.
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Doug, very useful.

Any tips on suitable hotels located as you have outlined?

So, the million $ question.... if you had to pick one race in 2018... if cost was not a factor, would you go with Kalmar and Copenhagen? What are the advantages of one over the other?
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also done both.... loved Kalmar for it's relatively small town feel and the bike course round the island.
doug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tips for hotels as we didn't choose the right one (far away from the finish and the metro).

Having done both, I prefer Kalmar, but only just. Both are great races.
dog walking on two legs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did Copenhagen in 2015, I stayed here....

http://opera.copenhagen-hotel.net/en/#map

It is near the finish and Kongens Nytorv tube station which is on the line to Amager Strand ( the start ).

Worked very well for my family as well, because waiting for me can be a long day Wink

Very straightforward hotel, noty flash at all, but very central. Best to check that none of the transitions or finish have shifted though.

Only microscopic drawback I recall was that it was a bit of a walk to the race briefing - best to catch a cab for that.

Hope it helps.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
I did Challenge Copenhagen back in the day and have also done Kalmar

Split transition isn't a big problem, the swim is near a metro station, the metro runs all night and they lay on extra trains on race morning, though it can be a bit surreal heading out to the race start, sharing the train with late night revellers on their way home Very Happy

For racking, cycle there or take your bike on the metro, and take the metro back.

Just make sure you get a hotel near the finish and the right metro line and it will be easy.

The swim is straight forward one lap in a big lagoon that goes under several bridges which are packed with supporters.

Bike course is similar, fast and flat coastal section, some twisty slightly rolling rural sections and a couple of bits on dual carriage way with a bit of a grinding climb, all big ring stuff though. Do watch out for the cobbled section and make sure your bike is well bolted together. Support is good through the town sections, but sparse out in the sticks.

Run course (if it the same) is flat with some cobbled sections and has great support through the old city section and quayside, though you are running past bars and party boats that have nothing to do with the tri, so unlike Kalmar you are only one of many things happening that day, all that said everyone is cheering you anyway. The southern section is more modern and a bit soulless.

It has a different character to Kalmar, being a big city race, but still has its own charms.

Sums it up pretty well from my memory

Can't help with the hotel ....ours was awful! cabinn Scandinavia, not too bad for location but really pretty small and quite expensive, but I suppose it was cheap for Copenhagen!
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copenhagen would be the tourist option, Kalmar the countryside option.

Haven't done Kalmar, but Copenhagen is a bit surreal in that they basically shut down a capital city, and a large part of the island, for the day during the race. All closed roads. Having driven there often it felt really weird to me.

Swim is as easy as it gets, bike can mostly only be affected by wind (and a narrow/cobbled start), but run is rather, well, meh. If you like to strut your stuff it's awesome with some 200,000 supporters along a 5k stretch (10k out'n'back), amazing noise with boom boxes every 200 meters and constant cheering.

If you, like me, like to focus and concentrate it's a pretty hellish run. But then, you probably wouldn't consider m-dot if that's what you are looking for.

Split transition isn't a problem due to the amazing public transport infrastructure in Copenhagen. Way ahead of anything in the UK. Just buy a return ticket when racking since there's only a small ticket machine at the Amager Strand station, with a mother of a queue when everyone who has racked tries to get back.

I stayed at my sister's which is nowhere near the centre. Getting back from finish wasn't a problem either since, again, trains run all the time. I'd say pick a hotel near a station but doesn't matter too much where it is located otherwise.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

If you, like me, like to focus and concentrate it's a pretty hellish run. But then, you probably wouldn't consider m-dot if that's what you are looking for.

As much variation & distraction as possible for me; I think I'm going to love the Outlaw run Laughing
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:

As much variation & distraction as possible for me; I think I'm going to love the Outlaw run Laughing

I did Outlaw in 2013 and while there is good support and all that, it's nowhere near the madness I saw in Copenhagen. Most of the way the crowd was 2 deep, near the centre it was more like 5 deep.
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:

I did Outlaw in 2013 and while there is good support and all that, it's nowhere near the madness I saw in Copenhagen. Most of the way the crowd was 2 deep, near the centre it was more like 5 deep.

Honestly when I did it, it was pretty quiet! Certainly Outlaw was more intense.

But then I did it in 2013, so was the first Ironman Year and there was an almighty Squall hitting just as the Mara started.

Maybe that kept the crowds down?

I do notice a big difference in Outlaw support depending on the weather.

Still I love a big crowd, unless I'm really blowing up, then I don't like anything.
Whitters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to say I found 2013 and 2015 the same - loud, especially out of T2 and under the bridge (...and then another 4 times). I was there as a spectator in 2014 too, it was wet but the crowds were still big. Very few quiet sections on the run as far as I recall, in contrast to the bike which was dead just about everywhere outside the city, apart from the "hill" at Geels Bakke
midsfella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Kalmar, what is the best / cheapest way to get there?

Any suggestions on hotels or accommodation?

Is it a place where after the race I can spend some downtime / rest with the family?

Any advice would be great.
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalmar is amazing and certainly worth staying on afterwards. There is not loads to do but you'll certainly get a chance to relax in stunning scenery as well as eat and drink very well.

The easiest way to get to Kalmar is to fly to Copenhagen and then train to Kalmar. There are no direct flights from London and so the only other flying option is to get a flight from Copenhagen to Kalmar. However, the train is such a good service (and so cheap) that its a no brainer. The train station is in the airport so it couldn't be easier.

Kalmar is a small place so all hotels are very central, all staff are polite and speak excellent English so you can't go wrong.

Love the place!!
midsfella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennyOX2 wrote:
Kalmar is amazing and certainly worth staying on afterwards. There is not loads to do but you'll certainly get a chance to relax in stunning scenery as well as eat and drink very well.

The easiest way to get to Kalmar is to fly to Copenhagen and then train to Kalmar. There are no direct flights from London and so the only other flying option is to get a flight from Copenhagen to Kalmar. However, the train is such a good service (and so cheap) that its a no brainer. The train station is in the airport so it couldn't be easier.

Kalmar is a small place so all hotels are very central, all staff are polite and speak excellent English so you can't go wrong.

Love the place!!

Cheers for your advice Kenny..... I was looking at this or Nice as my "A" race next year...

Is it tough to get an entry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: