Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Roth 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Roth 2018 Reply with quote

Just waiting for an email to find out if my pre-registration was successful.

Anybody know how long we wait? Post on here if you have your code - Good luck everybody.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, is it a new system? I thought you got told if your registration was successful immediately online?
Flee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Ah right, is it a new system? I thought you got told if your registration was successful immediately online?

I've not entered before, but this year you pre-register, then if successful you get a code which you can use within the next week to register fully.
Flee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my junk mail folder and I have an email from Challenge saying I was successful and to expect another email with my code within 12 hours - this just got real Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Race1+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be complete pot luck. I tried and got a place. First attempt.

But I read elsewhere people saying they clicked at 10s past, which is probably the same time as I did, and it was sold out?

So many questions now.

Where do people stay? Nuremberg or Munich or locally?
Same question for flights? Nuremberg or Munich?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race1+ wrote:
Seems to be complete pot luck. I tried and got a place. First attempt.

But I read elsewhere people saying they clicked at 10s past, which is probably the same time as I did, and it was sold out?

So many questions now.

Where do people stay? Nuremberg or Munich or locally?
Same question for flights? Nuremberg or Munich?

I would start by searching old threads on Roth, as I have written reams of stuff in there, including a very long bike course description in the 'QCR 2008' thread.

But accommodation - book it NOW! There is very little in Roth, so first off look to outlying towns or Nurnburg. I stayed at Hotel Pietsch in Freystadt, fine if you have a car.

It's split transition, so if you have support it's easy enough, otherwise you'll have to use the shuttle services. I can also tell you a back way to drive to avoid Hipolstein on race morning (depending where you stay) Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hotel-pietsch.de/
https://www.booking.com/city/de/allersberg.de.html

The Hay Day of TriTalk - the 2008 thread. Basically a compendium of what to know about the race/area (old run course obviously).
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=558360&sid=9d51a7343c2c4cc5d1fcb55a24bb30cd
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Here you go, from the 2008 thread (back during the TT boom years). This was my recce of the Bike course when I lived out there.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32036&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=570

QCR Bike Route – The ‘Lowdown’

Bear with me; in fact you may want to put the kettle on first!

Well, I thought living so close (90 mins) from the course, I ought to go and do it! The plan was to do 2 laps, starting from the opposite side of the canal from the start. Timing-wise, I should probably have left it another week; doubtless there was still some fatigue in my legs from the 70.3 race I did last weekend, but the wife is visiting next weekend, so no choice really, needs must! Yesterday I also did a 70min run in about 30 degree heat, you know, just to make sure I had some accumulated fatigue! I actually stayed at the hotel I’m in over race weekend, Hotel Pietsch in Freystadt; not so much to get an early start, but I just couldn’t be bothered to drive up on the day, I’m no morning person I’m afraid! How will I manage on 13 Jul?!

Right, let’s get this common misconception out of the way first. I, like many others, see the super fast times the pros do at Roth, especially the bike, and assume it’s going to be flat…..it’s not. The evening before, I came off the autobahn at Greding and drove the back half of the course, I have to admit, my heart sank a little. Okay, the second half is a bit harder, but living in a very flat part of Bavaria (they exist), I soon realised I had my work cut-out over this distance if I was to realise my goals. The course suits strong bikers and should present them with no problems at all, but hey, I’ve got runners legs… like string! To get the technicalities out of the way for the fast-boys that lurk on here, so they can go and do something else (Mark T?!) I rode a 53/39 & 12-23, but an 11-21 is fine for strong bikers; I didn’t use the 23 sprocket even with my stringy legs! Yes, I know, some of you will be scoffing at my claims of being a weaker rider Razz

My start-finish point was the Rothsee car park just over the bridge from the T1 area and still being quiet I managed to park close to the road; this was ideal as I planned to pick-up more bottles after the first lap. I saw quite a few groups and individuals going past, clearly doing the course with 6 weeks to go! There’s obviously a different attitude over here in Germany towards using bling when training; it’s very common to see the locals out training with their Xentis wheels on, I guess the German attitude is why pay all that money and leave them at home! I think your average Brit would feel a little conspicuous or embarrassed to go out with the best wheels on all the time.

I got going at 10.30; I know, but remember I’m no early-bird except on race day! (my flexibility at work means I can swim during the day, phew!). Starting at this time had both advantages & disadvantages weather/heat-wise: I could get used to the warm weather, but of course it may get quite hot in the afternoon, as I was to find out. Ultimately I couldn’t grumble at the heat, as race-day could be the same, more on this later. So I set off for my first lap with 500ml in my aero bottle and 2x750ml of the ‘Sponsor Long Energy’ behind the saddle….oh, and with training wheels on of course!

Although I didn’t ride out of T1, you effectively ride up a slip-road on to the main road which inclines up to my start point. With this in mind, it is worth considering putting bike shoes on before mounting because of this incline for the first 400m or so. The first short section through Haimpfarrich is fairly quick and gives you a chance to get your head straight after the swim. First top-tip is to hold on to your handlebar aero bottle when crossing the canal locks just before Haimpfarrich, this s-bend section has a big rut/ridge across the road, on the bridge, which causes you to get a soaking from the contents – make sure everything is secure before you start. The course is pretty pleasant up to & past Eckersmühlen where you turn left towards Wallesau; a few undulations, but nothing serious. The first incline of any note comes between Laffenau & Heideck, I did briefly use the 39 ring here, Germans would just beast the big-ring! Nothing to worry about. Through Heideck and then between here and Greding the road is pretty fast, a couple of false flats but with good surfaces. The only thing to spoil this would be the wind, it certainly struck me that large parts of the course are susceptible to the wind, particularly up on the plateau section after the Greding climb to Obermassing, the section between Lay & Eysölden and the loop between the Hilpolstein ‘passes’ (Grauwinkl/Pierheim/Morlach).

So, the biggest climb on the course. Apart from the road signs (!) you can tell the climb is near when you see the big MacDonalds service station sign in the distance to your right. You take the left turn off the main road and after about 300m the climb begins. The steepest section is first, lasting about 300m, then it eases-off in to an in-the-saddle grind up towards some sort of military installation on the left (you’ll recognise this on Google Earth). The climb slowly peeters-out to a series of undulations on a plateau past Röckenhofen & kleinnottersdorf, just hope it isn’t windy! At this point I could see the heat haze coming off the road between the undulations…. Like something off an American movie set in Arizona (but green!) You’ll be waiting for the descent now! After passing Kleinottersdorf there’s one more undulation before the relief, the desent to Obermassing. This is a fast and dangerous descent. On race day it will be ‘interesting’ with all the other racers. This is really a chance for most people to get their HR down, take on a drink and enjoy the free ride gravity offers. There are a number of tight turns, first a tight left, then a tight hairpin right (watch for small stones on the road here) then a straight followed by a couple more bends (left then right) which aren’t quite as severe. The road then straightens out and goes through the village of Obermassing. The section between Obermassing & Lay is one of nicest. Here there are poppy fields and small villages with churches scattered across the flat landscape, very picturesque! Lay means a left turn towards Eysölden. Here the road consists of a false-flat with one of the poorer quality surfaces on the route. In fact the worst section of tarmac on the course is at the top of a small incline, made worse by the shade which means you can’t see where the worst ruts are! Again this will test how well you have attached everything to your bike. After this short unpleasant section there’s a small descent down to Eysölden.

From Eysölden round to Unterrödel the gentle undulations continue, all big-ring stuff (well, for me). Just before the first descent in to Hilpolstein there’s a short incline which was easy on the first lap, but had me using the small-ring second time round to avoid too much lactate (by this point on the second lap I was probably fairly dehydrated). Then there’s a nice little descent in to Hilpolstein before the sweeping right turn on to the Solarerberg. Well today it was very quiet! An eerie silence broken only by my heavy breathing, the birds and the odd passing car. Oh how different it will be on the big day. I sat in the saddle and plodded up in the small ring to avoid too much lactate; again the Germans/Pros will just bludgeon the big-ring up here; it’s not all that bad. Then it’s a loop up on a small plateau and back down in to Hilpolstein again; nothing to report here really, provided there’s no strong wind! Once back though and up out of Hilpolstein you come to the T1 area again…end of lap one. For me a quick diversion to the car to pick-up 2 more 750ml bottles, top-up the aero bottle and a slug of mineral water before darting-off for lap 2. Lap 1 took 2h34mins. Once more in to the breach, I know what to expect this time around…..

Dammit, that rut, ridge or whatever it is over the Canal Lock got me again – covered in sticky drink Rolling Eyes Lap 2 continued as per the first, but after Eckersmühlen I noticed the wind had picked-up and the grass was swaying at the roadside, b*gger. Fortunately this only seemed to last for a few kms, either that or I just got used to it. After 120kms I was back ‘round to the stretch between Thalmässing & Greding & the aches/pains were starting. I’d obviously done-up the Velcro too tight on my shoes as my toes were starting to hurt, so I did about 3km until just before Greding with them undone; this provided some relief. My lower back was also starting to protest, I think this was the first sign of the fluid deficit I was accumulating – no aid stations on this ride. So, the second Climb of Greding; I was looking forward to getting this swine out of the way for ‘good’, well for today at least. On the way up I was beginning to think how hot it had become, so, being a flash git and having an Ergomo I could check…..35.4 degrees Embarassed WTF, no wonder I was beginning to suffer. I actually took-on 6 ‘salt-stick caps’ during the ride, but TBH, it was fluid I needed and what I took wasn’t enough for me, I know that I need more fluids than a lot of people and it was taking its toll. I should really have stopped at a garage, but you know how it is, I wanted to keep going! I also noticed my power was starting to drop-off….hmm. Fortunately there are 4 or 5 aid stations per lap in the event….thank goodness! I’ll be drinking for Britain on 13 Jul.

So, everything continued as per lap one, I descended down to Obermassing with my velcro undone again, ahh, much better! albeit progress was marginally slower as the backache was stopping me from getting so aero; that nasty little bit of tarmac before Eysölden felt worse this time ‘round too. I continued round towards Hilpolstein again, using the base-bars a little bit more than before, but still making progess! The Solarerberg came round again and felt that bit steeper second time around as I bobbed out of the saddle to give the back some relief. But not much further now; in fact the rest of the ride continued without incident or any thing remarkable; I just hope they sort out the road works on the edge of Hilpolstein before the day! So back to the car and the day’s work was done. I left-out the last little stretch to Roth & T2, saving something new for race day. In total 172km on the speedo after 5h18m of riding, still, my aero wheels and helmet should save at least 20 mins on that (dream-on!). I wonder how it would have felt if I’d left it another week for more recovery, or if it wasn’t 35 degrees?? Ack, it’s over with now, in the bank. After sitting in the shade & downing a litre of Accelerade I went down to the Rothsee to wash all the bugs & salt off, a good end to the day.

Well, if anyone’s still awake, I hope you found some of it of interest regarding the bike route; fingers crossed it won’t be as hot on race day….what chance? That said; the descent to Obermassing would be carnage in the wet…… Shocked

I’m looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible next month at the biggest IM dist race in the World!

I think I might have a rest day tomorrow, what do you think?!

Race1+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

But accommodation - book it NOW! There is very little in Roth, so first off look to outlying towns or Nurnburg. I stayed at Hotel Pietsch in Freystadt, fine if you have a car.

It's split transition, so if you have support it's easy enough, otherwise you'll have to use the shuttle services. I can also tell you a back way to drive to avoid Hipolstein on race morning (depending where you stay) Wink

Thanks Jorgan!

Well I waited a day or 2 too long! Everywhere seems full! Got a place in a Novotel in Nurnberg (messezentrum) so hopefully it's not a crap place to stay.

Looks like it's a drive down the autobahn 9 to Swim start in Hilpoltstein, so not sure whether to rent a car or just get a cab on the day.

May still need those directions, but nearer the time please sir Smile

Going to have a read of your journal over the weekend, expect more questions in due course Confused
Biscuitmad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Second chance offer - Genuine? Reply with quote

I recently received an email advising my waiting list application had been successful and I was supplied a link and personal entry code.

My paranoia has got the better of me and I'm wondering if its genuine especially as their website says all sold out.

It looks ok Confused

Thoughts?
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Second chance offer - Genuine? Reply with quote

Biscuitmad wrote:
I recently received an email advising my waiting list application had been successful and I was supplied a link and personal entry code.

My paranoia has got the better of me and I'm wondering if its genuine especially as their website says all sold out.

It looks ok Confused

Thoughts?

I got same
Biscuitmad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Second chance offer - Genuine? Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
Biscuitmad wrote:

It looks ok Confused

Thoughts?

I got same

Have you entered?
Clearly one way or another my account is going to be hammered....I'd just prefer it to be for something I wanted.
Race1+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely contact Challenge via the email on their site?
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into Roth on my first attempt a few years ago, then had to bail on it as Mrs FP needed an operation.

Back then, they used to release another 150 spots to internationals on Dec 1st IIRC Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: