Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortirolo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Ironman kit Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a cyclist and wanting to finish an Ironman 140.6 next summer. I haven't investigated much, but I want to start a bike ride with a decent pair of bibshorts like Assos for example especially with a 180km bike ride which isn't long for an experienced cyclist, the run is the problem for me but you need a decent pair of bibs to cycle properly for that distance.

How does the kit changing work? from swimming >cycle >run? Complete novice to Ironman so excuse me, I did Triathlons in mid 90's but obviously kit was very basic back then, the events I entered was only a handful.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent tri suit will see you through all 3 disciplines withought thenneed to change.
caesar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are changing tents so you can change completely between disciplines. At least there were at Ironman Switzerland in 2008!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the base model tri suit from 2XU, spent 7.5hrs riding on it - undercarriage was fine.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as above, seems like most big tri's will have marquees for transition where can get changed, some even have individual booths within them for complete privacy (or people just get changed in front of other competitors +/- towel wrapped round them).

I only started cycling properly this year in order to do an ironman and struggled with saddle sores for a while, was worried about how could do 180km but found trisuit to be more comfortable than bib shorts. Think vast majority are fine with a one or two piece tri suit, but ultimately it's a long day and so taking an extra few minutes to change into whatever you're comfortable in will make it worth it.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go the tri suit route, Which is exactly what I do. I strongly suggest a two piece.

One piece can be difficult to get down, in case of a rear end emergency....its just generally much easier to #@?# in a two piece. Laughing

You may not think that's important ....but it is
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
If you do go the tri suit route, Which is exactly what I do. I strongly suggest a two piece.

One piece can be difficult to get down, in case of a rear end emergency....its just generally much easier to #@?# in a two piece. Laughing

200mg caffeine tablet 1 hour before race start then 30 mins later it will be a system empty situation. No need to worry after that. Works for me anyhow.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

I've got the 2XU Tri Vent with the 'waistcoat' front, works a treat Smile
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
SGreg wrote:

200mg caffeine tablet 1 hour before race start then 30 mins later it will be a system empty situation. No need to worry after that. Works for me anyhow.

Yes yes all well and good, I do similar with copious amounts of coffee and redbull, But I have still had incidents...

I like to know I can get access very quickly...just in case

Its not like a two piece has downsides really?
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Doca wrote:
SGreg wrote:

Yes yes all well and good, I do similar with copious amounts of coffee and redbull, But I have still had incidents...

I like to know I can get access very quickly...just in case

Its not like a two piece has downsides really?

The tri top from my club kit 2 piece rides up on the run, I have to keep pulling it down every mile or so or it ends up like a crop top. I've actually resorted to safety pinning it to my shorts so I'm going for 1 piece next time.
mortirolo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a Tri Suit looks like the answer, I'll check out Castelli. I suppose most of the bike rides in an Ironman are generally flat compared to like a big mountain sportive cycling event. I rode a crazy one years ago 290km with over 7,000m of climbing, my butt was super sore 11hrs later. With that type of of race you are constantly changing position on the saddle at different angles. Where I'm guessing an Ironman the road is probably not that steep if at all and your position will stay the same. I'll speak to the guys at Sigma Sport in Kingston Upon Thames near and dicuss as well.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of different IM course with lots of different Profiles, Not all of them are flat, in fact I think more are hilly than really flat. and some are really quite mountainous...Lanza, France spring to mind.

Something to suit everyone!
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Position staying the same on the flatter courses isn't necessarily a pro point for comfort either, chance to readjust up hills and take pressure off can be welcome after long time in aero position towards the front of the saddle.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg, just add loperamide after your morning cleanse. Some bloating discomfort after, but keeps the canals empty and blocked during the race at least.
mortirolo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
There are lots of different IM course with lots of different Profiles, Not all of them are flat, in fact I think more are hilly than really flat. and some are really quite mountainous...Lanza, France spring to mind.

Something to suit everyone!

I was looking at Ironman France, with climbing involved that would suit me down to a tea been a roadie! I wouldn't have to use a TT bike, in fact I ridden some of those climbs they aren't that steep, but some of those decents would be a problem on a TT bike they are reasonably technical. That way I wouldn't have to adjust to a TT bike which I hate more than 50km to be honest. I suppose you going to get a better chance of good weather in Nice. But when it rains in Nice it's in the bucket loads! I think Nice would be hard, sea swim and run but would suit me for my 1st full Ironman rather than Zurich for example where you need a TT bike, maybe after my 1st ironman I could switch to a TT bike for the next one......thinking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: