Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
808 or tri spoke front

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemac32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: 808 or tri spoke front Reply with quote

I am getting a new front wheel for TTís and Middle distance Triís, itís on the cycle2work scheme and I have £750 spend in Evans so my options are Zipp 808 or the Fast Forward Tri spoke so which do you think would be the best and why.

Currently riding PlanetX 101 rear and 50 front and will upgrade the rear next year. Iím 82kg so should be able to handle the side winds ok.

Thanks All
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting on the trispoke is going to be better than the 808, less to go wrong.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 808 or tri spoke front Reply with quote

stevemac32 wrote:
I am getting a new front wheel for TTís and Middle distance Triís, itís on the cycle2work scheme and I have £750 spend in Evans so my options are Zipp 808 or the Fast Forward Tri spoke so which do you think would be the best and why.

Maybe the rules have changed over recent years as I last used cycle2work in about 2008, but dont you have to buy a complete bike to qualify - not just a wheel ?
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 808 or tri spoke front Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
stevemac32 wrote:

Maybe the rules have changed over recent years as I last used cycle2work in about 2008, but dont you have to buy a complete bike to qualify - not just a wheel ?

They haven't changed and you are correct. You have to buy a complete bike. You can buy additional items you might need for commuting at the same time, but that is things like lights, bike lock, helmet. Not Zip 808s Smile
stevemac32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They havent pulled me up on it yet so am having my fingers crossed that they think a 'Zipp 808 700c' is a bike Smile should know in the next 2 weeks.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemac32 wrote:
They havent pulled me up on it yet so am having my fingers crossed that they think a 'Zipp 808 700c' is a bike Smile should know in the next 2 weeks.

Maybe you can just get a 50 quid shed of a bike too if they call you up on it? Commuting on that with tri-spoke front would certainly get you some attention.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an invoice for a Trek commuter bike but the box was distinctly the size of a left hand crank with Stages written all over it.

Things are being bent left, right and centre. Not sure Evans would do it but the LBS didn't even blink. And it's quite a reputable LBS, which says a whole lot about the general state of B2W, CycleScheme, etc.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle2work did change sometime in the last couple of years so that you can spend the full amount on equipment with no need to buy a bike. There's a few things you can't buy, off the top of my head cycle computers is one of them.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/11305/cycle-to-work-guidance.pdf) states that "equipment" should be "safety equipment", so I'm not sure how an aero wheel could ever fall into that category. The bike and equipment also have to be used primarily for commuting.

There's clearly a lot of abuse of the scheme and the LBS's tend to encourage this abuse by allowing people to use their vouchers to part pay for a more expensive bike. HMRC are scratching around for more tax everywhere these days, so I wouldn't be surprised if they started to audit the schemes at some of the bigger employers.

Note also that the bike/equipment belong to the employer until the end of the 12 month hire term, when you have the option to buy it from them. If you are thinking of changing jobs or think you might be made redundant during the 12 month term then any outstanding payments become payable in full and without the tax saving. You also have to buy the bike off the employer at "market value" if you want to keep it Rolling Eyes
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did have an 808 FC but sold it and picked up a mint ADR3 gloss clincher tri spoke 2nd hand on TTF forum for 450 which I love. 808 FC is a lovely wheel but the ADR3 is sexier Cool

NT Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: