Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
World Champs entry fees
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paradiddletri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: World Champs entry fees Reply with quote

This is my first message on this forum - hope you can help with your opinions!

I am sure I am not the only one complaining about the eye-watering 310. that the ITU want for the World's at Rotterdam this year- up again from last year. The sprint is a little cheaper at 295.00. My first qualification in 20017 (Hamburg was around 150.00 (I think)

I wrote to the CEO at BTF with my concerns but I have not had the courtesy of a reply yet.

What are your thoughts - profiteering or since I am in my 20th year, am I just out of date?
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the race organisers usually use the AG race to pay for the running of the pro race? Even with entries set at that level, I doubt if the race is turning much of a profit.
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the CEO of the BTF gives flying .... to be honest.

That is eye-wateringly expensive though and I would be pissed. Not that it is a problem I am likely to get near.

I do share your frustration though. Some bog standard events are every expensive to enter. I was looking for a half ironman later in September as I have had to change my season slightly and I found one but it was 160.

I think the problem is thought that people will still keep paying it and so they will keep charging that. Same with MDot events, everyone complains at the cost but more people than ever are doing them.

You could always do the classic triathlete thing and set up a Crowdfundding page and get random strangers to pay your entry fee Smile
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age Group team in expense shocker. Profiteering pure and simple, playing with the snowflake like egos of the people that want to look pro to their mates.

Pay to register an interest to QF, pay to race QF'er, pay once qualified for management fees, pay to enter the race, pay for the trisuit, pay for all the other AG sh!t like tshirts and tracksuits or hoodies that change every season. Boast to uninitiated mongbook fans how you raced for GEEEBEEEE and come 8th ( Brit out of 8 ) at the World Champs (for people not good enough to race pro)...priceless Wink

Cynical?

Last edited by hammerer on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at ST and Transitions, it seems no different for US, Canada or Oz. I think Oz has some mandatory 'parade wear' that you have to spring for as well. It does seem expensive but I don't think BTF are Robinson Crusoe here.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Age Group team in expense shocker. Profiteering pure and simple, playing with the snowflake like egos of the people that want to look pro to their mates.

Pay to register an interest to QF, pay to race QF'er, pay once qualified for management fees, pay to enter the race, pay for the trisuit, pay for all the other AG sh!t like tshirts and tracksuits or hoodies that change every season. Boast to uninitiated mongbook fans how you raced for GEEEBEEEE and come 8th ( Brit out of 8 ) at the World Champs (for people not good enough to race pro)...priceless Wink

Cynical?

Don't forget the further qualifier of that being 8th out of the people who happen to be a similar age to you ...
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, had no idea it was that expensive, I register in the thought I might get a roll-down but glad I didn't.

You could do a 70.3 for that.

Jeff
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Wow, had no idea it was that expensive, I register in the thought I might get a roll-down but glad I didn't.

Jeff

I know, I think the sprint is 330!! That's one bloody expensive race before You even get out of the front door. Weymouth 70.3 is the same weekend at
275 (I think) with quite a few slots for WC South Africa.

Whilst Hammerers comments appear cyclical, he's not a million miles away from the truth
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt theres much profit in it for the RO....they have to pay for the privilege to host the event...

as for the additional fees, if you can find a kind soul to do that for free, then that would make quite a saving all round, but I am guessing that is unlikely...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
I know, I think the sprint is 330!! That's one bloody expensive race before You even get out of the front door. Weymouth 70.3 is the same weekend at

So you can go to Weymouth and get jeered by the locals who really don't want you there, or you can go to Rotterdam, enjoy a triathlon festival with the real pro triatheletes. If VfM is your main concern you are in the wrong sport. If you think a half is better value because it takes longer, then you need to ride slower. It's an event, you can choose to enter if you wish. Entry fees are a small part of what some people seem to spend on this sport.

--
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
chickenboy wrote:

So you can go to Weymouth and get jeered by the locals who really don't want you there, or you can go to Rotterdam, enjoy a triathlon festival with the real pro triatheletes. If VfM is your main concern you are in the wrong sport. If you think a half is better value because it takes longer, then you need to ride slower. It's an event, you can choose to enter if you wish. Entry fees are a small part of what some people seem to spend on this sport.

--

Agreed, it is all choice and these are first world problems, but for some of us who don't have oodles of cash, the pennies do count. I'm still waiting for a possible Roll down so it might not even be a decision to go or not, but you could be right, maybe I need to focus on the experience value rather than 's/miles
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Cynical?

Don't forget the further qualifier of that being 8th out of the people who happen to be a similar age to you ...

How did I forget that one Laughing
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

Whilst Hammerers comments appear cyclical, he's not a million miles away from the truth

It was kind of tongue in cheek but I've just never got the whole AG thing. Vets in 5 year bands yes but an 18-24 or 25-29 AG is just pathetic.
Although whilst there are easy ways to get a trisuit if social media bragging is your thing, generally in my AG you'd still have to be bl00dy quick to get in. Sub 2hr Oly is not unusual in those middle AG's
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
chickenboy wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

It was kind of tongue in cheek but I've just never got the whole AG thing. Vets in 5 year bands yes but an 18-24 or 25-29 AG is just pathetic.
Although whilst there are easy ways to get a trisuit if social media bragging is your thing, generally in my AG you'd still have to be bl00dy quick to get in. Sub 2hr Oly is not unusual in those middle AG's

Yeah it really grinds my gears also.

Saw some chap with a GB trisuit got retweeted talking up a long easy run he'd done (think it was about 21K in 1:28 or something) so I thought "he must be a reasonable runner" and I half recognized the name so was interested to see if I'd been in any of the same running races as him.

A quick check on power of 10 was illuminating. Turns out it his 'easy run' was only about 5 minutes mins slower than his HM PB (and he'd done a few of them) so clearly was a bragging prat. He'd got his GB kit by qualifying for the Euro Duathlon Sprints in the M30-35 AG, which given his 5K PB of 19 mins sort of shows you just need to pick your qualifiers!

Needless to say he had his own website, and was 'sponsored' or 'powered by' all the usual obscure food/drink brands who presumably give him free stuff.
Rolling Eyes
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's 330 quid for ~70 minutes, or 4.71 /minute.

A speedy Triathlon X on 15 hours is 265 = 30 p/minute (24 p/min with early bird discount). My slow X will be sub-20 p/min.

Value for money? Go long, go hard. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: