Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
World Champs entry fees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
FatPom wrote:
It will be easier for GB athletes to get to Worlds on the GC for example, as it's a long way to go and the exch rate is sh1te so there is just not that many people prepared to go.

I'm actually banking on this! I'm not one that would brag or believe it's something that it's not, but the Grand Finals would be a fun race/event/week to be a part of and with it being in Australia, for me, the expense actually becomes more justifiable. I can make a much larger holiday out of it, get to race somewhere pretty cool, go visit one of my best mates from uni who emigrated a number of years ago (I've not been out to see him in about 6 years) and I know a number of my club will be there, as some already qualified at Leeds, meaning a good group and fun atmosphere.

I see it as a one off and not something I would look to try and qualify for every year like some. Getting the tri suit would also double down cost wise if I got a spot at the multisport championships in Denmark. I want to do that for the novelty of the O3 distance. They tend to have an open wave (they have one at Penticton) so even if I didnt get an AG spot on application, I'm intending to try and race it anyway.

Great way to look at it and the very best of luck to you Cool
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
Quote:
not sure anyone thinks they are elite...nor is it the equivalent of 'winning' a local footie event...it's the same as every single other event you do in that you are racing everyone else on the start line...

I've spent far more time at running events than triathlons over the years with far greater turnouts for the running events and I've only ever met two athletes who have run for GB. I cant think of any triathlons I've been to where there isn't someone mincing about in their GB trisuit, and this year four athletes from out relatively small local tri-club 'raced for GB'.

So either our local club is a hot-bed of talent or the races are a bit of a joke just to allow people to post on facebook that they are representing GB. Sorry but if you struggle to run much below a 30:00 parkrun you shouldn't be seen as representing your country no matter what age category you are in.....

Sweet....not aware of their back story but I'm sure they all fully deserve your illconsidered contempt

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
maybe the qualification standards need to increase. The winning fella in 45-49 AG at eton qualifier, ( for sprint ITU worlds) ran just over 18mins for 5k with a gradual trickle down towards 20mins for the 10th place. You're potentially considered for roll down if you're with 115% of the winning time.

Maybe the tolerance level needs to be reduced to give qualification more kudos. I guess there is always the risk that this would cull the vast majority and reduce the necessary revenue needed to support British Triathlon.

Indeed you are considered for qualification under 115% but this is rarely sufficient unless the winner is pretty decent, the age group lacks depth or the location/timing makes the event less popular..

explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
Quote:
That's totally disingenuous to the standard required. I raced the ITU Sprint qualifier at Eton Dorney, not with any real intention to qualify as I'm not at that level, but just to compete against some good athletes and see where I stacked up. I ran sub20, broke 1hr10, and only just made the top 30 in my AG. It might not be elite, but the standard is pretty decent for people who are not pro and also have to have a job.

In some AG its reasonably competitive but some AG get places pretty much for turning up as part of the roll down process.

Just looked at the person I was referring to at Dusseldorf and they were over 30 minutes for the run. Looking at the London Marathon results and over a third of the field ran the same pace for an entire marathon in the same Female AG as opposed to running 5 k after a quick swim and bike.

There are some amazing athletes run at these events and I do like to see what people can achieve as an amateur holding down full time jobs as opposed to being a pro athlete as theres something to be said for what people achieve doing their sport as just a hobby but when you have people jumping on the bandwagon also claiming they have achieved a standard where they represent their country it undermines the achievements of others a little I feel.

just had a very quick look at the results and the 'first' GB lady i saw over 30 mins was in the 55-59 cat...the winner had the 5th fastest run split...perhaps she should have only raced against those...

gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
maybe the qualification standards need to increase. The winning fella in 45-49 AG at eton qualifier, ( for sprint ITU worlds) ran just over 18mins for 5k with a gradual trickle down towards 20mins for the 10th place. You're potentially considered for roll down if you're with 115% of the winning time.

Maybe the tolerance level needs to be reduced to give qualification more kudos. I guess there is always the risk that this would cull the vast majority and reduce the necessary revenue needed to support British Triathlon.

See i agree and have do have a lot of respect for the majority of people that qualify - the standards can be very high (but not always). And like i said earlier, they are probably very cool races to go and do, especially if you've had to work very hard to get there.

[b]But[b], for me, there is no need for it to be labelled as representing your country. It can still be a qualifiers only event. It has the exclusivity, or big race feel, or the 'kudos' element, whatever, but you represent yourself/your club. That in itself deserves recognition and is something to be proud of. It might also put off those that want to qualify just to flash their 'GB' kit, or try to blag some free stuff. But i think that, other than for Masters as i think that is a very different argument (though the banding is pretty bunched up in AG tri), the representing GB should be left to those at the top of our sport.
ttowel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Age Group team in expense shocker. Profiteering pure and simple, playing with the snowflake like egos of the people that want to look pro to their mates.

Pay to register an interest to QF, pay to race QF'er, pay once qualified for management fees, pay to enter the race, pay for the trisuit, pay for all the other AG sh!t like tshirts and tracksuits or hoodies that change every season. Boast to uninitiated mongbook fans how you raced for GEEEBEEEE and come 8th ( Brit out of 8 ) at the World Champs (for people not good enough to race pro)...priceless Wink

Cynical?

You forgot the mechanic fee, and the fact that finishing 8th brit out of 8 normally means 8th overall too as no other country gives a toss.
iainm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends who have played for their countries (scotland and australia) at hockey and rugby at masters level and I'm not sure they'd say weren't representing their countries.

re GB age group - it is easier to qualify if you the worlds are in Australia or similar, but generally it's actually quite competitive if you're aged 39-54. Certainly much more so than it was 10 years ago when I qualified in the top 4.. Smile

For 50-54, there were 80 athletes going for 20 places. Maybe some of the women's categories and older/younger men it's easier, but you can't just rock up and qualify these days.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainm wrote:
when I qualified in the top 4.. Smile

You just had to get that one in there, didn't you... Smile
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainm wrote:
I have friends who have played for their countries (scotland and australia) at hockey and rugby at masters level and I'm not sure they'd say weren't representing their countries.

re GB age group - it is easier to qualify if you the worlds are in Australia or similar, but generally it's actually quite competitive if you're aged 39-54. Certainly much more so than it was 10 years ago when I qualified in the top 4.. Smile

For 50-54, there were 80 athletes going for 20 places. Maybe some of the women's categories and older/younger men it's easier, but you can't just rock up and qualify these days.

I think you'll find the male categories in 60-69 are still very competitive so it's not just a given that you'll get a GB place on the numbers game. for females however, 60+ numbers looking to qualify tails off considerably so it becomes less competitive for them.
iainm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, the point that started this off - 300 for a sprint race - now, that is daylight robbery, pure and simple.

For the men, you only walk into the team if you're 70+ (Glasgow ETU Sprint):

and to be fair, it's the same from 65+ for the women:

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainm wrote:
Still, the point that started this off - 300 for a sprint race - now, that is daylight robbery, pure and simple.

For the men, you only walk into the team if you're 70+ (Glasgow ETU Sprint):

and to be fair, it's the same from 65+ for the women:

just working out the qualifiers from Thorpe park now...great racing..

Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

[b]But[b], for me, there is no need for it to be labelled as representing your country. It can still be a qualifiers only event. It has the exclusivity, or big race feel, or the 'kudos' element, whatever, but you represent yourself/your club. That in itself deserves recognition and is something to be proud of. It might also put off those that want to qualify just to flash their 'GB' kit, or try to blag some free stuff. But i think that, other than for Masters as i think that is a very different argument (though the banding is pretty bunched up in AG tri), the representing GB should be left to those at the top of our sport.

Is your animosity only valid for ITU based multisport or does it encompass all manner of Masters' sports like swimming, all types of cycling, tennis, running, Pentathlon-based sports et al? Probably even the farce that is dressage.

There are Masters' world and euro champs in pretty much most sports. People work hard to qualify then get to REPRESENT THEIR COUNTRY.

In all sports there are choppers, as there are in all walks of life and all modes of transport.

AG racing is a well trodden developmental path for some current elites and those that aspire to be. Athletes at the younger end of the AG spectrum may be racing AG as they didn't get the Jnr Elite start they wanted, or they race to gain exposure to continental/world champs standards so they are confident to apply for their first start. There are a multitude of ex-AGers who now race on the IM pro circuit and I can think at least one ex-AG duathlete that raced the 2017 ITU World Cup circuit.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AG racing is a well trodden developmental path for some current elites and those that aspire to be.

plus there is also the opportunity for ex-pros to race AG for their country as a way of continuing to represent their country. 3 ex-pros and elite triathletes raced at the World Finals last weekend in Rotterdam and won their a/g's (as you would expect) - Richard Stannard, GB, Michellie Jones, AUS, and Rob Barel, BEL - might also be some others, but those are the ones I know of.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Quote:
AG racing is a well trodden developmental path for some current elites and those that aspire to be.

plus there is also the opportunity for ex-pros to race AG for their country as a way of continuing to represent their country. 3 ex-pros and elite triathletes raced at the World Finals last weekend in Rotterdam and won their a/g's (as you would expect) - Richard Stannard, GB, Michellie Jones, AUS, and Rob Barel, BEL - might also be some others, but those are the ones I know of.

and you should hear the bickering as a result!!!!

SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

just working out the qualifiers from Thorpe park now...great racing..

M40-44 was a close race 20 seconds between 2nd and 8th
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: