Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stem Length

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Stem Length Reply with quote

I recently transferred all of the components from my Carrera Virago TT to a Litespeed Blade frame I've had stashed away.

I'm really happy with the Litespeed overall but the reach is a little bit longer and despite persevering with it to see if I got used to it, I still find I'm holding the aero bars an inch or so from the end and have to move my hands to change gear.

The bars don't have any adjustment so my only option seems to be a shorter stem. The current one is 115mm so I'm thinking of going to an 80mm stem which will offset the difference in top tube length. (I did consider sawing the ends of the bars off but then the cable holes will be in the wrong place and they're ski bends so not really shortening them)

I've read that the shorter stem might make the handling too twitchy so wondered if anyone had made a similar change or was running a similar stem with tri bars for their experience with it.

Thanks
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 70mm stem on my tri bike. First couple of rides it felt a bit weird but now feels perfectly ok
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm long in leg, short in torso. My old TT bike was too small (short and long) so during the bike fit the fitter swapped the 110m stem for a 90mm jobby. I noticed no difference at all.

115 to 80 is quite a big jump, maybe go to a 90?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: