Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Water on the run
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Water on the run Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm currently training for a half marathon in October.

Building the miles up gradually and my long run is currently 10 miles.

I find I'm getting a bit thirsty around 8 miles. How do you carry water on your runs? I wear a Zone 3 race belt for my phone/keys and this has loops for gels but nothing to attach a bottle.

Current pace is +\- 9 minute miles, so looking at around 2 hours. Race pace will probably be better (I did a recent 10k in 46 minutes).

Cheers
Ross
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always run holding a cycle bottle on my longer runs. I've just got
used to it. Other options are leaving bottles along the route, or planning runs
past shops and stopping to buy some.
I think churches often have a tap outside near the graveyard bit for watering
flowers.
doug

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer having my hands free so run with a bottle belt or small backpack.

Be careful with handhelds, I have seen it really unbalance a runners whole stride, better to run with two small bottles than one big one.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
I prefer having my hands free so run with a bottle belt or small backpack.

Be careful with handhelds, I have seen it really unbalance a runners whole stride, better to run with two small bottles than one big one.

I'm not comfortable holding anything while running, always swapping hands. Bottle belt may be the best option.

"Doonhamer in exile" my mothers side of the family are from Thornhill, love it down there. Been a few years since we've visited, last time was of the Tour of Britain.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't drink anything for runs up to 2 hrs, but i do carry an SIS iso gel and stick some money in my shorts incase i feel the need to stop and buy some water. you'll be surprised what you don't need
Oranj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[hair shirt]I don't take anything to drink for runs up to 2 hours. I drink a pint of water in the hour before I leave the house, which can give you a bit of washing machine belly, but that soon passes. You get a bit thirsty but you won't die of it.[/hair shirt]
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
i don't drink anything for runs up to 2 hrs, but i do carry an SIS iso gel and stick some money in my shorts incase i feel the need to stop and buy some water. you'll be surprised what you don't need

This is what I do in the UK . (doesn't go so well in Oz Wink ). I have a glass of water and a banana for I head out, take a gel or a strip of Shot Blocks just in case. Usually just a gel and a fiver and mostly come home with both intact.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The most I'm going to be out for is 2 hours. As I said training for half marathon in October and the longest tri will be Edinburgh 70.3 next year.

I guess I don't really need any on the run as long as I'm well hydrated before I go, which I am. Just need to take some money then, just in case.

Cheers
Ross
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottles in hand can mess with running form...either pre position a bottle, get a kindly soul to help you out or run loops...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to carry a bottle of water. Rolling Eyes

Something like this...
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 unless its 2 1/2 + I don't take anything. Only if its very hot do I regret It (not very often) but even then its not a problem just a distraction. I think this is probably your issue, letting your mind wander and thinking you need a drink when you don't.

If you are considering drinking Canal water then you probably need a drink (has happened) but other wise just keep going.

On runs that are over 2 1/2 hours I plan a stop and take money or I use a generic camelback system as I'm heading for the hills.
Cen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be odd, I find more than an hour/hour and a half and I definitely have to drink something. That's even when it's not sunny.

For anything longer than an hour and a half I'll either run with a bottle belt (one with little bottles that spaces them evenly around waist) or do loops near home so I can grab a drink I've left out every lap (of an hour or so). For very hot/long runs I'll take the bottle belt and money to buy a top up drink!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess as others have said, you might be OK to not drink, but if you're getting thirsty and feel the need to drink, that's OK too, everyone is different.

I'm a big fan of a smallish bum bag, with a fold-able plastic drink bottle. Easy enough to deal with, and once you're had your drink folds down flat in the bag and therefore no bother to run with.

Just on drinking or not, doesn't it also depends on how quick you're running to some extent? If an easy run means you're doing say 20K in 2 hours, you're not burning as many calories as someone who can do say 26K in 2 hours (for same RPE) and therefore you are generating a lot less heat as a by-product. Therefore the person running 26K might feel the need to take a drink, as they are likely to be sweating more everything else being equal - so not sure there's a one-size fits all here?

Also depends on how many beers you've had the night before obviously Smile
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use a small camelbak with a bladder and drinking tube. Don't like carrying bottles nor do I like the bottles bouncing around on a belt. They do bounce less though at 9min/mile rather than 7min/mile so you may find a belt is not an issue. I find the camelbak very comfy and having the bag means I can also pack some thing extra if I need it - plus I wear it in ultras so it's good to be used to it. I do take some money but I rarely run anywhere there are shops or if they are there, they tend to be shut on Sunday mornings when I do a long run.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sweat like a yak so on long runs in the summer when its hot I take a 1.5lt camelbak

It makes you sweat a bit more having that on your back but its worth it.

Last really long run I did (23k) when it was about 22C I came back and my shirt and shorts were completely soaked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: