Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetsuit advice for newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalbeginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Wetsuit advice for newbie Reply with quote

Hi, so I very much want to do a Tri next year to celebrate turning 40. I am looking at a sprint event as although I can swim have never ventured outdoors (to swim). I am looking at getting a wetsuit but was hoping to get a used suit to start with. I completely appreciate best to try on before buying but when buying used not sure if this is possible? Seen an entry Tri suit on wiggle for around 100 but can't justify that at present as not sure if I will use it after, any recommendations re second hand websites or companies? Thanks all for replies and sorry if this has been posted before, I did have a quick look before posting
Oranj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you do a sprint event with a pool swim? There are quite a few about and that would save you the bother of a wetsuit. Quite a lot of people start in the sport that way, learning to swim open water is yet another skill to master, so maybe best left until you've got one race under your belt.

If you're intent on an open water swim, there used to be companies that hired out triathlon wetsuits, not sure if they still do. (I'm going to sound like a right old git now) 100 gets you a good wetsuit these days, compared to what was available 10 years ago, you would likely be able to sell it on for half the price afterwards if you didn't like it.
totalbeginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Thanks Oranj, yes that's true, there are a few sprint events nearby and I was thinking the same thing re the pool. I suppose I'm expecting having more choice of events and something about swimming open water I would quite like to have a go. It does make more sense to do a pool based one first .

I will have a look at the hire companies, and see if I can buy an ex hire or similar may be my best option. There is no rush though I guess I can keep on checking, i was hoping eBay would have loads of wetsuits on from people upgrading or just don't require anymore but there aren't many ladies suits listed a Tri suits, and bit of a minefield with the different types .
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri UK have a deal where you can hire a wettie for a season I think. Are you only looking at doing one race?
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size are you? I'm just about to offload one for probably cheaper than a seasons hire.
totalbeginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re wetsuit Reply with quote

Haha re more than one, it depends I guess on how it goes. Id like to get into it as I only run at the moment and struggle with it as I'm not a natural runner and don't really enjoy it. Something about mixing up there sports really appeals. Im looking to it as more a fitness thing, with the idea of doing at least one 'event' as a goal.

Re sizes I don't know how it would equate to wetsuit size, from my limited research it seems to vary by brand. I am a medium sized in generic women's sizing. UK dress size 12 . I weigh 64 kg, 164 cm tall.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Re wetsuit Reply with quote

totalbeginner wrote:
Haha re more than one, it depends I guess on how it goes. Id like to get into it as I only run at the moment and struggle with it as I'm not a natural runner and don't really enjoy it. Something about mixing up there sports really appeals. Im looking to it as more a fitness thing, with the idea of doing at least one 'event' as a goal.

Re sizes I don't know how it would equate to wetsuit size, from my limited research it seems to vary by brand. I am a medium sized in generic women's sizing. UK dress size 12 . I weigh 64 kg, 164 cm tall.

My spare is for someone 184cm and 80+kg Laughing
totalbeginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP, gutted that would have been ideal. Thanks for the thought though .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: