Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Masseur in Bunbury, WA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iainm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Masseur in Bunbury, WA Reply with quote

Probably won't affect many people on this forum, but if you happen to be looking for a masseur in Bunbury, WA then don't go to see Astrid Fox-Slater.

I was unlucky enough to be allocated this person after the Bunbury Half Marathon in April. I'd been in good form - run a half marathon PB in Feb and a Good For Age time in a marathon in March. Was looking forward to trying to get a PB in the London Marathon later that month.

Sadly, I never ran VLM as the massage I had from Astrid Fox-Slater was brutal. Despite the fact that I'd literally just crossed the line, she gave me a really tough deep tissue massage. It's probably my fault for not saying anything although I was writhing and screaming in pain - she should have realised.

By the following day I couldn't walk and when I returned to the UK ended up spending a lot of money on physio, missing VLM, and wasn't in any shape for my first triathlons of the season.

I did follow up and ask for at least an apology, but all I received from her was the following comment:

Quote:
I deny any responsibility for his accusation and if he wishes to proceed with any action he will need to provide documented Medical evidence that it was the short massage that caused his issue not his running a marathon after a flight from UK.

Evidently detail is not her thing, as it was a half and I'd already made it clear I'd been in Australia for 9 days on the day of the race.

I've let it go now, but a warning there for others. Be wary about post-race massages...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was spam until I saw your user name Smile Yep, post race massages have always been the light touch in my experience.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks on Transitions might be interested.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine had exactly the same experience after a Half Marathon earlier this year, which he did as part of his VLM training. As a result he was unable to run for about 2 months, and was only running again a couple of weeks ahead of London. he did manage to run VLM, slowly.

I would be really wary of a massage straight after an event - you don't know what quality you will get
iainm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for your pal matt. It's certainly changed my view on any post-race massage - highly unlikely I'll be doing it again, or if I do, then I will have a good chat with them first about their approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: