Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Endurance Road Bike (disc) Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Endurance Road Bike (disc) Recommendations Reply with quote

As per the title really. Looking to rationalise my collection to help fund one of these. Looking at the sportier end of the spectrum here, and possibly with Di2 if there are some killer deals. I want something that will take at least a 28mm tyre (and a bit of trail/rough track riding), with hydraulic discs. So far this is my short list:

Orbea Avant M20i Team 2399 (on offer from 3299) with Di2
Cube Agree Race C:62 Disc with 6800 Ultegra 2399

Obviously the Orbea is looking favourite given the spec, and the shop doing it is only 30 min away, so I can try for size.
Cobbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put a deposit down on a Genesis Datum 20 which meets your spec apart from the Di2 and I guess it's not really all that sporty ... but hey it's carbon and looks lovely Smile

Doing the same thing - one lightweight summer bike and one jack of all trades Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through this exercise last year and my conclusion was, anything robust enough for winter would be a bit of a dog in summer and vice versa. I also wanted guard options.

I looked at Focus Paralane and Cervelo C3/5.

In the end I stuck with my summer bike and winter ti bike,,,,,and then bough a P3 Wink Very Happy

Re Orbea, they seem like ok bikes but the dealers seem to come and go with the wind. If they were a long term Orbea dealer I'd be less wary.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Went to see the Orbea, and it just didn't float my boat in a 'I want to get out & ride it' way...too bland. Cube was visually more appealing. I'm not a massive fan of these massively dropped top-tubes I see nowadays, they're road bikes not MTBs ffs. I guess I'm looking for something as much on looks as spec right now.

I have happened upon the Genesis Datum, looks like a good bike, albeit a tad weighty. The Genesis Vapour CX 30 also looks very nicely finished, a bit lighter and more tradition looking top-tube. Ironically the CX bike has less tyre clearance than the 'all-road' Datum (33 vs 35 mm I think). I need to get to a Genesis dealer to look at these two, and size them up. Has anyone seen the forthcoming Orbea Terra (all road)? Really nice looking bike, and a good choice of colour finishes; I like the blue/red/yellow best.

Given that 2017 bikes are starting to go on sale, I'm keeping my powder dry for now.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean about the MTB look. I don't really like the look of my Bianch Infinito CV but these days I choose the best bike for my back.

I was reading a review of a Bowman Lehman on Cyclingtips last night. I'd never heard of the brand before. Couple of friends I ride with have Genesis bikes, not sure which models but they both say they are very heavy.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/219648-23-2017s-hottest-disc-brake-equipped-road-bikes-%E2%80%94-bikes-vanguard-disc

Are you not a fan of the bigger brands - Specialized/Trek/Giant etc? Prices seem to be getting slashed at the moment. I can see new models being pretty pricey with the exchange rate though.

Corleys (MK) sale on thisSat (19th) at 9am. Usually worth a look if you are in the area.

Trek factory sale must be due soon,but not heard anything yet.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/219648-23-2017s-hottest-disc-brake-equipped-road-bikes-%E2%80%94-bikes-vanguard-disc

Are you not a fan of the bigger brands - Specialized/Trek/Giant etc? Prices seem to be getting slashed at the moment. I can see new models being pretty pricey with the exchange rate though.

Trek factory sale must be due soon,but not heard anything yet.

Love my Trek SC, but all their current disc bikes have external routing on the fork; just looks a bit Halfords. I have looked at the Addict Disc and the Spesh Crux; both appeal in different ways. The Roubaix has that sh!t looking shock absorber on the head tube (below the stem), so you have a shed-load of stack. Had a Giant TCR carbon a few yeats back, but I find the reach on them is a bit long for their size; strange for an Asian brand.

I think if I had the dough, I'd get the Scott Addict Premium - either road disc or gravel. Reality says it won't be those two though.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably won't help but I have the Cube Attain SL Disk for my winter bike and I love it. It has it's own specific mudguards that are almost invisible.
Mine is aluminium, Shimano 105 spec and only cost 875 new.

I'd quite happily buy a top spec Agree or Litening if I had the
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the tyre clearance, but I like the look of the Dolan DR1.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-dr1-carbon-disc-road-bike-shimano-ultegra-di2-hydro.html
redbiker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus Paralane.

We've a test bike if you'd like to try one.

PM me if interested or email.

Cheers
Andy
www.bike-science.com
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the Paralane online. I don't understand why the 'Factory' model at 3199 only has SRAM Apex on it, their 4th-tier group. Yet the Ultegra model is 200 less. Surely Zipp 30 alloy wheels aren't the reason. Seems odd.

There are also far too many monochrome bikes out there now; what's wrong with a splash of colour?!

Last edited by Jorgan on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Tigger

<Avatar not found>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance Road Bike (disc) Recommendations Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
As per the title really. Looking to rationalise my collection to help fund one of these. Looking at the sportier end of the spectrum here, and possibly with Di2 if there are some killer deals. I want something that will take at least a 28mm tyre (and a bit of trail/rough track riding), with hydraulic discs. So far this is my short list:

Orbea Avant M20i Team 2399 (on offer from 3299) with Di2
Cube Agree Race C:62 Disc with 6800 Ultegra 2399

Obviously the Orbea is looking favourite given the spec, and the shop doing it is only 30 min away, so I can try for size.

I bought the M20i after I saw your post. I agree it is a bit bland to look at but I like it a lot to ride. I got a further 5% off the price you mention.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance Road Bike (disc) Recommendations Reply with quote

Tigger wrote:

I bought the M20i after I saw your post. I agree it is a bit bland to look at but I like it a lot to ride. I got a further 5% off the price you mention.

Glad to have been of assistance Very Happy

Like I said above though, there are far too many bland bikes out there now, that are black; the 2018 Cannondale Synapse range is an exemplar. Is this the fault of dandys and their colourful kit, and manufacturers realise they need to make bikes that do not clash with all those trendy jerseys and bright long socks Rolling Eyes
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting any closer to making a decision Jorgan?

Probably too bland.... https://www.merlincycles.com/ktm-revelator-sky-di2-disc-road-bike-2017-104097.html?utm_source=social&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-35
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:
Are you getting any closer to making a decision Jorgan?

Probably too bland.... https://www.merlincycles.com/ktm-revelator-sky-di2-disc-road-bike-2017-104097.html?utm_source=social&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-35

Thanks. Yes still looking on the Internet & Ebay; not rushing into anything. Trying to get to bike shops when I can to check stuff out in the flesh. There's a di2 bike on ebay right now that's staring at 999 and buy it now for 1600; looks very nice. It's an odd fit though and the Medium looks like a BMX frame set to my saddle height (Genesis Datum). Might put in a cheeky bid though, as a mint condition bike with full di2 hydraulic is worth it for 1k, even if I decide to swap the frame in short order.

I also saw the new Orbea Terra at Bike UK yesterday. I had seen it online, and I like it. The sizing is very bizarre: even the Medium seemed a bit large for me, and I'm just under 6' with an inseam of 32". I would go for a Small given it's 'all road' intentions. Great choice of colourful finishes too. I might hang-on for one of these (pre-order at the moment). I had the kids with me though, so not much time to fully look at all the stock they had at the Bristol store (story of my life now Wink ).

Other bikes that have blipped on my radar:

Scott Solace 10 in grey/black/yellow (discontinued by looks of it)
Scott Addict disc 20 (still pricey at the moment)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: