Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Any surfers here, Portugal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Any surfers here, Portugal Reply with quote

I love to surf, admittedly not going on what you what call any regular basis since moving from Oz but Mrs FP is keen for us to on a surfing holiday and get little one on the boards. I know it's not exactly green room season but we are looking at mid Sept (after IM Wales).

Thinking of Portugal, Ericeira region. Anyone been?

this is mainly for Little One, so don't suggest Nazare in Dec Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey brah, what a coincidence Very Happy

Not a surfer, but 2 years ago we went there, stayed in a villa about 10 min from Ericeira (Ribamar). Yes, the place is a surf mecca from what I can tell. Obviously I was peeved as the sea was generally far too rough for OW swimming, or it was simply banned. The only calm beach is the one in Ericeira itself (Praia dos Pescadores), next to the sea wall; best beach for swimming/families. The sea is cold there though, as it's not in the Gulf Stream so I was always covered in goose bumps when I swam in Speedos. There was a beach with a good chill-out bar for a sunset drink, just down the hill from our villa: https://www.playocean.net/portugal/mafra/praias/praia-de-ribeira-d-ilhas

Another real plus is how cheap that area is; it was 1.50 for a beer in a restaurant Cool Eating out much cheaper than the UK. Way cheaper than the Algarve! Tourism wise, Sintra is a must if you have a hire car (which we did for the 2 weeks).
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jorgan, great stuff Cool

I've read that it's cheap, which is good because my contract is ending on Aug 11th and I will become a pro triathlete (less talent, similar income Wink ).

One fly in the ointment is I've noticed that we can't fly to Lisbon from Southampton (we can but it's via Nantes at 5hrs). Can fly to Algarve and looks like a 2hr40 drive. keen to avoid that, so it would be a shlepp to LHR or LGW.

Either that or find a surf destination that we can get to from So'ton (or just leggit to Perranporth Very Happy ).

Little One has her own wettie and rash vest (and zero fear, eek!)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We flew Bristol-Lisbon. When you book a hire car, make sure you research where they operate out of, as our company was a right d1ck dance to get to; long walk to collection point, long wait there, mini bus to rental site and long wait there too Rolling Eyes I will see if I can find out which company it was (via Holiday Autos site). Brother-in-law rented thru another company that did pick-up outside terminal (but wasn't one of the big players).
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
We flew Bristol-Lisbon. When you book a hire car, make sure you research where they operate out of, as our company was a right d1ck dance to get to; long walk to collection point, long wait there, mini bus to rental site and long wait there too Rolling Eyes I will see if I can find out which company it was (via Holiday Autos site). Brother-in-law rented thru another company that did pick-up outside terminal (but wasn't one of the big players).

Cheers mate. yeah I noted that you can fly from Bristol. Mum is in Wells, so could be an option.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done the Perranporth Tri? It's a must do: washing machine swim, hilly & windy bike, and a run up and over the cliff, then along the beach again Twisted Evil One of the tougher short course ones I've done, which also includes Blaenavon Tri & Fowey River Tri.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Have you done the Perranporth Tri? It's a must do: washing machine swim, hilly & windy bike, and a run up and over the cliff, then along the beach again Twisted Evil One of the tougher short course ones I've done, which also includes Blaenavon Tri & Fowey River Tri.

No, wasnt aware there was one. Been surfing there a couple of times (ironically, when over from Oz). that would be a rugged course for sure!
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try another beach i think

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sunbathers-killed-beach-lisbon-portugal-light-aircraft-emergency-landing-latest-updates-a7873786.html
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Morocco? Should be some decent waves there most of the year, warm and cheap?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
What about Morocco? Should be some decent waves there most of the year, warm and cheap?

A friend of mine goes to Dakhla area for surfing and windsurfing.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

I've looked at Mint Surf and Surf Maroc for myself but to be honest, it looks a bit pants for the family once you get outside of the complex. Probably play safe and go to Europe for the family trip.

Of course, there is always Barton Lynch's Perfect Wave gig in the Maldives but that's not really a cost effective option for a guy with no job. Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Biarritz in France, you can get direct flight from Southampton. Surf is not as good as Portugal, but probably better for learning.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
What about Biarritz in France, you can get direct flight from Southampton. Surf is not as good as Portugal, but probably better for learning.

Good point, thanks mate. Hosseger?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yes, Hosseger would be my choice (if you can live with the surf dude culture), as an alternative for a family vacation I would think about Saint-Jean de Luz and surf Lafitenia-Beach

Doesn't seem to be any surf at the moment though

If you go there, check out Arcachon Bay and Cap Ferrat - you can "surf" down Europe's biggest sand dune
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yes, Hosseger would be my choice (if you can live with the surf dude culture), as an alternative for a family vacation I would think about Saint-Jean de Luz and surf Lafitenia-Beach

Doesn't seem to be any surf at the moment though

If you go there, check out Arcachon Bay and Cap Ferrat - you can "surf" down Europe's biggest sand dune
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: