Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Road bike v TT bike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Road bike v TT bike Reply with quote

Apologies in advance for the numpty questions that are about to follow...

I'm considering my first half ironman next year, probably Cotswolds 113. I'm slow, and this will be a once in a lifetime type event for me, if that is relevant.

I have a road bike that I'm fairly comfortable on, but I was reading somewhere on here that a TT bike is much better / will result in a better run / faster etc etc.

So, how much difference does it actually make? Is there any shame in doing a half ironman on a road bike? What about road bike with those clip on bar things? I get quite worried about not being able to get at my brakes if I need to (will be working on bike skills obvs).
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shame at all.

Yes TT bikes are "faster" - but for a one race off I wouldn't bother (unless you are planning on winning it?)

I've done Full Irons on Road bikes. No issues.

Save yourself a pant load of money
buzzing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not planning on winning... my target will be not to come last Very Happy
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive dont half Irons on (back in the day) on steel framed bikes with manual gear changes on the down tube

Use the cash for a training camp somewhere warm Smile
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
No shame at all.

Yes TT bikes are "faster" - but for a one race off I wouldn't bother (unless you are planning on winning it?)

I've done Full Irons on Road bikes. No issues.

Save yourself a pant load of money

WHS^^

For a one-off race not worth the time, effort and money.

I did my first HIM and 2 IM on road bikes with clip-ons.

I think you'll find most people doing this event will have road bikes.
doug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have raced many races on a road bike including several Ironman distance races.

Probably worth investing on a pair of clip on tribars and getting your position "dialled in".
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing to bear in mind is people have a horrible habit of getting hooked...Its always just one!

That said you would be crackers to buy a bike for just one event when you have already got one.

A TT bike will be quicker, but we are not talking a lot, 15-20mins maximum over an HIM and that is being incredibly optimistic.

Race and enjoy on your current bike, and IF you get hooked then think about upgrading for free speed next time.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Road bike v TT bike Reply with quote

buzzing wrote:
...and this will be a once in a lifetime type event for me...

Hahahahaaaa! We'll see about that. Smile

Anyway, as others have said - if you get the bug then consider it. But generally I'd say comfort means a helluwa lot for your run so if you got that then stick to it. It'll take some time to get the body used to a TT position, and be comfortable in it, so better focus your training elsewhere for the first couple of years.

A TT bike when sitting up because you can't hold the low position is far worse than a comfortable position on a road bike.
buzzing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no new bike, got it.

Clip on bars - an investment worth making? And a skill worth learning? Given that I'm very much not going to be at the pointy end, and am currently slightly nervous on my road bike if I don't have ready access to my brakes I am not sure... although I do have a year to learn.

And this is definitely not a slippery slope to becoming a regular event. I *may* do a full ironman as it keeps lingering as a target to achieve before I'm 40 but then it'll be back to the happy world of sprint distances.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice in event. I did the Classic version as my first HIM in 2014.

As others have said, not much point in buying a TT if your current plan is only one race. That said, if you do still plan to do lots of Oly's and non-drafting sprints, it'll still get a lot of use. Since getting mine, I've used it as much if not more than my road bike.

As for clip-on's there are pros and cons. I used them for a while, and it does make you more aero, but there are compromises because of the seat tube angle. You can't really get low without closing off your hip angle excessively, which for a tri can be a real issue come the run. I did use them for the Classic in 2014 though, and ran ok, so as long as you practice and slam the saddle as far forward as it can go, you should be fine.

In terms of TT versus road bike, might be worth a listen to last weeks Oxygen Addict podcast. The interview of the week was with a respected bike fitter.
buzzing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will look it up, cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: