Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Full distance triathlons overseas - NOT Ironman branded
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Full distance triathlons overseas - NOT Ironman branded Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend some full distance triathlons overseas, that aren't too ridiculously hilly and have a good reputation?

Not had a good experience with Ironman unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOADS in France.

The organisers of Tours'n'Man were posting on here. The Loire Valley is ridiculously flat. But next year's event is already sold out.

A very quick search on the FFTri website has 275 events in June. This is for the distances "L", "XL", and "XXL" (half-iron, middle and full iron distance). They don't separate them out in the search but lots out there. "Ironman" isn't the be all and end all in France.

EDIT: Their "interactive" search is rubbish and the filter doesn't work - so maybe not 275 events but there are still a fair few.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
This is for the distances "L", "XL", and "XXL" (half-iron, middle and full iron distance).

What do they class as the difference between half-iron and middle? They're the same thing in my understanding of normal terminology?
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
awildt wrote:
This is for the distances "L", "XL", and "XXL" (half-iron, middle and full iron distance).

What do they class as the difference between half-iron and middle? They're the same thing in my understanding of normal terminology?

Half iron = 1.9km, 80 (or 90), 21.1
Middle = 3km, 80km, 20km (twice the distance of Olympic)

They seem to have variations on that a little bit but that's broadly what it covers.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Full distance triathlons overseas - NOT Ironman branded Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Can anyone recommend some full distance triathlons overseas, that aren't too ridiculously hilly and have a good reputation?

Not had a good experience with Ironman unfortunately.

Is Challenge OK or are you looking for unbranded / small brand races? Not that I have experience of either.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here,

https://www.k226.com/events/events.aspx

Jeff
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to all types of races, just not Ironman branded. Good atmosphere would be excellent, so this leans towards the larger races. Flat or undulating bike/run course is OK but not mountainous bike as I'm a weed.

Will Google triathlons in France and see what comes up. Thank you, but any races that you have had good experiences of please let me know.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is New Zealand a bit too far? Challenge Wanaka is an amazing race that should be on every triathletes bucket list. It's a pity it's just so far from anywhere Shocked
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was wrong with your Ironman experience?

Just interested, not trying to change your mind or anything, it's just not something I have heard before, normally Ironman is a very good experience, you just have to pay through the nose for it. You have mentioned it twice so I know really you want to vent about it Laughing

Interesting thread however, I love racing abroad, just finding the £££ commitment to much ATM so some cheaper interesting events would be great.
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Mike wrote:
Is New Zealand a bit too far? Challenge Wanaka is an amazing race that should be on every triathletes bucket list. It's a pity it's just so far from anywhere Shocked

As much as Australia and NZ would be amazing, I'm looking at races closer to home in Europe.
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roth? (Full for next year)

Challenge have a few European races - but as previously stated - look on k226
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israman in Eilat is great and not too far away. Jan though, so you have to be committed to do the bike training. Smallish but better for it.

Ibiza is also great. Usually Oct. Next year is ETU middle distance though, so you would have to qualify to do it.
sjh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve just found this:
Chtriman gravelines.
Race weekend 2nd July, up to full distance and only 15 min from Calais and under £200!
They seem to have had some kind of french champs there in the past. Looks promising
Looks flat with a hill
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjh wrote:
Iíve just found this:
Chtriman gravelines.
Race weekend 2nd July, up to full distance and only 15 min from Calais and under £200!
They seem to have had some kind of french champs there in the past. Looks promising
Looks flat with a hill

Yes they used to hold the French long distance champs there for a few years. Can't remember where it is now. Gravelines is a great tri club that is well funded by EdF as they have a nuclear power station there. So the race is also well funded.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a note to enter Roth in December when a few more places become available. I know how difficult it is to get into this race and sells out in minutes!

Will take a look at the other events. I'm intrigued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: