Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
RIP Ironman70.3 Edinburgh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: RIP Ironman70.3 Edinburgh Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46032194
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame seeing this go. Not enough publicity? Lack of big name pros?

Good to see that Aberfeldy has the British National Championships in 2019. Great event.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the entry levels like? Did it tend to fill, or not really?

I'm not sure how much difference the presence of big name pros makes to entry levels. The UK events don't tend to attract many big names and most of the entrants probably wouldn't know who they were even if they did Wink
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a few pro's this year, ok, maybe not the likes of Frodo & Ryf but some decent ones in both races.

There was only about 900 finishers though and IM are only really interested in events that have 2000+ entrants and draft fests.

Probably a similar reason that IM Maastricht has been binned.

A couple of logistical things probably didn't help either.

Cold\choppy sea swim, with split transitions.
Bike course was a mixed bag, a lot nice but some twisty descents, and about 1000M climbing. There was also a bit in the last 10 miles heading into town that really wasn't great going through estates and speed bumps etc.,

I liked the run even though it was 3 laps and a bit repetitive.

I'm not sure a lot of people want undulating courses, possibly why Wimbleball also got binned.

I've never really been interested in Staffs though

Jeff
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame! Sad
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame itís been cancelled, I had planned to do it one day, mainly because I live a 5 minute walk from the finish. Maybe itís because itís my local roads but I didnít think the course was the most inspiring. There are certainly better ones out there. But it was probably as good as Edinburgh had to offer. The lap of Arthurs seat at the end was a bit evil.

Edinburgh has a bit of a history with events being around for a couple of years and then folding. I think organisers think itís a great tourist destination so will attract lots of entrants, but for some reason it doesnít. Maybe itís the weather.

I am sort of planning a return to Triathlon next year with a half, and I was going to pick Aberfeldy over this despite itís logistical challenges

So many races so little time.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
The lap of Arthurs seat at the end was a bit evil.
dammit!! Double shame!
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
Shame itís been cancelled, I had planned to do it one day, mainly because I live a 5 minute walk from the finish. Maybe itís because itís my local roads but I didnít think the course was the most inspiring. There are certainly better ones out there. But it was probably as good as Edinburgh had to offer. The lap of Arthurs seat at the end was a bit evil.

Edinburgh has a bit of a history with events being around for a couple of years and then folding. I think organisers think itís a great tourist destination so will attract lots of entrants, but for some reason it doesnít. Maybe itís the weather.

I am sort of planning a return to Triathlon next year with a half, and I was going to pick Aberfeldy over this despite itís logistical challenges

Can highly recommend Aberfeldy.

We've been visiting Kenmore for 30 years, so didn't really see the logistics as a challenge. Booked a lodge for a long weekend so we had one of our normal mini breaks with the triathlon in the middle.

The course is beautiful, the two brutal climbs on the bike not so!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Shame seeing this go. Not enough publicity? Lack of big name pros?

Good to see that Aberfeldy has the British National Championships in 2019. Great event.

A bit like Scottish skiing, I think that an event in Edinburgh will be looked at through rose tinted spectacles by those who think it's a good idea and an attitude of 'why on earth would bother with that' by everyone else (the majority.)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you have to ask why those of us who never did it, weren't interested and you have your answer.

Travel and Cost for me. Edinburgh wasn't attractive enough for me to pay the branded 70.3 entry fee, plus associated travel/accommodation. Didn't have anything to do with the course.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Travel and Cost for me. Edinburgh wasn't attractive enough for me to pay the branded 70.3 entry fee, plus associated travel/accommodation. Didn't have anything to do with the course.

Same, although it would be a more attractive destination than Staffs and Weymouth if I was looking for a UK branded. The cost of branded entry is so high that I would probably consider a European destination event to make a proper holiday of it, don't see the reason to go branded in the UK.
Toyota_Crown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and shame that it might have led into a full distance IM tho?

So is Edinburgh's loss going to be Glasgow's gain? With the commonwealths and Euro champs and stuff recently held there, it's got plenty of sporting kudos going for it. And there must be a number of suitable locations. It's huge!
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the same geography for Glasgow, quite remote with smaller number of people living within 2-3 hours, meaning has to be seen as a destination race rather than convenient. Only reason Iíve gone branded next year is because Iíll live within one hour of Bolton for the next two years, so wanted to do it once while in the NW.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
don't see the reason to go branded in the UK.

Should probably clarify - for a half. There are plenty of good alternatives in the UK, so no need to travel and pay the expense for IM. For a full, the choice is more limited, especially if looking for a big race feel.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I can't really get excited about paying WTC money for events on UK roads; not only are they familiar, they are also shocking. If I pay £450, I'd rather it was on 100% closed glass-smooth tarmac roads. Plus nothing in the UK is really destination enough for a big entry fee imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: