Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
nEverest report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: nEverest report Reply with quote

On Saturday, I did my first Everester event, the Summits for hope nEverest https://www.summits4hope.ch/neverest-2018

The Event takes cyclists on a 16.7km (10.4 mile) loop, over Buchenegg peak and then over the Albis pass. Each loop has 460m (1509ft) climbing. The aim is to complete 20 laps, 334km and 9200m (208 mile and 30184ft) climbing, within the cutoff time of 18 hours. In 4 years that it has run, the challenge has previously only been completed once, yesterday, I became the second ever person to complete the challenge, in 17h50m

The event attracts around 250 people, and is designed as a "fun" intro to triathlon, with running, cycling and swimming activities, but the centerpiece is the nEverest Challenge. At midnight on Saturday, in torrential rain,10 atheletes, including Hans Martin, a local ultra endurance athlete the only person to complete nEverest and my good friend Kai Sikorski, an ex professional Triathlete (and the person who got me into this in the first place). The first 2 laps were fast, much too fast, I was using much more power on the climbs than my plan, so I decided to let them all go, stick to my plan, and come into the "barn" for my first planned nutrition stop. My plan was pretty simple: take 1 water bottle with isotonic energy mix, and swap it out each lap, then stop for 5 minutes each second lap for solid food and a stretch. In terms of riding, keep power on climbs around 200W and coast the descents

It was a lonely ride, I was on my own for many hours, soaking wet in the rain, luckily not cold so I was warm enough in my winter cycling kit. What I did not plan for were the descents, the tops of the peaks were in thick cloud (and rain), visibility was probably 200 feet and the descent from Bucheregg was steep (14%), and one of the most technical I have ever ridden, with a series of switchbacks. Even the descent from Albis, that I know well was hard. My lap times were really slow as I was losing time of the descents.

By lap 10, I was over 30 minutes behind the leading group of riders, by lap 12 I was in the lead. My plan worked almost faultlessly, I had fatigue in my legs, but was able to manage it, never did I feel that my energy levels had dropped off, and I was stopping to pee roughly every 3 laps, so knew my hydration was right. I did have to modify my plan a little, due to being slower than I expected, I would have run out of time, so I did 2 banks of 3 laps without break, and took gels on the bike.

This was without doubt that hardest event I have ever done, both physically and mentally (the weather did not help). On paper, it may appear easy, however the 18 hour was miles harder than I expected

Looking at my power, I am really please, AP of 157W, NP 189W with and Average HR of 134bpm.

Non of the others managed the full 20 laps, Kai managed 18, and one other person decided to continue to finish his last 3 after the cutoff time... no idea how he got on as he had just done 17 laps by 18:00
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Sounds like you nailed the plan, well done.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really amazing - well done !
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding some details

I had less than 1 hour break in total, the rest of the time I was riding
Hot Bouillion, bread and butter are great to keep you going
Freshly made Double Espresso at every stop is more than just a luxury
Eat savoury snacks, Banana, dates, cakes and jelly babies
9200m is a lot of climbing in 18 hours, it is not a gentle ride
The mental challenge is at least as great as the physical challenge
It's not something I want to do again
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Just adding some details

I had less than 1 hour break in total, the rest of the time I was riding
Hot Bouillion, bread and butter are great to keep you going
Freshly made Double Espresso at every stop is more than just a luxury
Eat savoury snacks, Banana, dates, cakes and jelly babies
9200m is a lot of climbing in 18 hours, it is not a gentle ride
The mental challenge is at least as great as the physical challenge

Well done Matt, soiunds like an epic little event and you managed everything perfectly. I mean 10 mins to spare, that's awesome!!
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Whateva. We'll ask again in 5-6 months. Smile

Well done, massive achievement and it just shows the value of executing YOUR plan rather than following the crowd.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's seriously impressive. Well done!
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
That's seriously impressive. Well done!

What he said, with bells on Exclamation
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grudgingly impressed Smile
Must have been the excellent counsel received on the other thread.

Wise to pace it back on the first laps... and only being 30mins behind at around 100miles shows quite how much too fast they went out.

I'm not a great climber lately but did around that distance recently with around half the climbing in 15hrs, and a lot more stationary time... so you did well to keep in the cut off and minimise stationary time.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Grudgingly impressed Smile
Must have been the excellent counsel received on the other thread.

Wise to pace it back on the first laps... and only being 30mins behind at around 100miles shows quite how much too fast they went out.

I'm not a great climber lately but did around that distance recently with around half the climbing in 15hrs, and a lot more stationary time... so you did well to keep in the cut off and minimise stationary time.

Thanks, and the advice on the other thread was extremely useful. There are some really experienced people here who do know their stuff when it comes to long distances

For some reason, when I entered, I didn't really think about it, or consider that it may be hard (extreme naivety on my part)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid effort Matt, but yeah, disappointed you didn't dedicate your success to the sterling advice provided from the sages of TT Wink Very Happy

Impressed by the lack of 'down time'. Was it a case of keeping going to keep warm in that weather?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Solid effort Matt, but yeah, disappointed you didn't dedicate your success to the sterling advice provided from the sages of TT Wink Very Happy

Impressed by the lack of 'down time'. Was it a case of keeping going to keep warm in that weather?

Lack of downtime was due to constant pressure of not finishing on time - my plan was to do each lap in 47mins, however, I was taking 52 mins per lap. I tried to increase pace, and take a 10 minute break, rather than 5 mins, however, it took too much out of my legs. I found that I had plenty of time to do mental maths while riding, so realised very early on how tight the time was. I completed 10 laps at 09:02, so knew I needed a small negative split for the final 10, which was extremely depressing at the time

I got into a rhythm and just went with it, working out what I needed to do on each lap

Luckily, despite the rain, it wasn't really too cold. I wore my winter shoes and thermal clothing, which kept me at a comfortable temperature throughout.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb work, well paced and judged.

In my experience 'never again's last about 2 years - gap between my first IM and the 2nd, also the first 12hr TT and second, so 2020....Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: