Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Triathlon Plus finished
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Triathlon Plus finished Reply with quote

OK it wasn't very good (putting it mildly) but I bought it now and then to read on the train. The last copy I bought said it was the last one. I guess they've gone online only or gone altogether?
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, bought it fairly infrequently. Picked this one up and realised it was the last one. For once it actually looks quite good.

I know magazines, newspapers etc are feeling the pressure due to online content, but I still really prefer them. Get 3 every month on subscription.

Same with books, I've got a Kindle with loads of books on it, use it every day. Still much prefer "proper books" and still buy them.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still subscribe to Pro Cycling which I think is very good. Probably wouldn't bother though if it was online only. I got rid of Triathlete Europe once it went online. That was ok but did start to go backwards and become more "220" towards the end
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything good out there right now?

Had a 220 subscription to get a transition bag. Read it a bit because it was there, but rinse and repeat stories seems the way to go.

Only worthwhile mag I read was actually a 220 "Performance Issue" with nothing but fairly good technique tips and training plans. Series didn't last long though it seems (too geeky I guess).
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to read Cyclist a bit but they don't seem to be able to grasp the difference between a sportive and a race, plus I'm pretty sure Stu Bowers is a guy I'd cross the road for in order to happy slap. Cool
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife bought me a subscription to 220. Still enjoy it every month but that's possibly because I'm fairly new to the sport and it's all still fresh to me.

I'm still working my way through all the old training posts on here Very Happy
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Wife bought me a subscription to 220. Still enjoy it every month but that's possibly because I'm fairly new to the sport and it's all still fresh to me.

I did the 5 for 5 months deal and cancelled. It's ok but was clear they just repeat articles/topics over and over.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

You are not a real triathlete until you've cancelled a sub to 220 Wink
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

What? Really? Oh no!

Triathlon related printed matter will I read instead? There may be no hope for me!
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

What? Really? Oh no!

Triathlon related printed matter will I read instead? There may be no hope for me!

Ultra...great mag, although that EJC sometimes rambles on a bit Wink (his two articles i read were excellent I might add)
sully

Location: Manchester (for 7+ years) ... far away from sunny Qatar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too started on 220, then cancelled after about 2 years (same articles with a diff photo) & moved up to Triathlete Europe, more in depth etc.
Living overseas it was an easy read & wealth of info ...when the internet was "down"
But than then was discontinued Sad
Occasionally buy a tri /cycling mag at the airport ... Wink
2010 July: IM CH 14:49. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, AbuDhabi Short. 2014 Outlaw 13:43 Smile
2015 Abu Dhabi Maxi, Doha Pearl Oly, Tameside XL
2016 Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly
2017 Windy Hill Fell, Saddlesworth Tri, Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly, Zurich 5150
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

What? Really? Oh no!

Ultra...great mag, although that EJC sometimes rambles on a bit Wink (his two articles i read were excellent I might add)

so you bl00dy should Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I used to read Cyclist a bit but they don't seem to be able to grasp the difference between a sportive and a race, plus I'm pretty sure Stu Bowers is a guy I'd cross the road for in order to happy slap. Cool

...and I'm back in the room.

I bought Cyclist to take on holiday. Tbh I find it decent enough holiday reading, and better than the Tri mags. This month's had some gravel adventures on there inc Mauna Kea & Dolomites, and I found those interesting.

I know what you mean about Bowers. I studied the Dolomites article pics, and he must have stopped to change kit several times Rolling Eyes I'm not into this sock thing either.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

...and I'm back in the room.

I bought Cyclist to take on holiday. Tbh I find it decent enough holiday reading, and better than the Tri mags. This month's had some gravel adventures on there inc Mauna Kea & Dolomites, and I found those interesting.

I know what you mean about Bowers. I studied the Dolomites article pics, and he must have stopped to change kit several times Rolling Eyes I'm not into this sock thing either.

Interesting about the Dolomires, as I'm considering a camp there next year, all being well. Not buying any mag right now as I'm currently a pro triathlete ( less talent, same income Very Happy )

Re Bowers, from what I can gather, he was a pretty gun mtber but he's way out of his depth when it comes to trying to explain some of the finer points of road equipment and his his 'knowledge' of road racing history is an error filled laugh fest.

I met two of the freelance guys for Cyclist a few years ago on a camp in Mallorca ( Marc Bailey and another that I forget). They were nice guys. I did tell them too stop crashing if they wanted to be taken seriously Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ the Dolomites ride was mainly tarmac, with a bit of gravel trail over the tops. One pic shows them going over quite big sharp stones, which in my experience is pinch-flat central on skinny road/cx tyres if you're going downhill (admittedly they were climbing).

It looked amazing riding territory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: