Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rapha sold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Rapha sold Reply with quote

Just in case it wasn't expensive enough, Rapha now has a new top level of venture capitalist owners to support, who have just bought the brand for a reported 200M. Can't see that particularly improving the quality or value.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good kit, but is at the top end of the price scale, I tend to only buy stuff in the sales (which is on now!)

Jeff
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how a clothing company with annual profits of 1m can be worth 200m, but I'm sure the private equity investors bidding for it did their due diligence and are confident that they can expand the brand and improve profitability. Rolling Eyes
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I'm not sure how a clothing company with annual profits of 1m can be worth 200m, but I'm sure the private equity investors bidding for it did their due diligence and are confident that they can expand the brand and improve profitability. Rolling Eyes

So the old 10 years profit rule wasn't followed here and someone needs to recoup their investment? I fully expect the VCs to outsource manufacturing to the lowest cost location and ramp up sales. Expect a steep decline in the brand after that.

They would have been better off buying Neymar and keeping 2 mil in change.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
I fully expect the VCs to outsource manufacturing to the lowest cost location and ramp up sales. Expect a steep decline in the brand after that.

Isn't most of their kit already made in China?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll probably use the same factory that Ironman do for their rucksacks Wink
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread on Slowtwitch about this.

Seems the heirs to the Walmart fortune are keen mountain bikers/cyclists and have put 13 million into building local trails.

Maybe they won't be looking to dilute the quality of the brand after all.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stopped racing in team kit that was plastered in logos from companies I'd never heard of selling stuff I'd never buy, I was quite glad of the Rapha look. It was refreshing and simple and took a lot of washing abuse and it was nice to spend my money on an English brand.

I don't get the hate for the brand, it's nowhere near the dearest stuff out there and I'm not ashamed to say I like the stuff, even though I know it's popular to jump on the reverse snob band wagon. I've been cycling a very long time and most of the hate comments seem to come from relative newbies.

Having said that, I think they lost their way somewhere along the same time they got into sponsoring Sky. I'm an old Imperial Club member and still have the gear that qualified me for that, as it just lasts and lasts. However when I did my last survey a few years ago, I said that they no longer had the look and feel of the brand that got me to part with my money in the first place.

Too many lines, too diverse, confusing fit and definitely a drop in quality. Also the whole shipping costs thing was a kick in the nuts. Those Lightweight bibs really do take some beating though.

It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few brands do windstopper jerseys now, and I think they are great in this country; I wear my Gore Oxygen jersey from October right through to late Spring; just add a baselayer for winter & some Assos roubaix arm warmers, unless it's particularly bad weather.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Quite a few brands do windstopper jerseys now, and I think they are great in this country; I wear my Gore Oxygen jersey from October right through to late Spring; just add a baselayer for winter & some Assos roubaix arm warmers, unless it's particularly bad weather.

I really like Gore gear but they seemed to be sized for people built like a spider Sad
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I really like Gore gear but they seemed to be sized for people built like a spider Sad

A spider with a belly apparently, after being on holiday Very Happy

The other jersey in this genre that's piquing my interest is the Castelli Perfetto light; a little more 'heavy' than the Oxygen as all the panels are windstopper I think, as opposed to 'selective' on the Gore. Really like the Gabba too, but I think that's a bit thick for me, certainly for a mild UK winter.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

What, like cyclists Razz
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

A spider with a belly apparently, after being on holiday Very Happy

The other jersey in this genre that's piquing my interest is the Castelli Perfetto light; a little more 'heavy' than the Oxygen as all the panels are windstopper I think, as opposed to 'selective' on the Gore. Really like the Gabba too, but I think that's a bit thick for me, certainly for a mild UK winter.

I find Castelli even more of a "challenging" fit than Gore, obviously made for teeny Italian pro cyclists!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

I find Castelli even more of a "challenging" fit than Gore, obviously made for teeny Italian pro cyclists!

Yeah, definitely a try before you buy, or you have to know your Castelli size. I'm a Large in the Sanremo Sleeved suit & Perfetto jersey, but the Medium seemed better for a 'race fit' with the Gabba. The issue I find is that the shorts are also a bit short on the Sanremo, I wasn't aware Italians had short legs for their height? Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
FatPom wrote:

What, like cyclists Razz

Not sure where I wrote 'thin people' perhaps point that put? What I meant was that Gore products seem to be disproportionally long in the limb for a given size. So again, like spiders. Let me know when you've got it. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: