Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Vichy - I am finally excited
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
bespoke wrote:
Standard of the Euro athletes is astonishing - in 40-44 age group 4 people broke 9 hrs
How do you run a 3.01 in that heat?!

Dunno about Vichy, but after Barcelona last year my answer would be 'by soft tapping the bike in a large peleton'

Other factors also spring cynically to mind. Unless they're ex-pros, for four 'vets' to go that fast in those conditions, sans wetsuit.... is pretty 'extraordinary'.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
bespoke wrote:
Standard of the Euro athletes is astonishing - in 40-44 age group 4 people broke 9 hrs

Dunno about Vichy, but after Barcelona last year my answer would be 'by soft tapping the bike in a large peleton'

Other factors also spring cynically to mind. Unless they're ex-pros, for four 'vets' to go that fast in those conditions, sans wetsuit.... is pretty 'extraordinary'.

You cynic you. I am inclined to agree.

However I have two good friends who could do that. They are both ex GB lightweight rowers, one of them has one a few medals from important competitions. They have m a s s i v e engines.
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
bespoke wrote:

You cynic you. I am inclined to agree.

However I have two good friends who could do that. They are both ex GB lightweight rowers, one of them has one a few medals from important competitions. They have m a s s i v e engines.

Mmmm I'm not sure immediately being a cynic is the right path to take here.

The standard of French amateur sport is good. It's good for a number of reasons. Firstly they're not arrogant numpT's that take themselves too seriously. I gave up on triathlons in the UK because of this - sweeping generalisation I know, but after the friendly, down to earth, French tri community, I can't handle the egotistical, self-obsessed UK tri community.

Slaughter me for those comments but it's my opinion. Still on the forum cos it gives me a good giggle as more fall under the "Ironman" spell. Sadly the arrogant strut their stuff so it's what you immediately see, and you don't see the normal people - apologies to them.

The other factors at play for the French is better training conditions, from weather to infrastructure. It is incredible what you get for your money when joining a tri club there and the conditions you train in are fantastic all year round. The work-life balance is also considerably better, allowing for proper dedicated training. So anyone in younger life with a reasonably good standard can maintain it all through their life.

Professional sport in France is mixed. I do think they are incredibly hypocritical in their condemnation of dopers of other countries pro ranks. They are most definitely not entirely innocent.
bespoke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan - you thinking drafting, or doping?

Ps the AG winner was an ex Pro; came as high as 4th in IM Nice Pros
So I dont feel thats very fair !

Also - these Belgian boys can ride a bike !!!!

Lastly - heat does not seem to bother them
I do feel Brits going over to take on the locals in their own conditions is asking for it....its fun trying though !
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top guys were mainly Belgian Smile

awildt wrote:
I can't handle the egotistical, self-obsessed UK tri community.

Slaughter me for those comments but it's my opinion. Still on the forum cos it gives me a good giggle as more fall under the "Ironman" spell. Sadly the arrogant strut their stuff so it's what you immediately see, and you don't see the normal people - apologies to them.

I wouldn't disagree with that observation, but of course like most things in life, they are the vocal minority; you will always get the 'peacocks'. Don't go onto The Ironman Journey group on FB then, full of 'look at me' types Wink When I lived in Germany, I didn't really see many Mdot tattoos.

It is a shame that many grass roots and non-standard events have died as a result of brand power and apparent need to get that tattoo, but there you go. We digress.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bespoke wrote:
Jorgan - you thinking drafting, or doping?

When looking at the overall picture (not individuals) a little of everything, as we know cheating of various types goes on regularly; systemically in the case of drafting at certain events. You can pretty much dope with impunity in our sport as an amateur, and I would wager I have been tested more than many pros in recent years (through my work). So at least you know my medocrity is clean Wink

More digression.
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
The top guys were mainly Belgian Smile

awildt wrote:
I can't handle the egotistical, self-obsessed UK tri community.

I wouldn't disagree with that observation, but of course like most things in life, they are the vocal minority; you will always get the 'peacocks'. Don't go onto The Ironman Journey group on FB then, full of 'look at me' types Wink When I lived in Germany, I didn't really see many Mdot tattoos.

It is a shame that many grass roots and non-standard events have died as a result of brand power and apparent need to get that tattoo, but there you go. We digress.

I did join the group for a laugh. I didn't last long. It nearly killed me. I didn't laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: