Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Boardman tt/tri bikes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Boardman tt/tri bikes Reply with quote

What are peoples views/exeriences? I hear so many different views ranging from those who love them and rate them to those who think they are overpriced garbage...
Miketri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 9.8 Road as a frame and built it up, think its fantastic and does all I ask, its about 4 years old now and is also my winter bike.

Then got a 9.8 TT as a frame again and built up, its done 4 IM's and travelled all over, no complaints at all.

IMUK 14, IM Lanza 16, Outlaw Half 13/14, Wimbleball 14, Barca 70.3 15, IM Staffs 70.3 15, Manchester Marathon x3, ToughGuy
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has called them overpriced garbage.
The performance range (mainly from Halfords) are great value for money,
But are let down by being sold by Halfords.
My local bike shop is a Boardman "Gold" dealer, so they stock the Elite
Range, which are around Cervelo/Canyon level bikes but much cheaper and better spec. I got a road SLS 9.2 a couple of years ago, and it's been great.
The downside is they moved to an online model like Canyon, so cut the prices
And dealer margin so shops don't stock them so much.
kevb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a review in 'Cyclist' I think of the 9.8AiR and based on components alone it was over-priced; you could by the frame and build it up cheaper to the same spec.

My first road bike was a Boardman Comp in 2010, very responsive handling, but also a bit on the harsh side. the new paint on the higher end models looks very classy
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you built bikes up from frames, as I thought it was the level of kit provided at the price point that made them such good value. Not that the frames are bad.

I had one of the original CX bikes on a Halfords bike2work and it was great. Maybe got lucky with the Halfords branch that built it up, but it just worked, was solid yet light and responsive. The Cannondale that replaced it after it was stolen is heavy and sluggish by comparison.

On that basis I had no hesitation in getting a Boardman TT bike, with a fit from one of their LBS dealers. Again it has been solid and dependable as well as fun to ride. Only problem in 4 years has been an internal gear cable corroding and seizing. LBS managed to replace it, only for the same thing to happen in <1yr. Contacted Boardman, despite it being out of warranty they took the bike, gave it a full service and replaced the cable again - all for the cost of a cable and shipping.

From the offers on ex-display bikes at the moment, they must be due to refresh the range. The company has gone through a few changes of ownership in the last few years so it will be interesting to see how the new bikes compare.

--
leahnp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 9.8Air and for me the frame only option worked out best because I already had nice wheels. I could source a groupset, saddle and stem/bars and the price wise it was spot on.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Halfords connection will forever blight Boardman; with many keen cyclists at least.

I have an old 2011 Team CX I got as an insurance replacement; very solid reliable bike, although very heavy imho. My only complaint was the back wheel where spokes kept going; I am now on my 3rd back wheel on that bike due to spokes, funny old thing the Aksium on there now is bombproof.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
... an internal gear cable corroding and seizing. LBS managed to replace it, only for the same thing to happen in <1yr.

--

Am I the only person who greases all my cables with waterproof anti-corrosion grease?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
... an internal gear cable corroding and seizing. LBS managed to replace it, only for the same thing to happen in <1yr.

--

Am I the only person who greases all my cables with waterproof anti-corrosion grease?

My internally routed frames put the whole cable & housing through the frame, so no need for that. In fact in the Trek SC they just go through the hollow downtube, and rattle about on UK roads as a result!
Scoobers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Boardman Team Carbon road bike for my daughter. I couldn't find anything near it spec wise for the RRP (1000), ended up paying 720 as it was on offer and with BC discount.
We got it from Cycle Republic, Fenchurch Street, best service I have ever received from a bike shop and wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies.

What would views be on the following:

Boardman TTE 9.3 Di2 Ultegra upgrade
Speed Concept 7.5 Ultegra Di2 (built with 2018 components & frame once released)

Given a contact, price is very similar.... both bikes suit my fit etc...
leahnp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed concept
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Concept
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P2 Di2
https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cervelo/P2-Ultegra-Di2-Triathlon-Bike-2017/EZAD?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9iV2ojt1QIVqbvtCh0oDAbIEAYYASABEgI9MPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: