Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Killer cyclist on trial for manslaughter
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Killer cyclist on trial for manslaughter Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40927791

This story was briefly on the news last night. It sounds like the pedestrian stepped out in front of the cyclist, froze when he shouted and he hit her. All stuff that happens all the time if you are commuting by bike in London. 20mph doesn't sound that fast, but maybe the other traffic was stationary.

The basis of the prosecution seems to be the fact that the cyclist was riding a track bike with no brakes Shocked I'm always amazed by the number of people that seem to think that it's a good idea to ride a bike with no brakes on a busy road where you are likely to need to stop suddenly.

I guess it's up to the jury here to decide whether the cyclist would have been able to stop in time, or at least take some more speed off, if he'd had proper brakes.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Killer cyclist on trial for manslaughter Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
riding a track bike with no brakes

complete bell end: looks cool and trendy until this happens.
Nick Berry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There but for the grace...

A couple of years ago I was doing a local sprint tri. There's a long fast descent and then the road levels out as it enters town & T2. Don't know what speed I was doing as I entered town, but I was giving it some (it's a race) & still had plenty of momentum from the hill. I would guess 25mph but it could have been 27, 28.

A smartly dressed woman stepped sharply out into my path from behind a parked car, with a small child in each hand. I think she was distracted by talking to someone on the other side of the road & had not registered a cyclist at all.

Tell you, my heart nearly stopped. They were directly in front of me on a collision course. I was hunched down on the tri bars and had no time to brake, my hands were nowhere near enough to the brakes. All I could do was shout "NO!" and she kind of froze. Instinct made me throw my weight to the right, jerking the bike away into the centre of the road. Thankfully they remained rooted the spot and I missed them by maybe 30 cm.

I still shiver to think how it could have gone, if they had taken one more step or jumped forward to try and get out of my way, I could well have killed or injured one them.

Take care out there people, it is only a bit of fun on a Sunday morning.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us have probably had similar near misses. mine was when someone just stepped off the pavement in front of me ready to cross the road.
I couldn't veer right as I had a car on my shoulder, so went left, hit the kerb and landed on the pavement smacking my head heavily (had a lid on!). the pedestrian didn't even stop for me - completely bloody oblivious to everything.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the whole manslaughter charge rely on the fact he had no brakes and a fixed gear i.e. a bike not 'legal' for use on the public highway?
Symes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the cool look going to the track many years ago until a near miss with a truck, shoved front brake and a bmx brake lever on after that.

Whichever way this goes I'm sure we'll have the anti-bike lobby pushing for an MoT style test of roadworthiness, insurance and the old favourite road tax (sic)

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Does the whole manslaughter charge rely on the fact he had no brakes and a fixed gear i.e. a bike not 'legal' for use on the public highway?

It seems to.

The cyclist was riding on the road, on a green light. The pedestrian had chosen to step into the road, even though there was a crossing that she could have used only 10m away from her. 18mph doesn't seem like an excessive speed for the cyclist to be travelling.

The accident investigator has some how concluded that the cyclist would have been able to stop in time if he'd had a front brake fitted to his bike, although I'm not sure what testing he's done to come to that conclusion. In those circumstances you don't have much time to react, so even with brakes he might not have been able to avoid a collision.

As a regular London commuter for nearly 20 years, I've had lots of near misses with pedestrians and one or two collisions. Lots of people seem to step off the curb and then look to see if anything is coming. Passing stationary traffic on a bus or bike lane is always "interesting" when you have people emerging from between vehicles Shocked
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
As a regular London commuter for nearly 20 years, I've had lots of near misses with pedestrians and one or two collisions. Lots of people seem to step off the curb and then look to see if anything is coming. Passing stationary traffic on a bus or bike lane is always "interesting" when you have people emerging from between vehicles Shocked

Which might suggest that 18mph is excessive for the prevailing conditions?
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see how the sentencing compares to a driver taking out a cyclist.....
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Will be interesting to see how the sentencing compares to a driver taking out a cyclist.....

Its interesting that even killing someone whilst drunk driving doesn't carry a manslaughter charge.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manslaughter seems pretty steepo imho, especially given his age at the time. Even if it's a crusade against illegal bicycles on the road, how are you going to monitor that, what with literally millions of bikes out there with wildly varying specs; whether they're ridden on the public road or not.
Nick Berry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think triathletes down on the aero bars racing through towns are vulnerable to hitting pedestrians (and they are vulnerable to getting hit by us). Not sure what the courts would say in the UK, as has happened elsewhere.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/One_Athlete_s_Midnight_Express_2886.html

Last edited by Nick Berry on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
ed_m wrote:

Its interesting that even killing someone whilst drunk driving doesn't carry a manslaughter charge.

Criminal negligence I assume?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Symes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems they are having two bites at the cherry, from BBC:

Mr Alliston is also accused of causing bodily harm to Mrs Briggs by "wanton or furious driving", under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
Seems they are having two bites at the cherry, from BBC:

Mr Alliston is also accused of causing bodily harm to Mrs Briggs by "wanton or furious driving", under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

I assumed it was just to get a plea bargain on the lesser charge but they are seem to actually be going for the manslaughter at the moment.

Sad case all round. silly kid does something most hipsters and couriers do, comes unstuck because of an iSheep not looking what they are doing, very common in and around London. Now there is one women dead, kids lost their mother and a mother likely to lose her son for a few years and his life in tatters. All for a front brake and a facebook post
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: