Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Killer cyclist on trial for manslaughter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
I did hear recently on the radio that people and society were getting more 'angry'. In line with this, people need demographic groups to be angry at. Obviously the DM is the go-to for jaundiced reporting.

Probably a bit rich saying this on an internet forum, but I don't think the internet helps this. People are much more likely to be rude and aggressive on-line than they ever would be if they had to say things face to face to someone. In just the same way, people will happily cut someone up or pull out in front of them in their car when they are in a protective metal box and they can ignore the other human beings and their reactions around them Wink

the internet increases peoples confidence in some respects, certainly, but much of this is simply virtue signalling...

there is too much self censorship in general conversation whether on-line or otherwise and thus the only thing left is to hurl insults...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the RH:PAC comment sums up what you're saying eJC

SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
I did hear recently on the radio that people and society were getting more 'angry'. In line with this, people need demographic groups to be angry at. Obviously the DM is the go-to for jaundiced reporting.

Probably a bit rich saying this on an internet forum, but I don't think the internet helps this. People are much more likely to be rude and aggressive on-line than they ever would be if they had to say things face to face to someone. In just the same way, people will happily cut someone up or pull out in front of them in their car when they are in a protective metal box and they can ignore the other human beings and their reactions around them Wink

the internet increases peoples confidence in some respects, certainly, but much of this is simply virtue signalling...

there is too much self censorship in general conversation whether on-line or otherwise and thus the only thing left is to hurl insults...
Ejc, re your last phrase, bo@@@cks! (See what I did there Wink ). I disagree. You can patiently explain, listen, reflect, learn, grow, offer an alternative perspective etc.

Re your first comment I for one find it much easier to interact on the internet than in person, for precisely the same reason I prefer emails,.......it's quicker.....and having been looking after my wife for two decades I have lost some social skills through relative lack of contact. So yes I for one may appear more confident on the internet, and to a degree probably am, but it's much bigger than that....

Let me explain.....

A couple of decades ago when the internet was a new shiny thing and we were impressed with the dial up connection tones, I stumbled upon the fact that:-

1. Just as words have intrinsic power to soothe or hurt,
2. And these words could become more forceful depending on who was uttering them,
3. You could force such energy in your words down an internet line.
4. The first time I really felt this back was an eye opener (that was on a Masonic forum iirc)
5. This is one method by which I suspect the likes of IS are able to so powerfully motivate children half way around the world. The esoteric force behind their words and images.

But again what the heck do I know, a decade plus ago I was discussing this sort of stuff in some of the more esoteric parts of the Masonic internet.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good piece on the subject by the Secret Barrister

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2017/09/20/some-thoughts-on-charlie-alliston-and-death-on-the-roads/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2017/09/20/some-thoughts-on-charlie-alliston-and-death-on-the-roads/
thoughtful, thanks for posting this SidSnot.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:

interesting, but although i skimmed it (see FB's post above) i still don't read much on her personal responsibility...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Ejc, re your last phrase, bo@@@cks! (See what I did there Wink ). I disagree. You can patiently explain, listen, reflect, learn, grow, offer an alternative perspective etc.

Re your first comment I for one find it much easier to interact on the internet than in person, for precisely the same reason I prefer emails,.......it's quicker.....and having been looking after my wife for two decades I have lost some social skills through relative lack of contact. So yes I for one may appear more confident on the internet, and to a degree probably am, but it's much bigger than that....

Let me explain.....

A couple of decades ago when the internet was a new shiny thing and we were impressed with the dial up connection tones, I stumbled upon the fact that:-

1. Just as words have intrinsic power to soothe or hurt,
2. And these words could become more forceful depending on who was uttering them,
3. You could force such energy in your words down an internet line.
4. The first time I really felt this back was an eye opener (that was on a Masonic forum iirc)
5. This is one method by which I suspect the likes of IS are able to so powerfully motivate children half way around the world. The esoteric force behind their words and images.

But again what the heck do I know, a decade plus ago I was discussing this sort of stuff in some of the more esoteric parts of the Masonic internet.

i worked out that words could soothe or hurt long before the internet...

yes people can patiently explain, listen etc...but not a great deal of that goes on nowadays...

funkster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41337440
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened: 'Jaywalker' hit by cyclist on illegal bicycle.

Reported as: Hardworking wife and mother hit by arrogant tattoed teeager on illegal bicycle.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkster wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41337440

TL:DR some "experts" will earn a lot of money to state the obvious and write a report
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jaywalk woman's husband is an annoying tw@t.
Isn't the CCTV footage going to come out so we can see what actually happened?
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is terribly tragic and I feel for the family left behind.

I do not like the media bandwagon that is following the legal juggernaut on this. I was watching BBC news yesterday morning when they introduced the piece with "...speeding cyclist killed mother of...".

Arguments of fake news aside is there a way to pull up the public-funded media on their rhetoric?
We know he was not speeding.
Did he kill her? Unsure; certainly in my mind he was a huge contributory but I am uncomfortable with the headline of killer.

The husband's interview drew reference to an article earlier in the same programme about car drivers always being on mobile phones and had an interviewee whose life had irrevocably changed as a result of a car-pedestrian collision. The husband probably could not say everything he wanted in light of the previous piece manipulating the viewers' judgement and appeared to be appealing to the general public to think more about their conduct on the roads, regardless of transport mode.

I am hopeful of asimilar legislation though I suspect this is just another smokescreen for the Brexit FUBAR.
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no problem with them introducing new laws for "dangerous cycling" or "careless cycling", or even amending the existing laws to include cyclists. I just hope they don't feed off the anti-cycling stuff in the comments sections and end up proposing a whole load of "cycling safety" legislation that includes bike tax, registration plates, compulsory insurance etc.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I've got no problem with them introducing new laws for "dangerous cycling" or "careless cycling", or even amending the existing laws to include cyclists. I just hope they don't feed off the anti-cycling stuff in the comments sections and end up proposing a whole load of "cycling safety" legislation that includes bike tax, registration plates, compulsory insurance etc.

absolutely....

Bokkeuk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a good comment piece in the London Evening Standard

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/rosamund-urwin-stiffer-sentences-for-cyclists-won-t-make-roads-safer-a3641236.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: